cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon Monoxide Detector

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
The carbon monoxide detector on my newly purchased motor home expired in 2009. I want to replace it.

Is there a difference between a regular carbon monoxide detector and one used in an RV?

The one in the motor home now is a Costar Model 9RV. It states:

"Single Station Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Also suitable for use in Recreational Vehicles"

It is the round shape that looks the same as the smoke alarm rather than one installed lower in the motor home. It was installed in the ceiling.

Could I just buy a round carbon monoxide detector from Home Depot and install it?
18 REPLIES 18

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
My CO detector has a non replaceable 10 year battery. By that time the sensor is no good any more so is time to replace the whole thing anyway. Kidde says the batteries will probably last longer with the cold weather storage so I should pay attention to the expiration date and not wait for the low battery alert. Pay attention to that if you get something similar.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a battery powered one from Lowe's that was cheaper than the RV versions and have complete confidence in it. Just make it a routine to replace the battery.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
It is battery operated.

That is what I thought too. They usually mount them low near the floor which would be the first place for carbon monoxide to collect. By the time it reached the ceiling, it may be too late.

However, it was installed in the ceiling.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it 12VDC or battery powered?
That will make the only difference.
BTW ceiling is absolutely the wrong place for carbon monoxide detectors.
Smoke alarms, yes, ceiling mount.