Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aqua-Hot 400D

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

RV we are looking at has Aqua-Hot heat. Would love feedback from people that have used it.

Can it keep up in freezing temps?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Blaster Man wrote:
Are you talking about the 400 or 450? I've had two 450Ds, both have the hot water loop and provide heat on the road. Based on what they cost, there is no such thing as an "entry level AH.":) Also had a little 27 HP Yanmar diesel in a sailboat...it provided the hot water loop, too.

http://www.aquahot.com/

You obviously do not know what you are talking about. The OP was quite clear he was looking at the 400D NOT the 450 model. Aquahot makes quite a few models from inexpensive to very expensive, The 400 series is one of the cheaper units with not all the features of the more expensive models which DOES make it the entry level model. Doug

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
The OP says 400D?
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected, the 400D does not have a hot water loop to provide free heat on the road.
2014 American Eagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Blaster Man wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
65,000 BTU will keep up but that model does not get free heat from the engine while driving.

All diesels will heat water while on the road...but, to heat the coach, you must turn on the heat on the thermostat. The only disadvantage to the 450 is that if the heat is on, and you turn on the hot water, the heat goes off until the demand for hot water is over...then the heat comes back on.

No they do not. That is why MODEL numbers are important. The 400D does not have the engine assist heat loop. The 400D is an entry level Aqua Hot model. Doug

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
65,000 BTU will keep up but that model does not get free heat from the engine while driving.

All diesels will heat water while on the road...but, to heat the coach, you must turn on the heat on the thermostat. The only disadvantage to the 450 is that if the heat is on, and you turn on the hot water, the heat goes off until the demand for hot water is over...then the heat comes back on.
2014 American Eagle

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Very helpful

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
smlranger wrote:
Is the 400 the LP system or is it diesel? If it is the LP version, I might keep looking to find a coach with the diesel Aqua Hot.

400D The D stands for Diesel. The 400LP, obviously, stands for LP. Doug

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
An Aqua-Hot system is a must have for us too. Our previous coach had the up-graded Aqua-Hot where we had the two stage electric feature (two heating elements).

If it wasn't too cold out, we could heat the Aqua-Hot electrically and then turn on the 'fan' system to heat the coach (worked well when in the upper 40's).

You just can't beat the endless hot water capability. We had ours serviced every other year and it was a very clean burning unit, very little smell and virtually no smoke. You must get someone who knows the system to service it correctly.

Our new coach has the Webasto/Espar system which is similar.... ours has 83,000 btu's.

I would want the system to run off of the main tank which is most likely diesel. That way, you will pretty much have endless fuel too.

With the new coach, we were in a cold area for one month (below freezing almost the whole time). We used about 110 gallons of diesel and stayed toasty warm. Since we have a 230 gallon fuel tank, I still had half of a tank left on departure.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same 400D unit in our coach. I will tell you, that when we were looking at our coach, my uneducated opinion of Aqua Hot was that it was a highly over priced water heater. Boy, was I wrong! It is safe to say, that we will never own another coach without an Aqua Hot.

The idea of endless hot water is nice, but realistically, neither of us are one to take hour long showers. However, the idea that we are able to have the washer running, while taking a shower and never running out of hot water is great. However, the BEST thing we enjoy about our Aqua Hot is the comfort heat that it produces. The heat is quiet and evenly dispersed throughout the coach. We have been in some very cold areas and found that the unit produces more than enough heat to keep the entire coach comfortable.

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Is the 400 the LP system or is it diesel? If it is the LP version, I might keep looking to find a coach with the diesel Aqua Hot.

The 400D is an electric/diesel unit.
2012 American Coach Revolution

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the older 100 model. They are great and have no problem keeping the coach toasty in freezing weather. One thing to note is you will not have "unlimited" hot water at those temps but still plenty to take showers and etc.

A hydronic heating styem be it Aqua Hot or another is one of very few items that are on out "MUST HAVE" list.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...