cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning lights

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at putting a set of lights on or under the awning. Our last trailer didn't have an awning, but we never used it that much anyways. The new rig has a 13' manual crank out awing. Is it better to have the lights mounted on the body of the rig right under the awning housing or wait until the awning is cranked out and plug in a set of christmas lights hanging off the end? There's no power outlet on the exterior, so I'd have to punch something through the side or bottom no matter what I do. Also, 110v or 12v? I've seen both. There's a 110v plug just inside of where the awning is (microwave is plugged in there) or the ext porch light about 8" from one end. 110v needs ext or gen power to run, porch light will run on battery. One of many project for this summer.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
7 REPLIES 7

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a set of boogie lights led system. ran a bench check and they seem to work alright. Wanted dim able lights as well as ability to change to red for night vision. Will be installing them on the side of the coach under the awning box. video of the bench check at https://youtu.be/tABBNlZ2d1s.
will post installation when it stops raining enough to be able to work outside.
banks intake/exhaust

LifeInsideJack
Explorer
Explorer
When we remodeled the coach we rewired the 120v and 9v that was in the back room. These came from the ceiling and traveled through the existing closets. I pulled everything out of this back room. Cat, my girlfriend is an electrician, and she then ran these two wires down the back wall and into our rebuilt storage box.

We also ran a 12v to the side wall for future outdoor lighting use. If your coach is similar to this Tioga you may be able to pop out the side of the back closet to the outside.

We purchased an older coach so we wouldn't feel weird about drilling holes in it or eventually getting it wrapped.
Our website: www.lifeinsidejack.com

Our Motto: Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Howdy, just fixed my awning (new fabric) and realy enjoy it. I want to get some tacki lights also. I am lucky as there is radio/CD, 110VAC, 12VDC CATV under a samll panel next to the entry door right under the awing. I think I am going to go with 12vdc LED with realy tacky campers. Does anyone know were to get those? Thank you

http://www.oogalights.com/
http://www.partylights.com/Articles/camping-lights-string

Plethora plus of tacky lights! Just click on novelty for the real crazy ones! I'm partial to the ones that look like shot gun shells. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, just fixed my awning (new fabric) and realy enjoy it. I want to get some tacki lights also. I am lucky as there is radio/CD, 110VAC, 12VDC CATV under a samll panel next to the entry door right under the awing. I think I am going to go with 12vdc LED with realy tacky campers. Does anyone know were to get those? Thank you

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Good point on rolling up the awning in a storm, hadn't thought of that. Roller is actually attached to the side of the coach,Kind of like pull down shades so it might be easier to disconnect the lights. Fridge is on the left side of the rig, awing on the right, so that wouldn't work.
banks intake/exhaust

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
use a 12v led strip, power it from your porch light. 110v systems usually have a transformer to drop to 12v or so. Dont see any need to have 110v converted to 12v if that is what you need.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Since you don't have an outside outlet. Check inside where your fridge vent is. There usually is an outlet mounted on the side in there and the fridge is plugged into one side of it leaving one open.

Or if you are not a boondocker, just run an extension cored under the coach to pedestal and plug into the 110 outlet.

And....IMHO I do NOT attach lights to the roller of the awning because if a storm comes up you most likely will not have time to undo all those lights before you can roll up your awning to save your awning. And that could cost you your awning. Been there done that, don't do that anymore.

If you are looking to light up under your awning and not just for the fun of putting up tacky lights (that is what they call them no joke)!

I use a brooder lamp with a push tension clamp and use either a cfl or led bulb. I clamp it to the arm and point it upward and it lights up the whole underside of the awning. Takes 2 seconds to unclamp it to roll up awning.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.