cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto Park Brake Issue or Not?

Paleo
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 96' Winnebago Adventurer 32 on the Chevy chassis. During the test drive, when I tried to put the RV in reverse, the auto park brake would engage and you would have to wiggle the shifter to make it disengage. When u stop, and shift into reverse or any other gear, u can hear the pump whine, then the light goes off, so I figured it needs some maintenance, not a big deal.

Well, I drove it to the storage unit, and when I got to the storage unit (and even before then really), I could hear some brake squeel coming from the rear and maybe an ever-so-slight drag. When I hopped out, there was a small amount of smoke coming from the rear tire rims, so I assumed the brakes must be dragging some from not being used, again, nothing a little maintenance shouldn't take care of.

However, when I got home I started googling and reading horror stories about how these auto park brakes get chewed up and cost $4k to fix, I'm really freaked out now. From what I understand though, the smoke couldn't have been caused by the auto park brake b/c that's closer to the front of the rig correct? It seems there is some fluid or something that is sticking to the rear wheels, is this indicative of something other than just bad brakes? (PIC)

I was going to drive it to my mechanics but now am unsure if I should try to drive it for fear of causing major damage b/c of the APB, am I overthinking this if the light is off when I am in drive and the rig seems to roll fine? Should I have it towed instead and if I do, do I need to tell the tow operator to drop the driveshaft to prevent damage b/c of the APB?

Thanks for indulging in my paranoia ๐Ÿ˜„
1996 Winnebago Adventurer 32WQ
18 REPLIES 18

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your APB are drum type brakes on the back of the transmission housing and would not cause your rear brakes to overheat. I would check your caliper slide to see if it is rusted and not sliding. Have someone pump the brakes while you watch the slide. It is not hard to remove, clean with a wire wheel or brush then lube before reinstalling.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
A micro switch on the shift mechanism sometimes confuses reverse and park and will not allow you to back up because it thinks you went into park.

The switch has to be adjusted perfectly but from my experience when you go to back up and the body of your motorhome gets twisted a little bit it seems to somehow or another mess up that switch. The switch is high up above the left front wheel and can be lubricated with some grease if you can reach up there far enough with something.

I have had problems with it but I don't think it is a common problem because I don't remember many other posts about it.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

usn2beagles
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with mountainair05,looks like gear lube,probably an inner axle seal,look behind the wheel see if there is oil there,most likely the source of the smoke,(oil hitting hot rotor or drum whichever you have.I personally would not drive it like that..
USN2BEAGLES1999 MHC Residency 3490 2 slides
Toad 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 Xcab 3 Dr 4X4 /Navigation Co-Pilot 11 on a 17" HP Laptop
Good Sam Life Members / FMCA F380998
Live Free Or Die!!

danlaura@getthewebnh.us

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like axle lube. Take the cover off and you can see if it coming out of the axle seal. Ensure you put a jack under the axle, looks like you have chrome or Alum wheels.