cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AIR CONDITIONER REPLACEMENT

turiace
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace a Carrier forward air conditioner in a 2004 Damon Challenger. It is a duct unit and has a remote unit and no wall thermostat. Has anyone heard of a way to replace with another make and keep the carrier bottom portion and replace top portion using an adapter. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two companies make replacements for the Carrier that I know of.. Since I had two carriers I have one of each.

Advent Air is made in China, the fan blows air through the condenser coils (Read on about that) so when you park in ye old cottonwood forest you have to take it apart to clean. Removal of the outer cover is 10 screws, inner cover is bent metal tabs and tape, not really designed to be removed, but necessary to clean.

On mine the fan blew up. and the only thing that fit was a Coleman fan, Colemans suck air through the condenser coils.. Way easier to clean, the fan is the part that decides the direction of air flow.. SO the last clean on my Advent air I did not have to take it all apart, just the outer cover.

YOu do need an "Adapt-a-kit" and you have to swap out one socket on the Carrier controls. YOu keep the same ducting unit, same lower unit, (Save for that one socket) and same controls.. YOU may need a TV repairman to change the socket, my RV tech did not know how (Thankfully I am trained in that area).

COleman,,, Again you need an adapt-a-kit, I was unable to get one so we went with "Local controls" and replaced the ceiling unit as well.
Not sure where made, but to clean you need only remove 4 bolts, lift off cover and blow away the cottonwood cotton. Way easier

Install
Remove ceiling grill, unplug upper unit from control box. Remove 4 LONG bolts

Lift off old, remove gasket, clean up as needed replace gasket position AC over hole.

Advent air:
Open control box and swap out that socket, plug in adapter "Y" cable,
Insert and tighten the 4 bolts included in the kit, plug into Y cable, close up and test.

Coleman
Disconnect and tape off and mark all cables from control/junction boxes.
Remove ceiling plate Remove control box from Carrier plate and attach to Coleman plate,, Carefully measure and then cut the foam board to size as per instructions, Insert foam board as per instructions, plug adapt-a-cable into control box, replace plate/Control box assembly Re connect cables

Install 4 bolts included and tighten to specifications.

Testm then replace ceiling unit. A lot more work

I was unable to obtane the 3rd party adapt-a-kit

I recommend the Coleman if you can get the kit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rosebud1953
Explorer
Explorer
Advent a/c also make a conversion kit. Any recommendations as to which is better?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
jetcare wrote:
A quick Google search of Carrier AC to Coleman Conversion will show a YouTube Video on how the conversion kit works. You can get the kit in lots of places for under $100.
The conversion kit is your best option since Carrier stop making rooftop units. Option 2 is replacing both parts and adding a thermostat along with running the necessary control cable for a thermostat.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
A quick Google search of Carrier AC to Coleman Conversion will show a YouTube Video on how the conversion kit works. You can get the kit in lots of places for under $100.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

Moved from Forum Technical Support