cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Tire Pressure Monitors??

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone is using tire pressure monitors like the TireMinders?? If so how do you like them? Are they worth the money?? Thanks
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
44 REPLIES 44

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The all metal (brass or stainless steel) curved valve stems are what you probably would want for the rear inner dual tires in order to use TPMS sender units on the valve stems.

Some in this picture are what I have in mind:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/advanced_search_result?keywords=Dually+Valves
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have another solution to using the braided valve extenders on the inner dually? Do the make a straight metal one? The TPMS says these can be a source for leaks. Plus straight metal ones would make putting air in a lot easier.
2000 Coachman Pop-up

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
k9-keno wrote:
Anyone on the mount of the booster?? Check above post from me.. Thanks

I'm sorry I can't help on the booster. I use them on my MH and trailers and have never needed the booster. I would try it first and see if you don't get a signal. Then if not try the booster in the middle and adjust accordingly. I have a shorter MH so I have never needed them. Even when I had our 38' 5th wheel I never needed any booster then either.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone on the mount of the booster?? Check above post from me.. Thanks
2000 Coachman Pop-up

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
xlnt, tnx!!
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flow through vs non

It is easier to use a gauge to check the flow through tire pressure since you don't have to remove the sender unit. For small amounts of air, you can add the air without removing the sender unit. However, the sender unit does significantly restrict the amount of air that goes through, so if you are adding a LOT of air, it is much faster to remove the sending unit. Even then, you are no worse off than you are with the non-flow through, which requires you to remove it even to check the tire pressure with a gauge.

The only real advantage I can see to the non flow through sending units is that they don't stick out quite so far from the tire so you have a lower risk of hitting a curb with them.

I have the flow through.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
:: sigh ::

anyone, anyone?..... Bueller?

pros/cons: Flow through vs Non

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
My look on it is a safety addition. And the place I'm going to need it most is my tow trailer. As far as how long they last the company puts a nice warranty on the item and they give you free batteries for life. As far as the dually issue I have the long bent semi circle valve stem so i'll be fine. An easy way to tell if the unit is not working would be to take a tire pressure with a gauge then put the monitor on and ifs not within a pound or two you know its not working.
2000 Coachman Pop-up

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I can't quite understand the need for these ... especially on at least a small Class C where the weight is such that a failed dual tire does not overload the remaining tire enough so as to immediately blow it out. :h

You could definitely feel a front tire going soft ... just like on any vehicle.

As for one of the tires in the rear dually sets going soft on a small Class C, I had one in a rear dually lose pressure and I could definitely feel it ... as the remaining tire in the dual set then became over-loaded seriously enough (but not enough to cause it to fail suddenly) such that the rear of the Class C begins to feel real "wobbly" or "squishy" and not right.

Besides .... how do you fit them onto the tire stems of the inner tire of dual sets without fist installing those special metal tire stems that are long and bent in almost a half-circle so as to come out through the rim-hole to face directly outwards?

Also how many years do they last such that they're actually working (... and you knowing that they're working) before replacement, and how often do you have to replace each of the 6 batteries in the tire sender units?

As for having them on the tires on something being towed ... that's a different story and definitely a safety addition, IMHO.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to bite the bullet and get the TST 507 system, for the 6 wheels of the motorhome, plus the 4 wheels of the trailer.

I understand that it is unlikely that the flow through sensors will fit under the wheel simulators in the front, and so I will get the standard ones for there.

My question is, is there a compelling reason to get the flow through or standard sensors on the other wheels... and if not a compelling reason, any pro & cons for each type?

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the Tire Minder TM66 series. When it gets here anyone have any ideas on where to put the Booster that comes with it?? It says half way from monitor and the last transmitter. I was thinking right at the camper door entrance my coach battery is right there and it needs to be hard wired to 12v. Any other suggestions or do you think that will be far enough back I will have sensors on my 2 wheel trailer. Thanks RV is 31ft Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Wow guys thanks for the great feedback. I'm ordering them no doubt!!
2000 Coachman Pop-up

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
what are the advantages / disadvantages of the flow through vs normal style on the TST ?

TIA

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Tire Pressure Safety devices have been mandated on new vehicles for many years! I think that they started in 2002 or so.. .

They are a great device!

Fred.

They are only mandated on 3/4 ton and below vehicles. They are not mandated on 1 ton or larger vehicles. My 2014 MB 3500 chassis for my class c did not have any on it. My 2013 3500 Ram 3500 dually did not have any TPMS on it either.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Tire monitors are probably one of the best tools anyone in an RV, trailer should own.
I on my duallies before I had a monitor I had TWO inner flats, and I never knew it, till I pulled in for fuel and did a visual inspection of the rug.

I could have been driving a hundred miles or two blocks with those flats, no way of knowing without a monitor.
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400