cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route to Disney?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I searched and didn't find this topic...

We are taking RV towing a car going to Disney Fort Wilderness heading South on I-75 to Orlando.

What is the best route to avoid Disney traffic and get to campground?

Looks like either FTP to 429 then left on Western Way, or stay on FTP to I-4 and approach through Epcot on 536.

Appreciate your insight, many thanks...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
3 REPLIES 3

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
If you check on the "Roads and Routes" forum, you'll see that the topic comes up from time to time and there are, as you might expect, different opinions on the topic. When I reviewed those posts earlier last year, I thought that the most-informed posts recommended I-75 to the Turnpike, then to FL-429, then off at Western Way, to Buena Vista, to World Way, and then follow your nose. It was an easy drive in our 31' Class A pulling a toad.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
We found FTP to 429 to Western Way is the best route, Fort Wilderness is on the opposite side of the park but it is still a quicker route overall. Just few notes, FTP and 429 are Toll roads but worth the cost to avoid the traffic. The 429 seems to be dead no matter what time of day vs I4 which can be a parking lot a lot of the time. Also as you exit FTP to 429, as you reach the top of the off ramp look to the left and you can see the entire Disney property, you can see just how big it is and you can usually see the Castle in Magic Kingdom, the Spaceship Earth in Epcot and Tower of Terror in DHS. The drive thru the Disney property to get to Fort Wilderness has very little traffic, many of the roads are like freeways and is scenic too, you can see many of the other resorts like Coronado Springs, you can see the Monorail to Epcot etc. I also find the route that my GPS recommends from the east side of the park via I4 to get to Fort Wilderness to be very anti climatic, as it is basically back roads thru the park.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
We just came back from a trip to Fort Wilderness. We took I 75 South to the Florida Turnpike. And then the Florida Turnpike to exit 272 which I think is called Colonial Street. Took that East to Daniels Rd then turned right on Daniels. Daniel's becomes Winter Garden Vineland Road. Drove on this until we come to Vista Boulevard. Turn right on Vista Boulevard and take that down about 3 miles. The entrance to Fort Wilderness will be on the right.