cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carpet glue down

ASY2003
Explorer
Explorer
The carpet under my living room slide out rolls up under the slide when it is being closed. How best to glue it down or is this a sign of a bigger problem? Would I have to remove the slide out to do this properly?

It is a 2003 Alfa 40 foot diesel and I just got it and have never had slides before.
9 REPLIES 9

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
ASY2003 wrote:
Thanks to all. I will try the contact cement and let you know.

I fear though I need an adjustment to the slide as when closed the slide floor is about an inch or more above the inside floor and doesn't seem completely level to me. That is unlike new ones I have seen at dealerships. Their gaps are much tighter and level.

So I'll try the contact cement and let it dry good and see if it tears it up again when I close it.

So if that turns out to be it, is that something you can do yourself or is that a dealer only thing?

Again thanks.

I can't answer your question about adjusting the slide out. I would think it is possible to do yourself but I haven't had to do it...yet! lol
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
I re carpeted a class C including the engine cover and used contact cement. None of it ever came loose. You could try that combined with some carpet tacks or large staples. When using contact cement, keep the interior well ventilated. The other thing is to make sure the slide is not rubbing too hard on the flooring.

There is now some water-based latex contact cement available that doesn't produce anywhere near the fumes that traditional contact cement does. Unfortunately, while it's much nicer in that regard, in my experience it completely fails at actually holding things together. I suggest avoiding it. (Some claim it works better with very warm ambient temperatures.)

Yes, I tried the water based stuff and in my opinion it is not nearly as strong as the regular (stinky stuff) old yellow contact cement.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
Drew is correct, the water based contact is junk. Don't smoke and turn off any pilot lights and use the original contact
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

ASY2003
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I will try the contact cement and let you know.

I fear though I need an adjustment to the slide as when closed the slide floor is about an inch or more above the inside floor and doesn't seem completely level to me. That is unlike new ones I have seen at dealerships. Their gaps are much tighter and level.

So I'll try the contact cement and let it dry good and see if it tears it up again when I close it.

So if that turns out to be it, is that something you can do yourself or is that a dealer only thing?

Again thanks.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
olfarmer wrote:
I re carpeted a class C including the engine cover and used contact cement. None of it ever came loose. You could try that combined with some carpet tacks or large staples. When using contact cement, keep the interior well ventilated. The other thing is to make sure the slide is not rubbing too hard on the flooring.

There is now some water-based latex contact cement available that doesn't produce anywhere near the fumes that traditional contact cement does. Unfortunately, while it's much nicer in that regard, in my experience it completely fails at actually holding things together. I suggest avoiding it. (Some claim it works better with very warm ambient temperatures.)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Two sided carpet tape.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might try to staple it down when the slide is extended.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
what do you wish to do?
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic