cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery DIsconnect ??

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if it's a good idea(or recommended) to flip our battery disconnect switches when at a RV Park for a long stretch(3 months). Shore power is connected to 50amp...Any reason not to disconnect? THANKS
9 REPLIES 9

Lizzyb053177
Explorer
Explorer

Help! I have a 97 fleetwood bounder just installed 2 new batteries which are now indicating low on dash (after 1 day) 

Ive noticed unusual sound coming from converter (someone mentioned it might be fan going bad) and my ECC box has been making a sort of โ€œcracklingโ€ sound. I live in my RV and always leave Battery Disconnect in the off position. 
ive unplugged the converter to see if battery continues to drain but im at a loss! Any ideas, would certainly appreciate!๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

You might have more luck posting a new topic than responding to a thread that's 9 years old. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Some coaches do not charge the chassis batteries when on shore power. If you install something like this you should be good.
http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html
My coach came with the echo charger (went bad) and I replaced it with the Magnum combiner.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNUM-ENERGY-ME-SBC-SMART-BATTERY-COMBINER-ISOLATOR-FOR-12-AND-24VDC-SYSTEMS-/221648566268?hash=item339b48b7fc:g:3xMAAOSw7ThUotRI&vxp=mtr
My batteries stay around 12.4v to 13.4v all the time.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't make it another battery maintaining topic ๐Ÿ˜‰
When you leave battery connected, something will discharge it sooner or later.
Ironically I had battery insulators leaking the current on couple of coaches.
Acid batteries disconnected will hold good charge for at least 6 months, while deep charge- for a year.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Battery disconnects are installed for storage, not for disconnecting while using the RV. IF you store with 120 available, you do NOT disconnect. If you have an Inverter/Charger, the battery disconnect will NOT disconnect the battery cable from the Inverter. A LOT of RV's with just Converters will have them connected to the coach batteries even if the battery disconnect is OFF and you are connected to Shore Power. The RV's that have the Power Converter connected on the USE side of the battery disconnect solenoid will then allow the coach batteries to go DEAD in 2 or 3 weeks if the Disconnect is OFF. The reason is, they usually connect the LP/CO detectors direct on the battery side to prevent voltage spikes causing false alarms. But to answer your question---NO, there is NO good reason to turn your batteries OFF when connected to 120 shore power or using the RV. Doug

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
kemer wrote:
Just wondering if it's a good idea(or recommended) to flip our battery disconnect switches when at a RV Park for a long stretch(3 months). Shore power is connected to 50amp...Any reason not to disconnect? THANKS

I always leave them connected since they are connected to the charging system.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have always stored my '03 Newmar and now my '95 Roadtrek by just parking them in a barn for 5 months and then starting them in the Spring. When I had my '96 Pace Arrow and my '89 Jamboree they needed the battery disconnected, I don't know about the '75 GMC yet.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The major reason for me when parked is to keep my battery bank charged up all the time. If flipping the DISCONNECT switch prevents the on-board converter/charger from charging the batteries then I would not do this in my case...

I have always thought the battery load for the on-board converter/charger units is very helpful for the converter/charger DC output regulation.

Some of the older RV UNITS actually had a battery check circuit and will shut down the on-board converter/charger if the battery has failed.

Of course the newer converter/charger units are better built and does not need the battery load to insure proper DC regulation but having a constant battery load is not going to hurt things.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely chassis battery is not charged by your converter. ECM, engine computer, can drain the engine battery overtime. so probably good to disconnect chassis battery. If you have a smart converter it can keep the coach batteries charged without over charging and boiling the water away. If you're not sure about converter then disconnect batteries. Most converters do not need a battery hooked up to function properly.