cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone gotten new RV tires in Boise, ID?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a small bulge in one of our front tires today so we gotta replace them PRONTO. We're in Boise, ID and wondering if anyone has dealt w/ a good tire guy here? Couldn't really find any reviews online for big rig tires.
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us
14 REPLIES 14

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
After pulling the weight off I am able to reach speeds of 70 and no shake on smooth roads. Now Ill have to check the rear tires when we get back to Michigan to see if there any lead weights on them. Still no contact from Les Schwab I'm glad I'm not holding my breath weighting.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Goodness I am SO SORRY for your poor experience.

We got our new tires yesterday at Les Schwab on Jefferson Street in Boise. We dealt with Jeff and I'm happy to say our experience was excellent. He knew exactly what we needed, was able to procure us new tires with 1013 datecode (very fresh), started work immediately upon arrival and had our front 2 tires changed within the hour. We drove 250 miles after the change and the ride was smooth as silk.

So, I can only say our experience was very good. I'm sure different Les Schwab have different ratings. I can't say anything about any other shop, but the one on Jefferson did an excellent job for us.

I DO hope you get your problem resolved.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
New update we left Nampa Idaho today and everything seamed fine until I got out of Boise in the rolling hills coasting down them get it up to 68mph. and it starts shaking the TV and the front cabinets, so the rest of the day I backed it down between 62 to64 and everything was nice ad smooth and this is what we did for 325 miles. We got into a campground and set up for the night to start our 1,500 mile journey home so I figured what the heck Ill check the front tires and I found a 4 oz lead wheel weight on the inside of the right front so I took it off and well see what happens tomorrow. I still have not been contacted from Les Schwab corporate what a way to run a company not have a concern for your customers. Ill keep you updated as to what I find next good or bad.

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Mody n Domy wrote:
When I got there and got the paper work done I told them I would wait in the MH they told me they were busy and would get to me as soon as possible. They went back and changed 3 tires on a semi truck that took 1 1/2 hrs. and this guy came after I had my paper work completed, while I sat and waited. First I had them put in the balance beads and I had to tell them to pull the old lead tire weights off. Second they only had 4" long valve stems so they put 2 long stems on the rear dully and reused 4 of my shorter stems but installed new gaskets on them now I cant rotate the tires but they charged me for 6 new stems. Third I had them install valve stem extensions and it took 1 1/2 hrs to drill 1 simulator. After talking to the manager and getting no where he only gave me excuses it took them 5 hrs and 45 min. for what they told me would take 3 hrs. I wrote a letter to their corporate office 3 weeks ago and have not heard back from them.

Gosh. I have to admit this all makes me very nervous. We don't have any weights on our current tires so I guess that's one thing off the list, but the stems are something else.

Hope our experience today is not this harrowing. Sorry yours was!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
AND, you just explained to the world why I will NOT go near a Les Schwab for large commercial tires......they are clueless. Have not had that problem with either Bruneel or Purcell Tire, as they hire and properly train their people to know what a commercial tire is.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
When I got there and got the paper work done I told them I would wait in the MH they told me they were busy and would get to me as soon as possible. They went back and changed 3 tires on a semi truck that took 1 1/2 hrs. and this guy came after I had my paper work completed, while I sat and waited. First I had them put in the balance beads and I had to tell them to pull the old lead tire weights off. Second they only had 4" long valve stems so they put 2 long stems on the rear dully and reused 4 of my shorter stems but installed new gaskets on them now I cant rotate the tires but they charged me for 6 new stems. Third I had them install valve stem extensions and it took 1 1/2 hrs to drill 1 simulator. After talking to the manager and getting no where he only gave me excuses it took them 5 hrs and 45 min. for what they told me would take 3 hrs. I wrote a letter to their corporate office 3 weeks ago and have not heard back from them.

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Mody n Domy wrote:
I went to a Les Schwab in Nampa Idaho just west of Boise 2 weeks ago. I had all 6 MH tires replaced took them 5 1/2 hrs and I had to keep watch of them to make sure it was done right. I wrote a letter to the corporate office 2 weeks ago about all the problems so far no reply. I wont go there again. Hope you have better luck.

Since I know absolutely nothing about tire replacement are there any "tips" you could give me about what I should watch for while they're doing this job?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Live in Meridian and the best price you will find in the Boise area is at Bruneel Tire on Meridian Rd just north of Franklin Rd. That is who I use for the tires I run on my coach. Also, Les Schwab is just 2 blocks south of them and they have decent prices but I do NOT like the tires they offer in 275/70R22.5. I tried Jacks Tire once and the price was right, UNTIL I saw the DOT date.....18 months old, so be careful of the dates.

Oh bum, don't know why I missed this post? It didn't show up the last time I looked?

We had to make a quick decision so we've gone w/ Les Schwab. Commercial Tire didn't have the size/type I needed and Jack's Tire would take over 2 weeks to get them (and couldn't guarantee date-code).

The guy at the Les Schwab (on Jefferson) I talked to is getting me new 275/80 tires with datecode 1013, so we went with them. Most definitely NOT the cheapest option, but it gets us back on the road without too much hassle. Getting them installed tomorrow and hopefully will be on our way right after that.

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Les Schwab deals with RV tires all the time. My last set were Bridgestone, but they carry other brands. All over the northwest.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I gave a direct recommendation, but I guess you have me blocked....:B

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a Les Schwab in Nampa Idaho just west of Boise 2 weeks ago. I had all 6 MH tires replaced took them 5 1/2 hrs and I had to keep watch of them to make sure it was done right. I wrote a letter to the corporate office 2 weeks ago about all the problems so far no reply. I wont go there again. Hope you have better luck.

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I was looking at Les Schwab and that's probably where I end up unless I get a direct recommendation.

Oh and cheers for the Commercial Tire link. Found their freight service center so I'll give them a call on Monday. All closed today.

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
There's a bunch of Les Schwab locations, or Commercial Tire on 1900 South Cole Rd. No direct experience with any of them, though.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Live in Meridian and the best price you will find in the Boise area is at Bruneel Tire on Meridian Rd just north of Franklin Rd. That is who I use for the tires I run on my coach. Also, Les Schwab is just 2 blocks south of them and they have decent prices but I do NOT like the tires they offer in 275/70R22.5. I tried Jacks Tire once and the price was right, UNTIL I saw the DOT date.....18 months old, so be careful of the dates.