cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cat 275 hp Diesel

RetiredHoser
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at buying a 1996 pusher with 40k on it. It is a Cat 275 hp turbo and I have heard that Cat had some big problems with some of their motors.Would this be OK or would this be a lemon?The unit is an Allegro. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Adapt and Overcome
9 REPLIES 9

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
134K on my 1996 3126 Cat straight six. Runs like a top. 9 MPG coupled to an Allison 6 speed. Mine is 300 hp ( there's a chip for that ). You can get to 330 with a turbo change.

I don't know where you heard bad things about the older CATs but I'll bet it was a Cummins salesman.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to the CAT 275HP engine never having had one. I currently have a CAT 3126E, 330HP, engine in my 36' RV. I pull a 4,000lb toad and the engine has been superb, no issues. I had a commercial fishing boat with two Cummins 903 non-turbo mechanical diesels, V-8's, that ran 24/7 from June to Sept and sold it with 4,500 hours on them. Never had a problem of any kind. Just changed the oil and changed the belts once in 4,500 hours. They too were superb engines! There are lots of diesel manufacturers out there and you can find dissenters for every one of them. But, if you service them as recommended by the manufacturer you will rarely experience serious problems. Unfortunately too many RV owners don't understand diesels and baby them or ignore the required maintenance and service they demand and too often cause the very problems they complain about! Drive the hell out of them like they were designed for and be happy!!
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big fan of oil analysis. Companies like Blackstone will give you a detailed look at what's going on inside the engine. For $25 it's just one more thing you can do to minimize risk.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
That era of CAT engine did have a problem with engine castings and turbo lubrication. There would have been catastrophic engine failure many years ago if those defects were present on that engine. No worries but I would still find a CAT dealer able to load test the engine and spend the money to have them test and inspect before purchase. A major engine problem could meet or exceed the value of the coach to repair.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my first motorhome I had a choice of one with a 5.9 Cummins or a 3126 Cat. Chose a 98 Coach with the 5.9 Cummins. That was a $19000 mistake as I got stuck with one one of those 53 blocks on the 5.9 cummins. Cummins have had their share of problems, the 53 block engines, the exhaust manifold problems, and the exploding wrist pins. In all reality the Cummins and Cats are good engines.:)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Of the options in 1996, the Cat 3126 would be one of the better choices. 275 HP and likely 860 lb-ft of torque at 1,440 RPM.

As with any 20 year old machine, how it was maintained over that 20 year period as well as condition of the coach itself is VERY important.

But the same could be said of a 20 year old Ford, Chevy, etc.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure he's talking about the Heui or cooling fan issue. Those are the two I've seen mentioned most.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
You have heard from who? Saying what about CAT engines? There's only about a few million CAT powered pieces of equipment on the road today. And that not only is motor homes, over the road haulers, delivery trucks, Fire engines, Cement trucks, tow trucks, Industrial fork lifts, and dozens and dozens more.

Motor homes are or were, I should say, a somewhat small market for CAT. Yes, they quit the "over the road" engine production a while back due to not wanting to keep up with the smog requirement systems. But, those that were made prior to that departure, are still running strong. Of course you'll find some that get sick once in a while but, don't think that doesn't happen to Cummins, Detroit and others.

All of them on occasion, have their own set of issues. Those that know Cummins engines real well can speak of some series of those that have a history of "potential" issues. But, all in all, about 98% or more of the CAT powered motorhomes are enthusiastically happy with them.

Not many motor homes were or are powered by the 3116 earlier CATs but, there are quite a few with the later version, the 3126, that are putting thousands and thousands of miles on them as we speak. Then there's the version I have. That's the "C-7" version. It came in three delights. A 300HP, a 330HP and, a 350HP for motor homes. In marine applications, those C-7s were produced with even higher HP.

Our C-7 presently has 63K on the clock. We've been thoroughly happy with it. It's pushing a 27,000 lb. 2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD. And, along with that, it's pulling 6,700 lbs. worth of 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab that's carrying a Rampage lift, holding a 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing.

It hauls that entire load, without very much stain at all. We hover around 6.5 mpg to close to 8.0.

So, not sure who or where you've heard about CATs or, just what kind of issues but, I'm sure there's way more happy CAT owners out there than what you're hearing about.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you heard about the big problems?
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog