cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery isolator in 2000 Coachmen Santara 311SB?

glennestes
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently noticed that the house batteries are not getting charged when the engine is running. Coach battery is OK, so I know the alternator is putting out OK.
Anyone have any idea where I will find the isolator?
2000 Coachmen Santara 311SB

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
6 REPLIES 6

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
glennestes wrote:
So I finally got weather & time to check this out.
The thin wire coming to the isolator carries 14 volts with the engine off, and the emergency start button engaged.
With the engine running it in not carrying any voltage. There should be, shouldn't there?
It seems to me there must be a relay or something somewhere not working.
Any ideas?

I think typically the emergency start switch (in this setup) is an SPDT switch with three wires connected to it. The common terminal of the switch is the lead to the isolator relay, the small wire you're talking of. The normally open wire comes from some circuit on the house 12V distribution panel. The normally closed wire is connected to the ignition circuit of the chassis, or something along those lines; on mine it's just the normal switched run circuitry. The basic idea is that when you press the switch, the house battery powers the relay to connect the two electrical systems since the chassis battery may be discharged too much to activate the relay.

At any rate, a good place to start checking things would be at the emergency start switch. It's possible there's some sort of a time delay or voltage sensing circuit or something that delays closing the relay when the engine is first started so that the chassis battery gets a chance to be recharged before the house battery is connected in (although, as I mentioned above, I don't believe my particular '98 Coachmen has anything this clever).

glennestes
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally got weather & time to check this out.
The thin wire coming to the isolator carries 14 volts with the engine off, and the emergency start button engaged.
With the engine running it in not carrying any voltage. There should be, shouldn't there?
It seems to me there must be a relay or something somewhere not working.
Any ideas?

Time flies like an arrow

glennestes
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
On my '98 Coachmen Santara, the isolator solenoid is on a tray next to the house battery underneath the entry steps.

I posted a picture of it and the associated components and circuitry (with labels) in this thread where I described some electrical upgrades I did last fall.

Thanks!

Time flies like an arrow

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my '98 Coachmen Santara, the isolator solenoid is on a tray next to the house battery underneath the entry steps.

I posted a picture of it and the associated components and circuitry (with labels) in this thread where I described some electrical upgrades I did last fall.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the easiest first! I had the same problem and the fix was to remove the cables and clean the connections on the battery and the cable. Problem solved.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad