cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best way through boston

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I'm in Mystic cn. Would like to see Boston I think, what is the best way? Whats the best way around Boston?
15 REPLIES 15

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Agree wit DickB. When we had Class 8 trucks, we would hire a cab driver to lead us in. Take the train from Rhode Island. Its only 30 miles or so.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You do not want to be anywhere near Normandy Farms if the new England Patriots are at home!!! the CG is within a couple of miles of the stadium.

We have also stayed near Plymouth Rock. It is well south of the city,but access is not awful if it isn't rush hours. Campground was nice, certainly not up to Normandy Farms, but it is full hookups and the sites are roomy and level. It is a fair alternative if you want to be there when the Pats are playing.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Shelbs
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
To get around Boston heading north:

During RUSH HOUR, take 495N. Much longer but little traffic.

During NON-RUSH HOURS - Take 128/95N. Much shorter than 495, but jammed solid during rush hours.

We are at Normandy Farms and it is THE premiere CG in the area. Lots to do here. If you're just looking for a base camp to launch from, KOA Middleboro is pretty nice for a KOA.

If you're looking for a place to hang, I agree Normandy Farms is as good as it gets anywhere. Another pretty good "base camp" is Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton. It's not far from I-495 and has a fairly straight shot into Boston
Steven
Faith
Abby and Sierra
2014 F250 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
http://www.sunbeltmobilerv.com

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your motorhome out on 495 an as others have said use your toad or public transport.

I95 through Boston is not a nice place to be with your car most times let alone a big rig. I was driving (crawling) along one day, late afternoon when I started to notice signage about it being illegal to drive on the shoulder. As I passed more of these signs I noted they had an "EXCEPT" clause. Apparently it is legal to pass on the shoulder between the hours of 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (times might be 3 to 7 but you get the drift)

Sure enough the proscribed time arrives and all of a sudden cars start pulling over to the right side shoulder and passing on the right. During the legal time the shoulder becomes the express lane! This includes across overpasses, cutting across both entry and exit ramps where they meet the highway and if the shoulder narrows the drivers just move left without even a glance.

Reminds one of a giant demolition derby where you seem to be the only driver even remotely concerned about not banging up your car!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
If you're militarily qualified there is a nice Fam Camp at Hanscomb AFB about 40 mi NE of Boston.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
To get around Boston heading north:

During RUSH HOUR, take 495N. Much longer but little traffic.

During NON-RUSH HOURS - Take 128/95N. Much shorter than 495, but jammed solid during rush hours.

We are at Normandy Farms and it is THE premiere CG in the area. Lots to do here. If you're just looking for a base camp to launch from, KOA Middleboro is pretty nice for a KOA.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Normandy Farms and take the bus tour of Boston. Under NO circumstances should you try to drive into Boston on your own!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Normandy Farms is a very nice campground and as close as you want to get to Boston with your RV
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven in all the largest cities across the country.

Boston takes the cake for being the worst to drive in.

kknowlton did the same as we did...stayed at Normandy Farms and took the car into Boston.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best way to visit Boston: camp outside of it & take commuter rail in & around the city. We camped at Normandy Farms (s. of the city) and the CG folks were very helpful with information about using the "T" system.

Best way to visit Boston with just a car & no RV: same thing. ๐Ÿ™‚ All previous negative remarks about Boston drivers are basically true.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
There are two ring roads around Boston, 95 and 495. Take one of them to where ever you are going to park and take your car into town. Boston drivers are the most aggressive in the USA, IMHO. Worse than Manhattan. That said Boston is a lovely city and area. Plus they have really good seafood. Some of the areas outside the city are beautiful. The small city of Concord. Be sure to go to the park where the shot heard round the World was fired. And I love eating at Longfellow's Wayside Inn. A place restored by Henry Ford where Longfellow wrote his poems. And Rockport. Gorge on lobster. And there are about 500 more really nice places in the Bay State.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in Boston many times. Would never ever consider taking my coach in there and I do drive in LA! And have driven through Atlanta and Dallas.

Roads are very narrow and drivers are insane, red lights mean speed up and green can mean stop unless it doesn't. We generally Park The tow'd near a T station and use the train to get near our destination then walk. Boston is small enough that you can cover most of the city that way. Of course Lexington and Concord are a bit further out.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived in Mystic for years and still have an uncle that lives in Boston. Boston is a very old city and has lots of little tiny streets. Did you drive in Mystic down by the bridge? Well, that is like freeway if you are thinking of inner (where all the history is) Boston. My RV is little compared to most, but I would not try to drive it in Boston. If I did not have a car I could borrow (has happened), I would rent something.

Do Not go into Boston in Drive Time. They are insane and I used to drive in NYC a lot and it was still a trip.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to take 95 around Boston since 93/128 has a tunnel that doesn't allow hazardous cargo. From 95, I would park the camper and explore Boston with a small vehicle.