cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cb and antennas

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
what radio and antenna combos do folks use if any? Have a class B+ winnebago so need to get a recommendation for an antenna for it. Radio will be a no brainer cobra or something from the local truck cb shop. Just like to know what others are using. No cell phones wont work for us would like to monitor the roadways for 1, easier to just pick up mic and talk for 2.

Thanks Hank
17 REPLIES 17

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I did to mount an antenna bracket on the outside of my trailers... This was for Ham Radio/Scanner antenna but should work just fine for a CB mount.

I am not much of fan to drill thru the roof so I went for the side of the roof and found a spot where i could come into the back of inside cabinet to hide all of the cabling.

This is a mirror mount found at Radio Shack...

These two photos pretty much identify the game plan...

The flat piece was used to cover the RG cable going thru the side wall in the one photo. Then I filled both open ends with RTV to keep moisture out...

Once inside the trailer you can route the RG cable behind things to get to where your radio is installed. I don't have any RG cables visible with my install.

The antennas just clear the roof and have been in service here for more than five years now and work out just great. I actually mounted an identical install on the rear of the trailer roof on both sides...

You can just see the two side mounted antennas in this photo of my off-road POPUP trailer.

You didnt say what your RV was but if it is a CLASS C MH then the MIRROR MOUNT probably is the best solution for you. Then you can run RG cables thru the door weather seal to your CB radio mounted in the truck console area somewhere.

Good luck with your CB setup... In all my years of RV'ing I can say I have heard much CB operations among the RV'ers. I use mine in my truck console to monitor the truckers when on the Interstate. They all seem to know where all the hazards are located. I listen 99.9% of the time. Very seldom yak on it...

Cell phones is best for us to keep tabs on each other.. Also use the FRS family radio channels some around the camp sites.

Food for thought
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
You want an antenna that does not need a ground plane for RV use. A Firestik NGP antenna will do that. They are easily tunable to set your SWR. As to radios, see what features you want and go for it.

Remember to set your SWR. This is the single most overlooked thing on CB radio installations.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
CB is something from the past. Not used very much because of cell phones.