cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caterpiller IAPV Disassembly and Cleaning UPDATE

Ultrasport
Explorer
Explorer
This might belong in Tech but since most of these engines are in motorhomes, I posted it here. If the moderators feel it should be moved, feel free....

I have a Cat 3126B in my '98 Ultrasport. Recently, I had my 4th IAPV failure in 145,000 miles. While one lasted about 80,000, most have failed at around 30,000 miles. I was talking to a gentleman at a diesel facility recently and he said he had disassembled them and cleaned them so I thought I would give it a try. Below is a picture of the disassembled valve. When I pulled it apart, the piston (the part closest to the valve body on the right) was not free in the valve. After cleaning, it is loose and freely slides back and forth.

By the way, I have done two of them now and one had a coil resistance of 12.3 ohms while the other was 10.8. I suspect that may be the tolerance in the coils as both seem to work fine in testing the valves on the bench.

The disassembly was a bit of a challenge as it appears that they used some type of locking compound to hold the parts together. Having nothing to lose, after using a punch to mark the relative position of the parts, I used a pair of vice grips and was able to unscrew the assembly. I carefully counted the number of turns to remove the end. It took just under 9 turns. The vice grips left almost no marks so I don't believe any damage was done.

After carefully cleaning the parts in my parts washer, I followed up with a cleaning of spray carburetor cleaner and then used light oil (3 in 1) to lube everything before reassembly.

Note the TINY valve in the left of the picture. That fits inside the protrusion on the threaded part on the left. Also, the "pin" that is below the part in the center with the threaded end, fits inside that part. It was also "sticky" when I took it apart and after cleaning would literally fall through the threaded part.

I used blue Loctite on reassembly and tested the valves with a power supply. After cleaning, I mounted the valve in a vice with the solenoid below the valve. When applying voltage (I used 6 volts from my bench supply) you could clearly hear the piston click as it moved up in the valve.

I have not put one of my cleaned IAPV's back in the motor yet but plan to do that in the next few days and will report on the results. At almost $200.00 for a new one from Cat or $100.00+ for a Chinese copy (may be better than the cat valve!), I hope the cleaning works. If it does, I think I will just pull and clean every 25,000 miles or so.

Hope this helps someone else.

Steve

Some have asked where the IAPV is located. Here's a picture of what it looks like. The part on the left is what screws into the HUEI pump so what you see when it is installed is from the large hex to the right. The solenoid is removed by removing the small nut on the right. When that's removed, a spacer and the solenoid coil slide right off the valve. The two wire connector is on top of the coil.

In the case of my engine, the coil will not come off the valve when it's installed (hits a nut for an oil line) but I can remove the nut and spacer from valve and then remove the valve from the pump and then slide the whole assembly out.

Steve D
1998 Ultrasport
2010 Wrangler Toad
www.dasplace.net
12 REPLIES 12

Ultrasport
Explorer
Explorer
I change my oil every 6000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. I have had one valve that lasted about 80,000 miles. If I had to guess, I would guess the one that lasted longer had a LITTLE more clearance on the piston and/or the transfer rod. The slight increase in clearance would allow a little more "contamination" before sticking. Cat did change the part number on the oil filter some years ago and I was told (by Cat engineers) that it was to address the IAPV failure issue. Supposedly the new filter has a smaller micron rating.

As I mentioned, when I disassembled the valves, both of them had sticking pistons. I could not SEE any contamination but after cleaning them, the pistons would literally fall out of the valve if held upside down.

Whatever the reason, the valve that did fail, now works fine after being cleaned. We'll see how long it works.

Steve
Steve D
1998 Ultrasport
2010 Wrangler Toad
www.dasplace.net

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I do think it is caused by dirty oil. Remember it is the oil that controls the fuel injectors. I try to change my oil about 6K miles. As I believe the cleaner the oil the better it is.

Last year, I worked with a fellow 3126E owner, finally he located a very smart Cat computer tech (young). They tried to isolate the issue, finally he ask, what he did within the last month before the problem. His reply was I changed the oil. As he had nothing to loose, he did it again. I have not heard of him having this problem since then.

I would rather change my oil twice a year, instead of having a HEUI failure.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, and thanks for the update.

For what it's worth, my valve has 104,000 on it and still going. I wonder what is the difference? Of course we'll never know but I've saved your cleaning instructions for possible future use.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Ultrasport
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an UPDATE:

I was in Tucson (MAN is it HOT there!!) and while there, I replaced the new IAPV I had installed earlier with one of the valves I disassembled and cleaned. The engine ran perfectly all the way home which was a little over 1000 miles. Looks like cleaning the valves is very successful. I plan to run this valve for a while and then I'm thinking of pulling it off and opening the clearances on the piston and the transfer pin a little. I'm betting that will significantly increase the useful life of the valve.

As to what oil I'm using, per CAT's suggestion, I am using either CAT 15W-40 or DelVac 1300 which the CAT dealer tells me is the same as CAT oil.

As for where the contamination comes from, the oil that gets into the valve has no way out so ANY contamination that gets into the valve has no way out. It might be from particles in the oil itself or perhaps, it's wear particles from the valve itself. In any event, the cleaned valve seems to be working perfectly.

Steve
Steve D
1998 Ultrasport
2010 Wrangler Toad
www.dasplace.net

dennyR
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea on the cause of the residual causing the sticking? What type of oil are you using?
2000 Newmar Dutchstar DP
2004 Road King
1994 Jeep Wrangler

Gary_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Steve. I appreciate it.

Ultrasport
Explorer
Explorer
The valve is located on the rear of the HEUI pump which is mounted about mid height of the block, on the side opposite the intake/exhaust manifolds. The pump is toward the front of the engine which is toward the back of the coach in a pusher. It will have a connector with two wires connected to it.

Steve
Steve D
1998 Ultrasport
2010 Wrangler Toad
www.dasplace.net

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! Thks

Gary_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 3126B with 44K and so far no problems. Where would I look to find this valve if I had to change it? I think if I had a problem I could change it instead of having a shop do it and still save a few bucks. Who knows, I may even be able to clean it! Thanks for any information. Gary

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and please do report your results.

I hate to buy new parts when an existing one just needs cleaning.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Ultrasport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Fred. The IAPV is the Injection Actuation Pressure Valve and you have the operation correct. It has been a bit of a problem for many 3126B engine owners. I have replaced 4 on my unit in ~145,000 miles. When it fails, either the engine will be very hard to start or won't start at all or if the engine is running, it will go into engine protection mode and limit the speed to ~45 MPH. When this happens, it will typically set codes 15 and 39. Replacing the valve requires a 1 1/8 wrench and about 15 minutes of your time... and about $200 of your dollars if you use a CAT valve.

I will be testing my cleaned valve in a few days as I need to make a quick trip to Tucson but will have a bit of time to get back so I intend to install one of my cleaned valves while there and see how it performs on the way back. I'll report when I get bacx.

Steve
Steve D
1998 Ultrasport
2010 Wrangler Toad
www.dasplace.net

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Ultrasport

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Since I have the same engine, I was interested, but was not sure what the IAPV was.

After a little research, I think you're talking about an Injector Actuation Pressure Control Valve which controls high pressure oil pump output pressure by dumping excess flow back to the oil sump. Is this correct?

I'll be saving your instructions for future.

Thanks again

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida