Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any comparables to this model?

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all

My family is having fun researching Class C's and came across the New 2019 Freelander 24FS Chevy 4500 Motor Home. We really like the layout but don't want to buy new. Are there any older floorplans out there that are similar to this?

Any suggestions on a MH for a family of six? We are leaning towards Chevy, prefer 1 slide with overhead bunk, not too long, and would love a built in maid :B

I know, maid service is not an option and the other options depend on personal preference but I like considering other's suggestions. You may point out something we never thought of.

Also, if anyone can share an equation to figure out carrying capacity that would help too. Not much info is given on used models. After looking at several models, my head starts spinning.
22 REPLIES 22

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
6ofus,

Ok, you didn't ask for it, but here's my advice. 🙂 (When we started looking back in 2002, we were a family of 6 as well, so I know a bit about the topic. 🙂 )

First of all, to put 6 peolpe in a 24' RV for ANY length of time will not be pleasant. Maybe if you just drove & slept in it. But sooner or later, they'll be rainy days and you'll long for more space.

Second, that U-Shaped dinette LOOKS to be able to seat more than the traditional bench seat dinettes. But, in reality, you're still limited to 4 people. There is only so much room to put your feet.

Third, how many seatbelts are on that floorplan? I didn't see it noted on the diagram I was looking at. You'll NEED AT LEAST 6, and having additional ones to allow the kids to change positions is a good idea. (Ours had 12 belted locations from the factory, but THAT is very rare.)

Fourth, do you really want the bathroom access near the main bed? Are there any privacy panels or sliding walls which give privacy for getting changed, other than the bathroom? I would think you'd want a longer unit, put the bed at the end, the bathroom in the middle ( an all-in-one bath, not the split-bath types that have the shower/tub on one side of the rig and sink/john on the other). This way, you can have three different, closed areas, for people to get dressed. The back bedroom, the bathroom and the front of the rig.

You WILL NEED lots of storage. With 6 people, you will have at least 18 pairs of shoes (sneakers, flip-flops/water shoes, hiking boots, dress shoes (maybe), slippers?).

If you have any children which need a playpen, make sure there's space to store that and set it up without impeding movement too much. If you need a stroller (or a double one in our case) make sure there's a bay large enough to accept it.

Oh, and stay under the manufacturer weight limits. VERY difficult to do with a growing family and a 30+ foot rig on an E-450 or 4500 chassis.

Not to set your mind off on too many tangents, but we originally started looking at small hybrid trailers to pull behind our Honda Odyssey. Then looked at larger trailers to pull with a full size van (which we would've had to buy). Then looked at Class C's, but I could not find one that would allow us to use it the way we wanted without exceeding the mfg. weight limits. As an engineer, I was just uncomfortable with that for my family. Some people don't know, or it doesn't bother them, but it DID bother me. So, that wasn't an option.

We started looking at Class A's, and longer, and ultimately ended up with our 36' gasser with a dual sofa layout up front. (Those seatbelts I mentioned earlier: 3 on each sofa, 4 at the dinette, driver & passenger. I also installed some across the bed to keep the kids put if they slept back there while we were on the road.) This was a VERY RARE floorplan for a gasser, fairly common at the time for the diesel pushers (DPs) though. But, it still had about 3,200 lbs. of USABLE cargo carrying capacity for people, food, water, clothes and stuff. It took us 2 years of research, but we ultimately decided that would be our rig. We bought it new in 2004, still have it, and have yet to see any floorplan I like better for our family. (Well, there was this $1.5 million dollar Prevost conversion, but that's a bit rich for us! LOL) Anyway, we ended up with a rig that tows our Honda Odyssey. Yes, we spent a lot more than we initially intended to, but in my opinion, the memories with made and the family it enabled us to visit was well worth it. We expect to keep it another 5 -10 years or so, maybe longer. Then I just might buy that Prevost conversion...once it drops down to the sub-$100k price range! LOL

So, welcome to the forums. Please feel free to ask questions. If you're new to RV'ing, you have A LOT to learn. It is better to learn as much as you can BEFORE you buy. DON'T believe what most salespeople tell you. The majority of them have NEVER been out camping a day in their lives. If you want REAL opinions and insight, you have come to the right forum. This forum helped us throughout our search and we owe a big debt of gratitude to the fine folks who helped us, and who continue to help with questions we have.

Sorry if I overloaded your brain a bit. But take your time and buy the right rig the first time. It'll save you A LOT of money. (And don't rule out Class A's if you decide to look for larger rigs. 🙂 )

Good luck in your search.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
6ofus wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Also be wary of the wheelbase and notice the differences between units. A longer wheelbase is necessary to help with carrying the load and with steering.

Check out the Winnebago Outlook 31N. Winnebago puts a lot of nice extras into their units, definitely worth looking at if you can find one.

I thought the shorter the unit, the greater the carrying capacity is.....

Absolutely true. With a family of six though, there needs to be enough room. Lot's of food prep needs to be done so a decent size counter is also required. Towing a trailer to store bikes, bbq's and other things to make holidaying fun is also possible.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Also be wary of the wheelbase and notice the differences between units. A longer wheelbase is necessary to help with carrying the load and with steering.

Check out the Winnebago Outlook 31N. Winnebago puts a lot of nice extras into their units, definitely worth looking at if you can find one.

I thought the shorter the unit, the greater the carrying capacity is.....

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I saw virtually that same floor plan just a few days ago when looking at a brochure for a 5-10 year old class C, unfortunately I don't recall which brand. But I do remember noting the same basic layout with the large rear closet.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2010 E350 Super Duty on a 28’ class C chassis with 17k miles on it. I spent a fair amount of money on it to get a ride and handling cigar close to my current Chevy 4500 on a 29’ chassis with 40k miles on it. For you younger folks the praise I mention is “Close but no cigar.”

The ride and handling in winds are way better on the stock Chevy chassis that is 29’. The stock Chevy 6.0 with the six speed transmission in tow/haul shifts better on hills that the V10 in tow/haul with the $500 “5Star” upgrade when cruise control is on. The Chevy also gets up to speed quicker when entering an expressway even going uphill. I have that situation here.

I look forward to climbing real hills out west just to see how bad the V8 performs.

For full disclosure here I am a lifelong Ford guy. My Dad had Fords. I have had Fords till very recently. But things change.

My new to me Leprechaun 290 QB can be had used with a cab over queen bed. I really wanted one of those. It would sleep six. But the head is in the back bedroom. My last rig. A 2011 Four winds Chateau 28A with no slides could do six no problem with no slides. No slides are cheaper to buy.

Hope any of this helps.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You are right to be concerned with carrying capacity. If you can find a high quality unit, you will also notice they are heavier empty than less expensive units. That family of six will use up that carrying capacity quite quickly to the point where carrying water as you travel, or gray or black contents, becomes an issue.

Slides also use up carrying capacity too.

Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if anyone can share an equation to figure out carrying capacity that would help too.

Not much info is given on used models

Yes there is!

They usually place a complete spec sheet on the wall of the closet when it comes from the factory. It will be on almost all of the used ones because no RV'er ever takes it off so the next owner will have the info.

You will find your CCC there and everything else you will ever need to know about that coach. And if a salesman says he doesn't know, which most don't, push him aside and head for the closet to show him! The private sellers will know where that spec sheet cn be found.

BTW with "6" in your family?
I would DEFINITELY recommend the V-10 E450 in a 31 foot Class C!!!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are a plethora of different brand used Class C's for sale that will fit your needs.

My personal advice?
Buy any Class C with a....
Ford V-10 Engine on a E-450 Super Duty Chassis

Power to spare and a chassis that just doesn't quit giving you a good ride AND steering. Just look on the fender if it says E350? Keep on walking until you find an E450 Super Duty! You won't be disappointed. :W

AND You won't ever be back here on the forum in the future complaining about ride, handling, power etc. If you buy the V-10 E450 Super Duty!:B

Good luck hope you find the perfect RV for you and your family to make wonderful RV'ing memories. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.