cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me and used RV came with two 12V House Batteries and would show 10.8 V just a short time after unplugging from shore power, so I knew I had to replace them. Some off brand car batts. Yep, those gotta go.

Limped along for 3 months with them not able to hold a charge until I finally got up here to Oregon (with no sales tax). Went to Costco here in Portland and got a quote for Interstate golf cart batts (2X 6 Volt) @ $85 each. Not bad. I'd have to install them myself, but they'd cart them out to the RV for me, remove the old batteries, lift them up to the tray, and cart off the old batts. Nice. All I had to do was connect three wires.

{Did check an Interstate battery center here in town and they wanted $154 each! Costco it is! Not a hard decision afterall.}

Hoping that they'll last 7-10 years. They are taller than the brackets the RV manufacturer installed for the OEM batteries so I'm fairly confident they'll do the job for a long time.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
9 REPLIES 9

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In states with sale taxes, bringing old batteries for the purchase avoids paying sale tax on core.
10% maybe doesn't sound like much, but buys you Hot Dog lunch at Costco. Make it 2 lunches when you bring 2 batteries.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You are welcome, Jeepgal.

And as mentioned, remember to wire them in series.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

jeepgal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We went to Costco and looked. They have them sitting there at $83/battery. We will bring our old ones tomorrow and that way we don't have to pay the core charge (or at least get it back right away)!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
lostdog wrote:
Gotta bring it up...ensure you have them wired together in series.

YES, two 6 VDC batteries should be wired in series:

Positive to house to positive of battery #1. Negative of battery #1 to positive of battery #2. Negative of battery #2 to house ground/negative.

If 4 6 VDC batteries, then wire each "pair" as above and then parallel the positives to house and ground/negatives to house.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta bring it up...ensure you have them wired together in series.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
They stock them so didn't have to order them, they have them in the tire section of the store. They won't install them for you, but they'll drag them out to the RV and lift your old ones out and the new ones in...

The core charge is $15 each.

Remember to measure your battery space first before buying.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

jeepgal
Explorer
Explorer
Good to have come across this post. We need batteries for our travel trailer, they are no longer holding a charge. I don't see batteries on Costco's website, do you have to go to the store and ask for them or order them? We are near the Hillsboro store.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm going to print these and staple them to the wall.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My first A had 12 volt batteries and I wasn't very happy with their performance My second coach had (2) 6 volts and they are still performing for the new owner after almost 8 years of use. I think your 7-10 years is realistic if you have a good charger. I had a progressive with charge wizard.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows