Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info based on experience. Just got back from a "Look/See" visit at Meijers and of course they didn't have the under cabinet mount anywhere. I did look at a few of the wall mounts and the weight ranges- most would accommodate the 19 in. My next stop is out in the MH and a good long look at the cabinets and what can be reinforced because I know that by themselves would not be strong enough going down the road. Also stopped by an Office Max and took a look at several of their "office" chairs...one being on sale for $99. It had a deep seat for long legs, nice covered arm rest, fairly light weight and the back went up high enough for a nice head rest leaning back to watch TV. The width is only about 26 in and I think it will only come out about 26-27 inches into the aisle. I have to build a short box frame to support the chair and cover the heater and provide for one of the heater vents...but 25 inches would do it.....Have until tomorrow to take advantage of the deal ($70 off regular..so they say..) Guess I am not sure the style of recliner you were able to use. Is it basically outdoor furniture. I just figured that an attached leg rests would take up too much space given how long my legs are and I would have to improvise on an ottoman of some sort if I needed to.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Tina
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine
and the four furry companions:Herschel, Stuart, Blondie and Remi

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
When I removed the 24 inch TV from our BT I opened up one of the biggest cabinet area storage compartments we have inside. A little masonite to finish it off or any light weight plywood and while there stuff it good with insulation as there is virtually none and it sure makes a difference in summer heat. I mounted my tv at the other end of living area but mine is 27 ft. I used a double swing arm I purchased at Wal-mart. At first it was a 15 inch and now 19. This swing arm will rotate the tv 360 degrees so I don't see why you couldn't mount it under the cabinet. With the lcd you have so many options depending on your needs but freeing up that space where the large tv sits is great. Good for you making the space work for you. We took out barrel chair and use two of the folding recliner with built in foot stools that pull out. They are comfortable as any chair in my home, travel easily and can double as outside furniture and if something happens to one it goes in garbage and the 89 dollars it cost is not nearly as expensive as red wine on a good chair. I went through many lazy boy possibilities until I realized the solution was under my nose.

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
The twin will keep the aisle more open - at all times. If necessary and my daughter wanted to travel - it would be possible to put foam down and sleep in the aisle (Remember all it has to be is better than the tent she uses now ๐Ÿ™‚ I have an AKC ILP number for the rescued Golden so that I have shown him in Obedience and Rally. The two English Cocker Spaniels are finished AKC CHampions - a mother and her son. I have also worked with them in Obedience and Rally. The son is still a work in progress and I don't train as much as I should. The fourth dog is a Havanese that I rescued 1.5 years ago. He is just now two. I had never had a smaller toy breed before but had read up that the Havanese were good with people, children and other dogs - something that can't be said about all the toy breeds. I wanted a smaller dog to take into the healthcare facility along with the Golden. Anyway Remi has a few fear issues from his being a puppy mill auction rescue but his friends at the HCF have helped socialize him a bunch and from the beginning he had one trait nailed - the "I will sit in your lap or next to you on the bed for as long as you want me...." And look at you with big sad brown eyes... I don't have to tell you that trait makes him a very popular visitor.

Tina
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
So which breed do you show?
That model BT wasn't so much for offroad as to APPEAR like it was for rugged applications.
I forget how wide the twin is but remember that the box will likely give you more aisle room.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
36 in is the width of the sofa being a sofa...so I know if I put in the twin I won't be giving up any more aisle room. The sofa is fullsized when open but I don't need that much with just me. I don't think the BT was designed for off road...I was however pleased not to have to deal with carpet.....Would love to think it could handle a few of the tamer dirt roads out West. It would make for more interesting Boondocking. I use the crates for the smaller dogs as I travel...I have a fear of one of them in their excitement of camping to make the mistake of forgetting obedience and trying to jump down without a leash at a rest stop or restaurant......I carry a couple of the inexpensive soft crates "just in case" - they are also so easy to carry. The beige cover on the sofa is just a thick bedspread. I have used it long enough for it to have sun fade across the top of the sofa...but it does protect the couch! You guys keep posting and keep inspiring me ๐Ÿ™‚ PS: their are four dogs altogether and my Blondie is expecting a litter in the beginning of April...so the numbers will all depend on if I decide to keep one of her pups for me to show........
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
birdbybird, I love the pics...those dogs live the good life, for sure.

Our rig looks much like yours, despite a different floorplan and mfgr.

We still use the original dinette and sofa/bed (same one Cheese just converted away from). We tend to leave the dinette table down and forming a bed/sofa. When we added the two Katrina dogs that were young, we had two soft/collapsible kennels taking up the dinette/bed space while en-route. We store them under the sofa (via outside storage) in case we may ever need to use a hotel due to RV problem on road.

We keep sofa and dinette cushions covered w/ sheets to help wear and tear from the woofers.

Your pics show how much room there is in our small rigs, and how flexible the space is.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Birdy, thanks for all the pix! You mentioned 36" for the jackknife. Is that open or folded into the 'seat' position? I like your idea for curtains. I assume you already have the pleated shades. Seems that the curtains can help in cold weather.
Your BT looks like the 'offroad' or whatever model they had a few years ago, with aggressive tires and an outback kindof style.
As for 15" tv's, we have 2 Sharps at home. One has stereo sound and the other 'regular?". They are both reliable. However, the stereo one sounds fine and the other sounds like a 1960's transistor radio. Need to hear them in person.
I also think removing the dinette completely will give you lots of reorganization possibilities. I know I made some changes once I had gutted my coach.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would share some pics and the dreams of further revisions thanks to you guys

We call this the Short Bus. It is only 22ft long and fits in the driveway. Even better I can actually turn it around in the driveway with careful parking of the other cars. My first MH was 25 ft, had a slide and was wider. I downsized. For me, at this point of RV traveling, I am more interested in traveling and camping. I chose the ability to park in any parking lot and fit into the small campgrounds and smaller roads (not to mention the ease at which I can change directions just in case I might take a wrong turn.....) Since I travel by myself most of the time the slide just took up weight and was something else to worry about. If the pups are under foot, they are asked to move....

The kitchen is on the left as you enter the bus. I made a cover to place over the stove top which I really don't use, but it is there if I want it. The cover gives me counter space and protects the stove top from the crumbs from making sandwiches and/or salads.... I have gotten used to using the blue bowl for washing in the sink. In all I have probably traveled in colder weather more than the summers and and in any season I find using the bowl a good control for how much water I use. I don't usually even try to use the small built in sink in the bathroom. It is too close in there for me.

The bathroom is just big enough for my long legs to fit behind the closed door. The shower curtain is usually tucked up. I put the PVC rack together and then found the lovely small wire basket at Goodwill. It is my effort to provide accessible storage of the "pink stuff" I use with the toilet when I travel in the winter and room for carry on water, with a place for the laundry basket on top. It gives me another place to store stuff - depending upon where I am traveling and what time of year. It is light weight and can come out easily if/when I might want to actually use the shower.

This is a shot of the where I took the front dinette seat out for dog crate storage. The passenger seat is set up for "Herschel" the navigator. For now I store my chairs and extra stuff behind his chair. The crates can be changed out depending upon which dogs are traveling with me. Herschel is the only pup that travels uncrated. When I was showing I was able to get the grooming table and/or ex-pens in this area. Someday I will probably use the back of the MH but for now it fits here and stays clean and dry.

I founds these shelves doing nothing in our upstairs storage room....so, these spots are useful for storing the flip flops and hiking shoes where I can get to then easily.

The remaining dinette seat! It is pretty comfortable with the memory foam from the bed rolled up. My dream is to remove this seat also, build a small box around the heater stuff and get a small comfortable chair, maybe one that swivels. it would not have to come out into the aisle as far, thus leave me more aisle space

I have a dream for the jack-knife sofa too, thanks to some of you guys. As it is it extends 36 inches. I would like to replace it with a custom built box that would support a twin size mattress and that would provide more accessible storage and also cover the water tank under the couch. I often use the couch to stretch out on to read or watch TV and, hey, where is the room for the dogs? It would also be easier to keep the bed made up, etc. The clothes closet is on the right.... right past the couch/bed. The tan curtains are just held up with a tension rod. I found adding them this winter did cut down on drafts and helped keep us warmer. Hopefully they will help keep some of the heat out in the summer.

I have a future vision of replacing the TV with a small 15 inch LCD that I can get to go under the cabinets on the left side above the couch/bed. I think all that space above the front there could be better designed. I'm still thinking. Have not found a 15 in TV that looked or sounded reliable. Have any of you hung a 19 in under a cabinet (with proper reinforcement of course.

Okay, one more shot looking towards the back. The "shoe" storage on the left really is an everything useful I want to keep in sight storage. It hangs on the bathroom door. I also had a fantastic fan put in after I bought it along with two improved roof vents, so that I can circulate air and still keep dry. With only the two large windows it wanted a way to get fresh air.

Herschel and Remi demonstrate the comforts of home after a long walk in the NC State Park.
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I asked when we ordered ours, but was told to go aftermarket. I was going to attempt it myself, but have not gotten to it either way!
:S

We parked next to a nice Foretravel one time who had one. Neat stuff happened when they came home at nite and hit the remote.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my GM chassis but was wondering if any other Trail Lite owners B+ owners have a OEM keyless entry FOB?

I have power window and door lock options and had had other GM vehicles with the key FOB and would really like to have it on my rig.

I bought my rig used and the first thing that that I missed was the keyless entry, did any Trail Lite GM chassis come with this option?
Please advise, Thanks
2006 R-Vision Trail-Lite Model 251
Chevrolet 6.0 14,050lb. GVWR

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm the type of person that checks everything myself even if its brand new, it keeps me out of trouble most of the time by correcting small problems before they become a break down on the side of the road."
Me too! I want to know how everything works and what I can anticipate if something breaks down. In the case of a coach, it's a natural for me, a wannabe engineer!;)
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
I will start my battery tray steel plating and bracing this weekend.
I just wondered if others had noticed this design.
I didn't want my two new optima batteries falling out going down the highway:S
I'm getting close to putting everything back together for our first camping trip!
I'm the type of person that checks everything myself even if its brand new, it keeps me out of trouble most of the time by correcting small problems before they become a break down on the side of the road.
Thanks for the ideas:)

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Mainer

Our single batt support is different than yours. But can you see a way to form some X or other type of diagonal braces with steel straps or wires - this is how to stop sway in a structure.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Mainer, I'm frustrated by the (lack of) design of my single battery 'holder'. It doesn't qualify to be a tray. I would love to refabricate the entire area for a tray that would hold 2 batteries.
I think if you make some kind of reinforcement, bolting it up thru the floor would help with most problems.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
New problem

I added a second battery to the slide out battery tray and the extra weight seems to allow the entire tray assembly to sway front to back quite a bit.
So much so that I feel the need to reinforce the tray with steel plates which will also protect the batteries from tire spray as mine are located just ahead of the right rear tires.
I just don't trust those four long steel straps that they hang ~80 lbs. from after seeing how the tray can sway just standing still, never mind going down the road.
Has anyone else run into this problem?