cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Question

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 U2200 Interstate Deep Cycle batteries. I found some moisture in the Battery Bay, I don't think it is pure water felt find of oily, the water is not low in the batteries and I can't tell if any has boiled over. The batteries will be 6 years old in December the chassis battery the same age. The coach battery is on charge 24/7 through the inverter/charger on the Mh. The chassis battery is on trickle charge. I don't have the proper meter to check the battery.The panel inside gives me 1350 for the coach battery and 1342 for chassis. I don't think it a leak from rain but maybe wrong. any ideas. Thanks Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
3 REPLIES 3

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
6 year old batteries is getting up there. If they have been discharged a lot they are probably going to go bad very soon. A bad cell can cause overcharging (and boiling) as the batteries never get fully charged. You can test each cell with a hydrometer battery tester. If there is a bad cell it will read different than the rest. Clean it up and keep a eye on them. I like the baking soda method mentioned.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Matt. Check the batteries, look inside the cells, fill any that are low with distilled water.

Buy a meter. You can get a decent digital volt ohm meter at any hardware store or home center for less than 30 dollars, worth every penny.

Clean out your battery bay. nothing to lose, right?
sprinkle baking soda all over the batteries and the place they sit (if you feel really adventurous, pull all the batteries first. take pictures before you disconnect anything to make sure you can get it all hooked back up, it's really not a bad project. Baking soda followed by a good hosing will have your batteries and battery bay looking like new.

While you are in there, clean all the connections. use a small wire brush, and get everything clean and shiny.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Roy,

That moisture may not be from the batteries, but it may also be from just one cell. I suggest that you look into every cap. If one is way different than the others consider disconnecting that battery. It may have a cell that is failing.

Well cared for batteries can last a long time. What really matters is the number of charge/discharge cycles.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.