cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Lithium batteries? Comments?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking at upgrading to Battleborn Lithium batteries with charger/inverter for superior boondocking. Tired of running generator/engine to recharge the 2-Optima blue AGM batteries in use now. According to Battleborn, this will be far superior than what I'm used to seeing in terms of consumption and the daily charging cycle. I use a Dish satellite for TV, lights, furnace, frig, toaster, coffee maker, etc. With their system, I could also run the microwave without using the generator.

Anyone out there have first-hand experience with Lithium?
33 REPLIES 33

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd recommend looking at SiO2 jars instead. They can be discharged to stone bone dead 620 times without dying. They are about 1/2 the price of LI. They can be used and charged at -40. They can be draw on at a rate of 9C. They do not need to be recharged to 100%.

The only negative is weight. The "best buy" is currently the 100 amp-hour battery.

For USA pricing go here:

https://azimuthsolarproducts.com/product-category/batteries/sio2/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There are some top end manufacturers/retailers that offer models that can be charged down to -4F/-20C without damage, by borrowing some of the charging current, and self heating the batteries. Both Relion and LifeBlue make such a battery. There may be others.
I have 2 X 100 Ah Relion RB100-LT batteries (charged by 3 X 100W ZAMP panels off grid) and so far so good. We don't worry about running out of power any more.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty here do. I've been using 6 of them since last year, very happy with the setup, but you will need solar if you want to avoid generator - you can safely draw down the batteries to 90% (I don't go beyond 80%), but they need feeding. For the microwave, you will need a solid inverter and beefy wiring.
I started a separate thread on cold weather charging of LifePO4 batteries. I built an insulated box (R10 styrofoam), with a waste tank heating pad and aluminum plate under the batteries to keep them warm. I also added a Victron temperature sensor to my equipment so that the MPPTs will not attempt to charge below 5C. Discharging is not the issue, they cannot be charged below 0C or you will damage them.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking of going the same route when my AGM's are done. I do use my rv all year round and that includes cold temps below 32F. 0-32F I'm on the fence as of now.
If you are interested , there is a good comparison on YouTube for cold temp camping.
"AGM vs Lithium Batteries for Sub-Freezing Solar Powered Camping"