cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery questions

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the house batteries replaced with AGM's. I checked the built in "battery control" and voltage was reading 8.85. This was one week after install. I started the generator to exercise it, the A/C and charge the batteries. The gen ran very rough for about a minute and half, and then stopped. I will let the dealer sort the gen problem out since it's still under warranty.

I plugged in the 50 amp this morning and immediately checked the "battery control" and got a reading of 13.3. I left it alone for a while and it stayed right in that range. I have now unplugged the 50 amp and the voltage dipped to 12.9, did the battery disconnect, and I will check again in an hour. I have been told that leaving the 50 amp plugged in while parked next to the house will damage my batteries.

Also, when i do the battery disconnect, and then reconnect, the radio comes on by itself. ???

I am "electrical system illiterate" and would appreciate any possible explanations for this.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
21 REPLIES 21

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
RR,

Something you need to do is locate your converter/charger and the paper work (documentation) that should have come with it. Then come back and tell us about it.

Yes, all of the posted numbers say you have a problem, but how much of a problem remains to be seen.

I have a very old coach, and I leave it plugged into the 50 as long as it is in range. I have a good system and I have zero problems.

Matt

I will do that and post the info.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
At 13.3 volts I would stay plugged in with the battery switch on.

Down to 8.85 may have already damaged the batteries some with loss of capacity.

Damage to batteries was from old trickle chargers set at 13.8 volts combined with poor maintenance of the water levels. Does not apply in your situation.

Thanks
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
A mistake most people make is determining how quickly batteries charge and discharge. People think if you put a battery on a charger it should be charged up within an hour. This is false. Depending on the level of discharge, it might take several hours or even overnight to charge it fully. Also, a partially charged battery will discharge much faster than a fully charged battery. So, if you put it on the charger for an hour and then attempt to use it, it will discharge again very quickly.

From your description, it sounds like your genset issue is directly related to your battery problem. One thing that you said that is questionable is that your genset is under warranty. Do you have an extended warranty, is your rig new what? If your rig is new then why did you replace your batteries? Generally, batteries will start their charging around 15VDC and then that will drop slowly as the battery reaches it's full capacity. AGMS are different than wets also, so your on board charger needs to be told they're AGMS....Dennis

The following article might help answer some of your questions. At the very least, it will give you a little insight. Click HERE BOL...D

Yes, the batteries would still have been under warranty but I over filled the original batteries and made a mess. Decided no more wet batteries. The space where they are makes it difficult for my old eyes to see what I'm doing, and my back just screams if I have to stay bent over long enough to get the job of checking and filling the batteries done.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
RR,

Something you need to do is locate your converter/charger and the paper work (documentation) that should have come with it. Then come back and tell us about it.

Yes, all of the posted numbers say you have a problem, but how much of a problem remains to be seen.

I have a very old coach, and I leave it plugged into the 50 as long as it is in range. I have a good system and I have zero problems.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 13.3 volts I would stay plugged in with the battery switch on.

Down to 8.85 may have already damaged the batteries some with loss of capacity.

Damage to batteries was from old trickle chargers set at 13.8 volts combined with poor maintenance of the water levels. Does not apply in your situation.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
A mistake most people make is determining how quickly batteries charge and discharge. People think if you put a battery on a charger it should be charged up within an hour. This is false. Depending on the level of discharge, it might take several hours or even overnight to charge it fully. Also, a partially charged battery will discharge much faster than a fully charged battery. So, if you put it on the charger for an hour and then attempt to use it, it will discharge again very quickly.

From your description, it sounds like your genset issue is directly related to your battery problem. One thing that you said that is questionable is that your genset is under warranty. Do you have an extended warranty, is your rig new what? If your rig is new then why did you replace your batteries? Generally, batteries will start their charging around 15VDC and then that will drop slowly as the battery reaches it's full capacity. AGMS are different than wets also, so your on board charger needs to be told they're AGMS....Dennis

The following article might help answer some of your questions. At the very least, it will give you a little insight. Click HERE BOL...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Discharged batteries should ramp up the voltage to 14.8V for bulk charging and then ramp down to 13.6V for float. (see your battery specs for exact voltage)

IF leaving your RV plugged in damages the battery then your charger is rather marginal.

Most rigs have loads that cannot be switched off which might expain your 8.8V. And 8.8V is not good for the battery. Posting your battery and charger make and model should get you better input. Ditto for the radio.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob