cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Challenger 37KT GVWR Questions

Maggiejan
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a 2018 Thor Challenger 37KT but I have some concerns that I need someone that understands GWVR and if my concerns are valid.

I started looking at the cargo capacity it said it has 1996 lbs on the little yellow door sticker does that mean It includes a full tank of gas in the number or not? I also assume that doesn't include the 100 gallon fresh water tank if I wanted to boondock(860+-lbs of water) as well.

If that doesn't include the gas/water that would roughly leave me 800lbs for people and our things. Is that really right?
4 REPLIES 4

Maggiejan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information! We plan to live in one full time and I love the layout of the KT. Mainly because I liked the front area of the coach for my daughter to have her own space (separate bed room) while she is travelling with me.

Do you know of any other plans that are similar to this what would give separate living areas? I didn't see any except for a model that was discontinued by another manufacture in 2008.

Thanks again!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If you're concerned, consider another coach. Right at max weight your tire pressures will need to be high and that makes for a lumpy ride.

Also consider that a number of members here have posted about their newer Thor coaches and are not happy with the build quality. You really need a good dealer to work out the warranty issues. Really, for $140K you could find nicer 3 yo coach in the 26000 pound range.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Maggiejan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information.
That makes me feel a little better, but still doesn't leave much for the cargo 200sqft of bay cargo area that you can't really put much in it if you are topped off with fresh water.

I guess that gives me 650+- lbs more than I initial thought for a total of 1100lbs of cargo with LP/Gas/Water full.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
The CCCC number includes driver and fuel but not water or propane. That said Thor does not weigh their coaches. To arrive at the actual available payload you need to have the coach weighed. Ask the seller to fill the tanks and get a certified weight. Offer to pay the fee. That way you know what the weight of that particular coach is with full tanks including water and propane.
FMCA member