cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Window

3Lakes_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, can this just happen on it's own? Kid was over and cut the grass today, but he says it wasn't him. I wiped down that window yesterday.

19 REPLIES 19

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
3Lakes Steve wrote:
There is screwed on interior trim around the window that appears to hold the unit in place. The sliding window is in a channel with some sort of vinyl strip at the bottom for the window to glide on. No room to lift out. Can't really tell how you might separate the frame to get the window out?

I have successfully removed Atwood sliding window glass with out removing the whole window. This technique might work for you.

1: Slide window open.
2: The channel/welting should be on bottom, top and one side. Use putty knives, pliers or what ever it takes to remove the channel welting.
3: With the welting out and the glass dropped down, it will be with in 1/16" of coming out the top. Loosen the frame screws. Use the putty knives to wedge the glass out of the frame. The frame will spread.
4: Reverse process to install new glass.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the DOT number in the lower right corner of the glass. Google that number for the manufacture of the window. Then place your order.
Or a glass shop can have the glass cut and tempered but good luck getting the exact same tint.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since most likely you will have to order the glass via dealer, they will know how to do it.
In the mean time put blue masking tape over it.

3Lakes_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
There is screwed on interior trim around the window that appears to hold the unit in place. The sliding window is in a channel with some sort of vinyl strip at the bottom for the window to glide on. No room to lift out. Can't really tell how you might separate the frame to get the window out?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glass shop will not cut heat-treated glass for you.
You need to custom order it and manufacturer is probably the best start.
Can you unscrew the window frame from the coach?

3Lakes_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know how to get the window out of the frame? It's the operable window, and my thought was to take it to a glass shop for replacement.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Shattered mine with the lawnmower. Cutting the grass hit something, it bounced off the side of the house and hit the window. Later that day came out and the window was shattered. It must have hit the window and chipped it, later when it got hot the window shattered. I tried blaming the dog, but she just gave me that look "Really you are going to blame this on me".

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me when I blow the picture up it looks like a slight impact from the right side in the middle of the glass. The cracks seem to radiate from that point. Having said that if it is safety glass it has a lot of surface tension built up to the mfg process, some upwards of 10,000 psi. With an Al frame that expands twice that of glass in the hot sun trapping it, it would not take much of an impact to shatter it. Another problem occurs if the edges of the glass are not smooth or polished a crack can start from there. If you notice that the safety glass breakers have just a small diamond tip that will shatter the glass better than a hammer because the psi is greater.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That does not look like impact damage.. It looks like heat stress. I have seen both several times. If it was impact damage it would have to be a hit from something far too big for the lawn mower to toss since the entire window is shattered with no point of impact apparent (Something like a flat shovel swung might do it) a rock would have left a clear point of impact. with lines radiating.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, whatever the temperature is outside it will be 7 to 10 degrees warmer in the direct sun. One year before I retired, I worked the overnight shift and was driving home and got a rock ding on my windshield. When I woke up in the PM it was 80* and the ding turned into a large border to border crack. My trip to Novus ended up replacing the windshield.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "spider web" has its center at 3 oclock
Tempered glass doesn't break that easy.
Once on junk yard, I wanted to break one of those triangle windows on VW. Had half-axle handy and took me 3 or 4 swings -stronger and stronger to shatter it.
Tempered glass can stay together like that till you push it and then you have million small pieces.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
3Lakes Steve wrote:
High today was 80, Mostly sunny

The interior temp can go way above 80 degrees. Also I see what looks like a curtain or something behind the window so that little void can get very hot.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I had one just like it. Broke on its own from the heat. Took it off at the hinge and brought it to a glass repair place and they fixed it for less than $100.00. Not really a big deal!!
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the mower did it there would be a telltale sign of a rock.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman