Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cat 3126 oil filter change

Jones1
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning
Question/Advice
When you change your oil filter on Cat engine do you put on dry or do you prefill the filter? I have heard both ways. What do you think?
Thanks for any advice.
Roy Jones
14 REPLIES 14

Jones1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.I have allways installed dry but wonder about that each time I service the engine
Thanks Again
Roy

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I always install dry and have had no problems.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, a HEUI engine can NOT inject diesel unless there is oil pressure! No oil pressure, no start.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
I recently changed the oil and filter for the first time on my 2001 vintage cat 3126 which is relatively new to me. I used the Cat 1R-1807 filter and called Cat customer support about the fill or no fill choice for the filter. The customer support person emphatically said "do not pre-fill". He said that the oil pump output is so great it will fill the filter itself so fast that I probably would not notice the delay in firing up when cranking. The engine uses the HEUI injection system and will not produce fuel injection pressure until the engine oil pressure is up and that will not happen until the filter has been filled. He was quite correct, the engine cranked maybe two seconds then fired right up.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can screw a pipe nipple into the hole to prevent oil from going in. Dont tighten it tho, its tapered.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
At one of the tech sessions at a Diesel RV Club Rally, we started a discussion on this. A guy in back stood up and introduced himself-- retired chemical engineer from one of the top 3 petroleum companies in the U.S.

He said, "Do NOT bet your engine's life that there are never any contaminants in new/packaged oil". As long as it goes through the filter medium before going to the engine, you are fine. Fill the outlet to a filter and that is 100% UNFILTERED oil and not recommended."

But, each of us must decide our comfort level with how to do it.
Brett Wolfe

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having changed hundreds of large oil filters I fill them using the large center hole. New oil from a clean container does not need to be filtered. That said I do fill fuel filters using the outside holes as that can be done quickly unlike oil.

I agree they can be put on dry but old habits are hard to break.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never thought of that .. fresh Oil from the container is contaminated ?not filtered good enough? after all we aren't talking fuel filter and fine clearance injectors. Just oil and rings/bearings ... But I learned something I guess.
Bill

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
The filter itself has printed on it to fill the outer holes, provided you bought a Cat filter.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
Brett has the right answer of course. I always do mine dry with no known issues.

X2
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Brett has the right answer of course. I always do mine dry with no known issues.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Caterpillar's recommendation is install dry. Their reasoning is that the oil on the bearings will lube for well more than the few seconds it takes to fill the oil filter. And any oil you pour into the filter will do directly to the bearings without ever being filtered.

Now, if this really goes against your grain, take a few more minutes and fill the small outer holes of the filter (the inlets), not the center large hole (outlet).
Brett Wolfe

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Can't speak for a CAT but any engine I've ever owned that has a near-vertical filter I will pre-fill it.

Yep.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for a CAT but any engine I've ever owned that has a near-vertical filter I will pre-fill it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE