cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Nah! We have downsized. We don't care for upscale, cost's more and the people are snotty in a lot of them. I'm a country boy with cattle and these people don't know me but still look down their noses. i actually retired from McDonell Douglas Flight Test and my wife was a Manager for Verizon but we don't tell them. People won't accept you for what you are. One of my favorite questions is when the guy asked what college I graduated from.I said I didn't, I went to Spartan School of Aeronautics. He couldn't wait to excuse himself.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
In 1996 we purchased a 1990 32' Itasca. Our son played football for the University of Florida and we traveled to all the games, home and away. No slides, no levelers, but we could afford it and it was great. We owned it for 5 years and the only money we put into it was for tires and basic maintenance. The next motorhome we purchased was in 2010. It was a 38' gas Safari Simba, with 3 slides. We were still working and could not justify the money for a DP being weekend warriors. It was a very good coach for us. We are now retired and going full-time starting in April. We just purchased a new to us Newmar Dutch Star DP 43'. Hopefully it is the right choice for us. We will let you know after we get back from Alaska next fall.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Dollar98 wrote:
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..

I think you have the right idea and with our first purchase, we spent just $6K and then a few thousand for getting it right. In retrospect, we should have only paid $4K. Alls well that ends well, however and we ended up trading it for a boat, during the recession, worth a whole lot more. With dumping the toys, I guess they needed a home, as well. Anyway, we had already purchased another unit and paid a little more, for upgrading the misgivings of the first one. It was only 9rys old and we toured all of the lower 48 in it, over the next 9yrs.
Now that we've finally arrived at the finale, I'm just wondering if we'll be able to get the same use from this one and have put 10K miles over the last 1 1/2yrs. It's only 10yrs old, like new and just broke in for the life ahead.
Story short, if you don't pay the big bucks and buy under low retail, you can't get hurt, no matter.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Every RV we've owned over the past 50+ years has taught us something about what we wanted in the next RV so, no, I don't consider any of them a mistake. A couple have been real "learning experiences" though... 😉
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
cjthegrandpa wrote:
Well I know this is a thread about mistakes and we are just getting in and are about to find out. We just bought our first RV and went right to a 2005 40 ft. 4 slide 400 hp DP.I have driven large straight trucks and semi's over the years used to have a CDL. So size doesn't bother me in regard to driving. We are about two years out from full retirement so we are going to spend these two years getting familiar with our rig. I restore cars so the maintenance and things breaking does not concern me. This has been a life long dream and have spent the last three years researching rigs. Paid cash, so never going to be under water. Already know some things we want to change with it and I will do myself. so I guess what I am saying I think I did the upfront work to prevent the mistakes but time will tell and I will keep you all posted as we move forward in the next chapter of our life. See you soon

To answer the OP question, no. In response to grandpa Welcome! I started like you 13.5 years ago. Bought a new 2004 40ft three slide Country Coach which I still have. However, I had never driven anything longer than a pickup and had no knowledge about motors and transmissions. I can do electrical, carpentry and plumbing so I was comfortable with the house side. You are in great shape with a solid plan. Enjoy your new life!
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

cjthegrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Well I know this is a thread about mistakes and we are just getting in and are about to find out. We just bought our first RV and went right to a 2005 40 ft. 4 slide 400 hp DP.I have driven large straight trucks and semi's over the years used to have a CDL. So size doesn't bother me in regard to driving. We are about two years out from full retirement so we are going to spend these two years getting familiar with our rig. I restore cars so the maintenance and things breaking does not concern me. This has been a life long dream and have spent the last three years researching rigs. Paid cash, so never going to be under water. Already know some things we want to change with it and I will do myself. so I guess what I am saying I think I did the upfront work to prevent the mistakes but time will tell and I will keep you all posted as we move forward in the next chapter of our life. See you soon

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 10 yo DP last year. Had it inspected and within the first 2 months had to service the dash air and replace the inverter. Now 10 months later the aft AC unit keeps popping the circuit breaker. The DW and I are still very happy with our purchase and hoping the expensive maintenance issues are behind us.

We spent 2 months on our coach last summer and enjoyed every minute of it. I bought it never having driven anything larger than my pickup with 19' bowrider attached. At 40' our DP took a little getting use to and with our tow car we're at 63'.

I did the research knowing that 40' might be a little big for some of the places we want to visit. But we are very comfortable in it and wouldn't want anything smaller. We visited perhaps 15 different state and county parks last summer but did the research to find the sites that would accommodate our size. We were many times the only Class A in the park and certainly the largest RV. But we did the research and all was fine.

This is our first and will be our only RV. I can't stomach the cost of selling and buying a different one. We did the research - I think/hope we did it right.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

NDFightingSioux
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... I don't think I've ever come across a thread on any RV forum that spanned so much time (April 2002 to July 2015) and generated so many responses! On this Saturday before New Years Day 2018, after spending 4 lazy hours reading all 50 pages of comments, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of how old the comment, the relevance of the advice is timeless. Thanks to all who contributed their "First MH buying mistake stories" for an enjoyable afternoon of RV-related reading. You have reinforced many of the good RV buying tips that I either have been told before, or just instinctively knew to be true.

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2000 Tropical in July of 1999 after researching and test driving many, many units for over a year in preparation for retirement and going full time. Have full-timed in it from April 2000 until July 2007 (bought a place in Yuma). had 94,455 miles at that time. Since then have put on an additional 36,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance The only repairs I've had were; fantastic fan, rubber spring on tag axle, fuel line to generator, replaced (warranty) six Se-Gi windows because of seal, a new water heater (hole worn through it due to wear from a brace that was not installed properly), a new furnace and a (unnecessary) speed sensor. This coming Monday (13 July 2015 ) I am having the front air conditioner replaced (along with two new control boards and new thermostat - which really were not required but didn't find out until after I ordered them)(because blower motor has frozen). None of the repairs required emergency service or ever interrupted a trip. All I repaired myself except for speed sensor and windows and air conditioner work to be done on Monday. That is it. Everything else is original, including all hoses and serpentine belt and still working (chassis and house items). Took it back to dealer once after purchase for a couple of cosmetic items and to factory for windows. Am on the fourth set of tires (8 per set) and second set of brakes. Have crossed the country 3 times, Canada once, Alaska once, Newfoundland once and back and forth between California and Texas many times. I read on this forum many times from diesel folks not to test drive one or else!!!! Between 2004 - 2007 I test drove about every diesel there was up to about $300K (now would be about $500K). Most did not ride as well or drive as well as my current unit (exceptions were Country Coach and Foretravel). Admittedly the diesels were all quieter on any climbs, only marginally quieter on the flats and all had more power in the hills (some only marginally). On rough and ugly roads most were no better and many were worse than my current rig. The difference in cost between my rig and a comparable diesel at the time I purchased my unit was $40,000. Paid $82,000 in 1999 and it is probably worth about $15,000 now because of mileage. Things seen and experienced = PRICELESS.

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a $100,000 mistake. But I don't want to be reminded.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo.
What a POS. Had it for 6 year about 5 to many. Moved up to a 2008 Dutch Star can't be happier.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
1985air345 wrote:
My first RV was a money pit and I wasn't financially ready. MHs are costly and complicated beasts. There is a price for all of that convenience!

My second one is still a money pit but we are in a much better position financially.

And buying a class A isn't all rainbows and unicorns. You'll need to get your hands dirty fixing any number of things that may break.

I second that motion and raise you one. Even if you buy a brand new motor home, don't think for one second you will have a trouble free experience. Unless you have plenty of money, learn to fix things on your own. Oh, and what about that warranty? Well, Chances are, you will not be where you need to be for it to be convenient to get to a repair facility. In most cases you will still pay for expenses and fuel to get your motor home to a repair facility. Then you will have to pay for your own lodging if you are not home or full time and can't stay in motor home while it is being repaired.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
My first RV was a money pit and I wasn't financially ready. MHs are costly and complicated beasts. There is a price for all of that convenience!

My second one is still a money pit but we are in a much better position financially.

And buying a class A isn't all rainbows and unicorns. You'll need to get your hands dirty fixing any number of things that may break.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

Michael_T
Explorer
Explorer
Sure did!Sure did! As a first RV owner, I was scared to try and drive something too large. I bought a 24 ft Class C Itasca Navion. I thought it would be perfect for me and my dog! First trip, I had a guest that wanted to come with me. We were OK but the reality was, it was too small. There were many benefits, but the disadvantages were I just couldn't accommodate even a couple to travel with me. (and that is half the fun!) I kept it 6 months and bought a Class A, 34 ft with a pull out bed (and air mattress) in addition to the bedroom. I can easily bring a couple with me now and everyone will be semi-comfy!!:B It is only 10 ft longer, but it has 3 slides and is plenty of room. Now, can I drive it? Guess we will see!
Michael in Granbury, TX
2011 Class A Thor Seranno 33A
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"