cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air operated stairs not working.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Our air operated stairs inside the door to our RV wonโ€™t go up flat to make the floor flat. They were not operating when we bought the RV. Sometimes they go about half way but basically theyโ€™re not working. When we turn the dial that operates them air just hisses out of it. Is that supposed to happen or do you think the dial is defective? I called Newmar to see if they have a new switch is but they donโ€™t show a listing for it.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40โ€™, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.
38 REPLIES 38

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your step cover make the step inside the Rv or does it just slide out straight and cover the hole.

This is where you get 12 volt actuators when needed.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/

this is the link for the info about maybe your step cover.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/step-cover-lift-motor-114580.html

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
That the new owner. Newmar prices use to be very good. could you post a picture of the switch and the part number. Also does it have wires to it or just a air /valve. Did you see anything wrong inside it or maybe just dry and dirty. If so WD40 and let soak and then blow dry. If it has 0-rings then lube them , new ones if you can find and try again.

Will see if I can find you one.

This is the backside of it. I removed it and opened it but could only go so far and couldnโ€™t figure out how to dismantle it any further, and I didnโ€™t want to break anything. I had the air pressure at full and the whole time I was tinkering with it air was hissing out of the part I couldnโ€™t dismantle. Iโ€™ll try and find a part number. There are no electrical connections anywhere with regards to the step cover. 100% air.

Something has to control that unit. Be it a rocker switch or a something else. If rocker it has wires and goes to another valve that has a solenoid. With the picture someone who drops by might know the info. Looks like the info sticker is on the left side there.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
That the new owner. Newmar prices use to be very good. could you post a picture of the switch and the part number. Also does it have wires to it or just a air /valve. Did you see anything wrong inside it or maybe just dry and dirty. If so WD40 and let soak and then blow dry. If it has 0-rings then lube them , new ones if you can find and try again.

This is the backside of it. I removed it and opened it but could only go so far and couldnโ€™t figure out how to dismantle it any further, and I didnโ€™t want to break anything. I had the air pressure at full and the whole time I was tinkering with it air was hissing out of the part I couldnโ€™t dismantle. Iโ€™ll try and find a part number. There are no electrical connections anywhere with regards to the step cover. 100% air.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40โ€™, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://photoposting.is-great.net/

post a picture

Click Select and go to the place you put the picture and click it and it should load. I could not get the drag and drop to work.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete me

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Newmar doesnโ€™t have the original part. They have a replacement switch that clearly doesnโ€™t have the 4 airline attachments. It only has two. Yet they insist itโ€™s the right part. And they want $1752 for it. And Iโ€™m in Ontario so by the time it got here, with the exchange rate and taxes it would be about $2800. **** crooks. Iโ€™ll just have to cut a board that covers the wheel well when weโ€™re driving. What a joke.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Does you dash not lift up. My 99 Mountainaire did.

Yep it lifts up. I can see the back of the switch easily. But until I posted this thread I didnโ€™t know if I should order a new switch or not.

A lot of these air valves can be taken apart and clean and put in new o-rings and they are good to go.

I took the switch out this afternoon. I can only take it apart so far. I eventually get to a point where I canโ€™t figure out how to go further. Iโ€™d post a picture but I canโ€™t for the life of me figure out how. Iโ€™ve tried to order a new switch but Newmar doesnโ€™t seem to have one.

Lots of air control places to obtain such parts,off the net. A picture or name and number off the switch might help. I don't remember how to post a pic, but I bet if you searched here, there is a thread.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:

Yep it lifts up. I can see the back of the switch easily. But until I posted this thread I didnโ€™t know if I should order a new switch or not.

A lot of these air valves can be taken apart and clean and put in new o-rings and they are good to go.

I took the switch out this afternoon. I can only take it apart so far. I eventually get to a point where I canโ€™t figure out how to go further. Iโ€™d post a picture but I canโ€™t for the life of me figure out how. Iโ€™ve tried to order a new switch but Newmar doesnโ€™t seem to have one.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
Well I clicked that โ€œpictureโ€ link and I donโ€™t understand a word of it. LOL. All I can say is that the switch is not electrical. There are no wires going to it. There are just 4 tiny airlines going to it. Itโ€™s probably more of a valve than a switch. And it hisses when turned on. Iโ€™m wondering about the hissing. I canโ€™t find anyone else who has one who can tell me if their switch hisses. If itโ€™s not supposed to hiss then maybe I just have to change the switch to fix everything. It seems as though the switch/valve is not routing air to the step cover but just releasing air instead. Neither Google or YouTube have any info that I can find. But Iโ€™ll keep searching.

You should not have any air leads as others have stated.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Larry. I will tighten the fittings today (once I figure out how) and let you know if that works. Thx.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
Well I clicked that โ€œpictureโ€ link and I donโ€™t understand a word of it. LOL. All I can say is that the switch is not electrical. There are no wires going to it. There are just 4 tiny airlines going to it. Itโ€™s probably more of a valve than a switch. And it hisses when turned on. Iโ€™m wondering about the hissing. I canโ€™t find anyone else who has one who can tell me if their switch hisses. If itโ€™s not supposed to hiss then maybe I just have to change the switch to fix everything. It seems as though the switch/valve is not routing air to the step cover but just releasing air instead. Neither Google or YouTube have any info that I can find. But Iโ€™ll keep searching.

I have an air operated step cover in my American Coach and it DOES NOT leak air out. One time, several years ago, it did, but I tightened the air line connections on the "switch"/"valve" and it has been fine since. I don't think yours should be hissing either so I would tighten the connections on your.

Just as an aside, two things: You need a certain air pressure to do the position change. You should run your engine long enough to build air pressure. Should be at least 120PSI. Second would be that if you have hissing, you probably don't have sufficient pressure to do the position change, so tighten the fittings.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog