Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Fly boy, I got an Element Brand tv at Circuit City. It is around 20" instead of the 23 that was there, it is just a better view. I have not mounted it, since I did not want to worry about it shaking in the mount, and wanted more cabinet space. I took out the old tv, and built a box of 1/2 plywood using the dimensions of the opening and the space left in the cabover area. I used the old maple frame that held the old tv 'in place' and inserted a piece of 1/4" birch plywood, and made that into a top hinged door. I included a short 'shelf' at the 'back' of the new box, about 6" from the top, and made a contoured bracket the shape of the rear of the flatscreen, and mounted that in a position where it could bear most of the weight, which is not much. In transit, the tv lays in a pad, on those 2 surfaces, held by bungee cord, and the door is closed. The area under the tv is big enough for a number of blankets or a whole lot of clothes. When we park, I take out the tv, stand it on the base of the 'box' and hold the door up with the bungee. I didn't go into a 'self opening' type of strut because I don't want to encourage any more rattles than I have.
Dunno if I have pix, but I will check.
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

fly_boy_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Cheeze,What size tv did you use to replace the factory tv was it the new light weight flat screen aND HOW DID YOU MOUNT IT.

fly_boy_1
Explorer
Explorer
cheeze1 wrote:
My '05 213 averages from 10 around town to 13+ on the highway. After some growing pains, and a bonehead inattention to a water leak when the rig was built, resulting in a soaked floor under the 'protective' plastic cover, our big baby has performed well. I love the Chevy chassis, and it's actually the first vehicle I've owned with 300 hp. I also dumped the heavy tv and rebuilt the box, and in the process of adding speakers to the stereo, had the good fortune to remove the cab headliner and with the liberal use of Great Stuff and silicone sealer, eliminated a LOT of rattles, as in other areas of the coach. It's not silent, but the silverware seems to take the edge off. The Four Winds versions are quite similar, but I cannot attest to the quality aside from the few posts I've seen from owners who seem to like theirs as well..

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also have the rear door Trail Lite and frequently tow an enclosed trailer with full dress motorcycle inside. Those rear steps work great except when you use the receiver. We bought a compact fold up stool (Camping World sells them for around $9.99). We just set that on the ground to the side of the trailer hitch and step around the tongue. The bike is the local transportation - fair weather only.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Reno3
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Jack. We have a Trail Lite 211S and we tow our Saturn Vue behind it most of the time. You know its back there but it tows well. Have a Brake Buddy to aid in the stopping. As you mentioned the rear door set up makes it a bit difficult to put the tow bar into the receiver with the fold up steps in the way and when you park you can't leave the tow bars on the MH because of the steps.
Dick & Judy
'05 Montana Mountaneer TT 35'
'03 Trail Lite 211 S
'05 Saturn Vue Toad
1 Bassett Hound - Beauregard

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
We will be picking up a Malibu Maxx which I hope to set up for occasinal towing. Any real world experiences with towing a Toad behind a B+, especially the rear door version like mine. I know a couple of you tow trailers, which I also did one time, but I was curious to get some first person accounts on pulling a car. Don't see many small rigs pulling Toads but there are times I think it would come in handy.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

Ralph66
Explorer
Explorer
My 213 has 11,500 miles on it of which I have put half on it mostly towing my 05 GMC Sierra full size pick-up (4,400 Lbs) or my wife's Honda Accord (3,000 lbs?) plus a tow dolly, gets about the same mileage. It does seem to be getting better though. Our first trip to Mobile, Al was bobtail and we averaged about 11.5 over all with a lot of city driving (no toad) driving about 800 miles round trip. On subsequent trips to Mobile we towed the pick-up (4 wheels down) and got 10.5 to ll.5 depending on speed and wind.
Last month we journeyed to Kansas City, Mo for a 1500 mile trip over 8 days towing the Honda. Towing the Honda was easier than using a tow-bar on the pick-up. Plus it made the RV ride much better. Almost every fill-up averaged 11.5 mostly @ 55 60 mph range through Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Then we ran interstates to Kansas City and back home through Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee averaging 11.8 mpg every tank-full running 65 mph.
I think with it getting more broke in it is getting better MPG, plus I think it is geared for the 60 - 65 mph with the 4.11 gears.
We love the size and drive-ability of the R-Vision Trail-lite, but like every-one else, we are working on the rattles.
๐Ÿ™‚
Yellowhammer
2004 Trail-lite
2004 Honda Accord toad

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to me that a pretty good gain in mpg can be gained by driving at 60 mph with 6.0 in the Trail Lites. I have had vehicles with the 5.7 (350), 5.0 (305) and also 327,307 and 267 V8s and the 6.0 seems to have so much more torque but without the expected decrease in fuel economy. Perhaps the newer designed engine and fuel injection style and heavy duty 4spd OD lock up tranny make the difference. I hope to install a Scan Gauge to monitor some engine parameters. My guess is the torque curve and fuel flow and OD shift point rpm have a sweet spot around 58-60 mph.

I read elsewhere in the forum that Monaco will keep open the Warsaw IN plant in their downsizing plans. That is where the T/Ls where built. I toured it last year with the R-V camping club rally.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
TrueLarry wrote:
I have been reading most of this thread for a few days now and it is genuinely helpful in giving me knowledge about what works and what doesn't...I am particularly interested in TonyTiger's switch from the Trail Lite to the Four Winds Siesta. We have been looking at the Four Winds Siesta and other than the GFI issue raised by Tony I haven't been able to find any comparison comments...Also just a comment or two on drivability versus the Trail Lite. Thanks to all the contributors for helping educate me. I am eagerly awaiting responses.
You might try doing a Private Message (PM) to TonyTiger and get his attention back to this topic. He has been very active in the past, but his latest postings are on page 179 of this topic. Just click on his name and a drop down reveals the private message link. (you have to be logged in). I am going to guess that all the Chevy chassis will drive about the same. He could address the differences in construction or quality. We have been very happy with ours and are leaving again tomorrow for a 1,000 mile trip. Our overall gas mileage has been 12.1 for 27,213 miles with a high of 17.8 and a low of 8.8.

fly boy1 - Your mpg figures are great, competes with the diesel sprinters and you have much more room and CCC. The 6.0 liter engines usually do better than my 5.7 ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
My '05 213 averages from 10 around town to 13+ on the highway. After some growing pains, and a bonehead inattention to a water leak when the rig was built, resulting in a soaked floor under the 'protective' plastic cover, our big baby has performed well. I love the Chevy chassis, and it's actually the first vehicle I've owned with 300 hp. I also dumped the heavy tv and rebuilt the box, and in the process of adding speakers to the stereo, had the good fortune to remove the cab headliner and with the liberal use of Great Stuff and silicone sealer, eliminated a LOT of rattles, as in other areas of the coach. It's not silent, but the silverware seems to take the edge off. The Four Winds versions are quite similar, but I cannot attest to the quality aside from the few posts I've seen from owners who seem to like theirs as well..
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

:W

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Our Trail Lite 213 w/ 6 liter Chevy has a best mpg of 12 and an avg of somewhere under 11, mostly flat at freeway speeds of 70. Will try to get you our mpg figure from recent 300 mi return from Destin on a tank of mid octane.

TrueLarry, our TL is 3.5 yrs old, 27,500 mi., and except for two alignments and a GM factory seatbelt recall, has not been back for dealer repair. I can do simple stuff, but any major electrical or mechanical issue would send me to dealer. So, I guess you can say we have had a very reliable rig from R-Vision.

Some of my earliest complaints were of overhead rattling. With removal of the big TV, using radio more, and just growing familiar to the rig over time, the rattling is no longer on my radar. My sense is that TL put together some pretty good rigs, and other B+ posts of the past also bear this out.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fly boy 1 wrote:
Just returned from 850 mile trip to Virginia with our 2004 23.5 ft Trail Lite B plus. This was our first trip with this rv it has 19,000 miles on the odometer. I averaged 15 mpg @ 58 mph both ways. It has a 6.0 Chevy for power.
Great MPG. Very nice!

I've been wondering how the fuel efficiency "Really" compares between the short model B+'s built on the classic Ford & GM chassis, to the same RV length Sprinter based RV's. I'm thinking if the classics were driven the same speed as the Sprinters generally are, weighed down (carrying less gear) to a comparable curb weight as the Sprinters because of their lighter ccc, and don't tow a vehicle as the Sprinters don't tow, then maybe the classics aren't very different in MPG. It also seems the GM's do a little better than the Fords with MPG.

It would be great if there was a study done amongst friends with the various RV's, caravanning together across the country on a 6,000 mile vacation.

fly_boy_1
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned fr. 850 mi. trip to Virginia with our 2004 23.5 ft Trail Lite B plus.This was our first trip with this rv it has 19,000 mi. on the odomoter i averaged 15 mpg @58 mph both ways.It has a 6.0 chev. for power.

TrueLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading most of this thread for a few days now and it is genuinely helpful in giving me knowledge about what works and what doesn't. We are searching for a B+ or small C RV and have been weighing the pros and cons of the various models. I am particularly interested in TonyTiger's switch from the Trail Lite to the Four Winds Siesta. We have been looking at the Four Winds Siesta and other than the GFI issue raised by Tony I haven't been able to find any comparison comments. I'm wondering about the number of problems encountered with the Four Winds - comparable to the Trail Lite, more, less, etc. - and also what do you like and not like as much about it. Also just a comment or two on drivability versus the Trail Lite. Thanks to all the contributors for helping educate me. I am eagerly awaiting responses.

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
Filled up at home after the return trip and got 13.5. That included the leg from Pittsburgh to Erie then back to Winchester. I took a short cut back which knocks off 30 miles but it is a very hilly two lane instead of interstate. Might have had some winds also since it was beautiful in upper PA but rain showers south of the Mason-Dixon line. Also the gas in PA was at a "quickly mart" and not a name brand station. Might have got some ethanol. I just need a baseline so when some one asks I have an answer and for planning if we ever get to take a long trip again.:(
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L