cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air or wind noise from Dish antenna.

Bowlturner2
Explorer
Explorer
When we are traveling at about 60 to 65 MPH with a cross wind we are getting a REALLY loud whistle or scream from something to do with the Dish on top of the coach. If I stop and run it up and then back down this will stop for a very short period of time and then start again.
We have had this dish for about 3 years and have traveled many thousand of miles in all kind of wind conditions and this has never been heard before.
It started when we left our last camping area as soon as we got started. It lasted for all the last few days until we got home.
Any Ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it happens to be a MotoSAT automatic antenna, they did not have anything to hold them down when stowed. A good wind in the right direction would lift them from the roof and only doing a new stow routine would return them to a "safe to travel" position.
It might be possible for this to happen with something like a manually cranked manual antenna like the Winegard but it would likely do some gear damage as well.
What antenna do you have?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
When was last time you sealed around the dish/roof mounting area? As for that when was last time you got up and resealed all protrusions through roof and all attachments? I do mine yearly.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
" If I stop and run it up and then back down this will stop for a very short period of time and then start again."

When it starts making noise have you stopped and looked at dish?
Is it no longer in travel position?..........maybe wind is raising it up?
If so..might want to crawl up there and check mounting/adjustment.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
Bowlturner2 wrote:
When we are traveling at about 60 to 65 MPH with a cross wind we are getting a REALLY loud whistle or scream from something to do with the Dish on top of the coach. If I stop and run it up and then back down this will stop for a very short period of time and then start again.
We have had this dish for about 3 years and have traveled many thousand of miles in all kind of wind conditions and this has never been heard before.
It started when we left our last camping area as soon as we got started. It lasted for all the last few days until we got home.
Any Ideas?

May not be your problem but we just has a case of weird noise sounding like wind and thought it was coming over the stereo speakers. After a lot of head scratching we found it was the volume on the rear view camera which has one way audio so you can hear you wife screaming to STOP. Turned down the volume and the weird noise went away. Just a thought.
Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)