cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Equalization

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity.....how many of you perform an equalization cycle on your batteries? Do some rigs do it automatically?

Thanks,

jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
27 REPLIES 27

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries will vent whether the cap are on or off. Eliminating the need to equalize is the key, along with maintaining the water level, for longer battery life.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

et2
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
et2 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
et2 wrote:
How can it be automatic? Don't the battery cell caps have to be removed? It boils the battery acid and the fumes need a place to go.

There in lies the problem. The equalization in done at pre-programmed intervals whether it needs it or not.

Depends on the charger. My Magnum inverter remote control does Bulk/Absorption/Float charging automatically, but Equalization must be started manually.

So what do those who have the automatic ones do? How do they get the caps off, or is there a special cap? How do they ventilate the battery area as there are a lot of fumes and gasses coming off those battery banks. Sounds like accident waiting to happen by a explosion one way or another.

Which type of battery are you referring to and what manufacturer?
Each one has specific instructions on how to do so and some warn not to at all.

Flooded lead liquid batteries with caps. I did ours once with the bay door open and caps off. There was a distinct acid smell and gassing going on. I can't imagine not removing the caps or not opening the bay door or even sliding the tray out for those who can.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
et2 wrote:
How can it be automatic? Don't the battery cell caps have to be removed? It boils the battery acid and the fumes need a place to go.

There in lies the problem. The equalization in done at pre-programmed intervals whether it needs it or not.

Depends on the charger. My Magnum inverter remote control does Bulk/Absorption/Float charging automatically, but Equalization must be started manually.

So what do those who have the automatic ones do? How do they get the caps off, or is there a special cap? How do they ventilate the battery area as there are a lot of fumes and gasses coming off those battery banks. Sounds like accident waiting to happen by a explosion one way or another.

Which type of battery are you referring to and what manufacturer?
Each one has specific instructions on how to do so and some warn not to at all.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

et2
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
et2 wrote:

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
et2 wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for all the great info. I learned a lot from all the discussions!

jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

et2
Explorer
Explorer

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
All lead acid batteries, including AGMs are subject to sulfation. As the electrolite is fully contained in the matt on AGMs the electrolite is not as subject to stratification, which is the other reason for equalizing a battery.

Regardless of wet cell or AGM, it is preferable minimize sulfation in the first place, rather than equalize the battery after sulfation has occurred. The best way to do this is to have a smart charger that is plugged into shore power whenever they are not in use. This will bring the battery to full charge after each trip, keep them at 100% between trips, and shut the charging completely off when not needed. This is the best thing to do to promote battery life, regardless of battery type.
Leaving batteries in a partial state of discharge between trips (which is common practice for many RV owners),is a large contributor to sulfation, requiring more frequent equalization.
I view equalizing as a controlled frying of a battery. While it will fix the problems of sulfation or stratification, it is not something that should be done too frequently. There is a downside to equalization in that too many of them will shorten the overall life of any battery. "An ounce if prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
rjxj wrote:
How much voltage variation do you see,

Don't know what you mean.

rjxj wrote:
does it tend to not hold a charge as well?

Possibly.

rjxj wrote:
many volts does it go to for agm's?

15.5V

Maybe I shouldn't say variation. Maybe I should say just not performing as they did before. I have never owned any and have noticed that they dont charge at as high a voltage as wet's. My charger will work on agm so I tried that setting for heck of it and it's top voltage was about 14.68. BUT even on wet setting my charger put's out a little higher voltage so other agm chargers may do a little less than that.
So it looks like agm run about 1/2 a volt less overall.
Thanks, I always learn something on here.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've never done it!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
How much voltage variation do you see,

Don't know what you mean.

rjxj wrote:
does it tend to not hold a charge as well?

Possibly.

rjxj wrote:
many volts does it go to for agm's?

15.5V
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
After 2 years of use, I'll be equalizing my Lifeline AGMs soon. With my Magnum ME-ARC remote control, equalizing has to be done manually.

How much voltage variation do you see, does it tend to not hold a charge as well? How many volts does it go to for agm's? I've never used agm's

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 years of use, I'll be equalizing my Lifeline AGMs soon. With my Magnum ME-ARC remote control, equalizing has to be done manually.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs