cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery detonation

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
It finally happened. After 3o years of managing large electrical distribution systems with very large dc back up battery systems and 45 years of car battery use, I had one explode in the rv yesterday. Detonation was loud enough to where it upset the wife inside the house 100 feet away.
one of the two battery, house rack internally exploded spreading plastic and acid. We had just finished a three day trip with utilities at the campground and at the house reconnected for charging maintenance. Every three months, I check levels and adjust with distilled water only. Batteries were two years old and required water only once.
I will take both back to interstate battery and ask for a discounted replacement and Interstates recommended test for charge maintainer. The distributor is good folk and will do what's right.
I guess the message is batteries do explode and when working around them personnel protection is important, along with ventilation, spark reduction etc. Googling the issue, that explosive force is similar to a stick of dynamite with acid spray as a kicker.

stuff happens
18 REPLIES 18

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I found this in my RV two months ago.

I also had a battery explode years ago when I was working at a gas station when I was a kid. It blew battery acid all over me. Fortunately I was at a self service car wash when it happened and I was able to immediately rinse the acid off my face, arms, chest. It sure did make a mess out of my cotton T-shirt.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
and they can do that without even being on a charger. Had one across the street in a car. People had been gone a full week and when to check on the noise and found the same thing.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
12 volt interstates. I will have to locate the charger info,

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you tell us what converter/charger unit you was using. Also type of battery 6VDC or 12VDC
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS