Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery question

SteveMissingDix
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I have a house battery that is swollen up a little near the positive terminal.

My first question is what could cause this?

Second, I have room for another battery and I just wanted to know how to go about adding another to the house.
photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129918769@N06/16092136120/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129918769@N06/16093377209/

Thank you,
Steve
10 REPLIES 10

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if your replacing the batteries, then this will be a good time to add another one. Batteries should always be replaced at the same time with a battery of the same date code or very close to it.

Weak and old batteries will draw down on a new and strong battery....YMWV

-paul

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Sulphated, battery is toast too many discharges and over charging are a cause.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Overcharging is the likely culprit, but it can also come from a short circuit.

Your house system is likely 12VDC, so each battery would have to be 6VDC and be wired in series to achieve the 12vdc required. You can power the house with a single 12VDC battery but many prefer the extra amperage you get by having 2 6VDC batteries.

or two 12 volt batteries.
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

As batteries age the negative plates begin to grow so the case may swell. Time to replace what you have. If you dislike maintenance then consider AGM or LI batteries.

If you don't boondock then any type and size of battery will do the deed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SteveMissingDix
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Dakota,

The link you provide leads to SLA batteries. Mine require water and are not sealed. Were you suggesting I replace with this type of battery? I am not sure I understand your post.

I am new to having a coach so thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Steve

Dakota98 wrote:
Battery FAQ

What causes a swollen battery ?

Immediately remove the battery from the device. A battery becomes swollen as a result of overcharging.
Excessive current will flow into the battery after the battery has reached a full charge.
The constant current will cause decomposition of the water in the electrolyte and premature aging.
At high rates of overcharge a battery will progressively heat up. As it gets hotter it will accept more current, heating up even further.
This is called thermal runaway and it can destroy a battery in as little as a few hours. The heat will cause the battery to expand.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
IOW it's probably toast!!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Battery FAQ

What causes a swollen battery ?

Immediately remove the battery from the device. A battery becomes swollen as a result of overcharging.
Excessive current will flow into the battery after the battery has reached a full charge.
The constant current will cause decomposition of the water in the electrolyte and premature aging.
At high rates of overcharge a battery will progressively heat up. As it gets hotter it will accept more current, heating up even further.
This is called thermal runaway and it can destroy a battery in as little as a few hours. The heat will cause the battery to expand.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Overcharging is the likely culprit, but it can also come from a short circuit.

Your house system is likely 12VDC, so each battery would have to be 6VDC and be wired in series to achieve the 12vdc required. You can power the house with a single 12VDC battery but many prefer the extra amperage you get by having 2 6VDC batteries.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those pictures don't help much. google swollen battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think a swollen battery case is a bad omen, but I am sure some guru will comment. since you want a second battery might as well get two matched.
bumpy