cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run both AC's in Texas

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fleetwood Excursion 2008. My power kicks off if I run. Both AC's. all power goes down. It is HOT in Texas. The coach is 40 foot and should really cool us. Some electrical parts work plugs only, some lights. What is going on? If I start the coach the power will power up but still only 1 ac. Until it de idea to kick off. Then I start the motor and can get power to reset. NO clue
40 REPLIES 40

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
OK, good, you are cooling off with generator powering both A/C's.

That tells us that your 120 VAC system from ATS(Automatic Transfer Box) onward is OK, since both generator and shore power share exactly the same wiring and connections from the ATS coach-ward. Also, that the converter that charges your batteries is LIKELY OK, since everything works now-- both 120 VAC and 12 VDC.

SO, the problem is either in the CG side of things, your cord or your cord's connection to the ATS.

With a voltmeter (your own or borrow one-- almost everyone carries one):

If you don't have a voltmeter or are uncomfortable working with 120 VAC power, I am positive that someone else in the CG would be happy to help. Go to the CG outlet:

From either outer straight (hot) to center straight (neutral) or center round= 120 VAC.

From center straight to center round= 0 VAC

From outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC

If that is as it should be, continue:

Look closely at the plug end that you plug into the CG outlet. Any sign of overheating? Pitted or off color metal or is it nice, clean copper. If not overheated, but copper not bright and shiny, you can use fine sand paper to "dress it".

At the coach end of the shore power cord, you need to check that all connections are clean and tight. DO THIS ONLY, REPEAT ONLY WITH GENERATOR OFF, SHORE POWER DISCONNECTED AND INVERTER TURNED OFF.

You/have someone else open the ATS and check the connections there.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Follow what Brett asked about.
Go to your RIG main circuit breaker panel. Disconnect the dual main breaker.
Verify that the air conditioner thermostat is turned off.
Turn on generator, wait a few minutes.
Turn on main (Rig breaker) then turn on air conditioner.
What happens?

Start with this first.

You asked about weak converters. 40 ft rigs on 50amps normally have an inverter/charger. Next with 50 amps, your rig is capable of running both air conditioners, microwave and the water heater (electric).

If you do not have an energy management system (EMS), then it is possible you have a bad automatic transfer switch (ATS).

To trouble shoot from a distance, you will need to record exactly what is happening and when, otherwise all we can do is guess.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
120VAC AC coming from your generator set is no difference than coming from the shore power connection. Only the 120VAC level may be different. You may also have a surge protector plugged in on the shore power side which may need reset or replaced. You will have a AC transfer switch also that selects either the 120VAC coming from the shore power connection or the generator. That may be bad as well...

Those are the only things I can think of that might be in your 120VAC circuit. We all thought for sure you was using the 50A to 30A adapter which is known to give symptoms like you was describing but you have rulled that out now... This is why everyone was asking twice about that.

Sometimes the GFCI breakers get tripped and cause strange thing to not work. You should have about three of those in the trailer usually where you might have a water source.. Kitchen Sink, Shower, and wash up area around the bedroom. Might check and see if one of those may needs reset.

I'm just plugging away here. Have never set foot inside a motorhome before haha.. Most everything is the same whether it is a RV trailer or motorhome...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone should carry one of these small inexpensive mulitimeters from WALMART/LOWES Only cost $7-$20 and will read both your 120VAC circuits as well as your battery circuits.

I also use one of these RV 120VAC plug-in meters. It has the safe "GREEN SCALE" printed on the face. If the 120VAC is not within this safe zone then I dont turn on my air conditioners... I got mine from AMAZON.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the confusion guys... I was plugged into a 50 amp box shore side. I only got small amt of power, only 1 ac would run at a time with some plugs using small fans. If I am plugged into shore everything shuts off when hot and turning on 2nd ac. Or sometimes just a light. Forget about the microwave.

I have done as Wolfe 10 suggested and unplugged from shore turned on generator. I am now running both AC's drawing between 20 and 19 amps according. To load meter panel.

What kind of meter do I need to buy to check the voltage?

What do I need to tell the service people in Abilene Monday I need them to check?

If I can fix this it would be much better for me

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rayburn - great there was some confusion on here which one you was connected to. You are plugged straight into the four prong 50AMP plug i.e. not using an adapter and plugged into the 30AMP connector.

If you was plugged into the 30AMP side then that would answer some of your 120VAC problems.

You mentioned the converter awhile ago.. The converter run from 120VAC and produces 12VDC which replaces the battery when you are connected to shore power. It also charges your battery when you are on shore power. Should not have anything to do with being week and affecting your 120VAC issues.

If the converter AND the battery was not working or connected to the 12VDC side of the Power Distribution Panel it could kill your air conditioner thermostat which is operated from 12VDC. I dont have a 50AMP power distribution flow diagram here but this is a 30AMP electrical layout - maybe this help understand what is connected to what...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
I have disconnected and am on generator power. Both ac running right now . Pulling 19 on the load meter panel. What else should I turn on?

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
The more specifics you give us the more we can help.

When you say starting the engine (main engine I assume, not generator) allows one A/C to turn on, that would indicate a problem with the 12 VDC side of things (if you have a 12 VDC thermostat).

Do this. Turn off all heavy loads. Unplug from shore power. Start the generator. Turn on A/C's etc. Now what works,doesn't work?

jmerritt
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a meter so that you can meter both 110V circuits from your 50 amp power chord to your service panel? Verify you have 110v at both circuits. If not then you either have a bad 50 amp plug or a bad connection at the park pedestal. Also, check to see if you have a junction box between your power chord and the service panel. If you do check the connections there to be sure everything is clean and tight. Converters convert AC to DC and you problem sounds more like an AC one, a missing side of your 50 amp service sounds more like your problem.

John
2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th Wheel 32'

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Can you isolate the problem? Can you run either A/C by itself? If one has problems and the other doesn't it may be A/C. If a compressor goes bad it will drag everything down.

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
I am connected straight into a 50 amp plug

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Answer this question.... This is a typical camp ground pedestal showing the 50A and the 30A connectors..

Are you connected to the four prong 50AMP connector or the three prong 30AMP connector using an ADAPTER CORD...

Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone experienced a problem with a weak converter Causing the coach power to shut down randomly? My problem of power shut down seems to happen during the day when it is hot....it is like I am not getting enough power to the coach in spite of 50 amp plug in. This same problem has occurred at another park so I know it is a coach power issue. Again could I have a weak converter?

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
Someone told me this could be a weak converter which could be reducing the 120 power the ac needs to run does that sound reasonable.?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a quickie diagram will help

This is a Trailer power panel being fed by 50AMPS. You can see the RED and BLACK cables each feeding a leg inside your trailer. Each leg has an air conditioner. This allows you to turn on both air conditioners/

This is what happens if you can only connect your trailer to a 30AMP Pedestal. Notice the power adapter has a built in jumper that connects the 30AMP service to the two trailer legs. You can turn on both air conditions in this mode but chances are your 30AMP source is not enough to run both air conditioners at the same time.

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS