cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phones

cruzkid
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to head out on the road in April and need to know about cell phone service. What is the best phone to buy and what service works good while traveling?
44 REPLIES 44

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The 'best' phone is the one that works for you.

Not if you are someone who is about to full time and travel the entire country. In that case, whatever phone currently works for you may not work so great anymore and you seek the advice of others that are doing what you will be doing.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We have all of the coverage advantages of Verizon's network, but none of the hassles of dealing with Verizon. Our cell phones are Android smartphones from Tracfone, and our Internet data service is from Millenicom. Our phone service averages $16/mo. per phone, and our data service is $70/mo. for 20GB of 4G LTE with 3G fallback.

Verizon is the WORST cell company I have ever dealt with and I about cried when they bought out ALLTEL, making me their customer. Even though I was told my current ALLTEL plan would be 100% honored, I had mystery charges every month and then was told that my plan never existed.

Unfortunately, they have the best overall national coverage. I never had a complaint on signal. So... I would also suggest one of the other companies that uses their network. On one hand, I don't think any of the prepaid companies on Verizon allow tethering but on the other hand, tethering with Verizon itself is scary from a monetary standpoint.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I have Verizon, unlimited data plan, and my wife has AT&T, unlimited data plan. By far, Verizon outpaces AT&T in coverage, both in voice and data...we are entering our 5th year of fulltiming.....Dennis

I was glad to see your post because I always wondered if someone had both AT&T and Verizon in the same locations to compare coverage.

So you answered my question and I know you two get around the country...you must have Gypsy blood in your veins.

We've been happy with Verizon all over the country....for sure some dead spots in W. Texas and a couple other obscure places but all in all it's pretty reliable.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The 'best' phone is the one that works for you.

X2, I live next to one of the largest incorporated cities in LA County, Verizon and AT&T are both paperweights and pretty much useless.
The problem with providers are their maps are not accurate, and if you travel I doubt you will find one that works everywhere you go.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Verizon, unlimited data plan, and my wife has AT&T, unlimited data plan. By far, Verizon outpaces AT&T in coverage, both in voice and data...we are entering our 5th year of fulltiming.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon service with Wilson Electronics cell phone booster has very few dead spots.

I have this new Apple Iphone and Verizon. So far the only place it don't work is here at home in central NC-----they offered to let us out of our contract but there is nothing else here. But the phone does everything I ask it to. "find 125 Joe St Greensboro, NC" OK found it "now take me there" and away we go......

mdprince
Explorer
Explorer
BobandShaz wrote:
HHfundays wrote:
Verizon has been best for us. I love having a smart phone to look things up while on the road.

I must agree

Same here ! We travel with both AT&T and Verizon, AT&T has got a lot better in the last few years, and there are places where they have coverage and V does not, BUT the more outta the way you want to go (boon docking) the better Verizon gets !! imho
2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
HHfundays wrote:
Verizon has been best for us. I love having a smart phone to look things up while on the road.

I must agree
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have all of the coverage advantages of Verizon's network, but none of the hassles of dealing with Verizon. Our cell phones are Android smartphones from Tracfone, and our Internet data service is from Millenicom. Our phone service averages $16/mo. per phone, and our data service is $70/mo. for 20GB of 4G LTE with 3G fallback.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Trails...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wingsfan20 wrote:
if you get speeds resembling dial-up like I was getting, unlimited data does not really matter.
If you have unlimited time, it's probably ok. ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
Recently switched over from Sprint to Verizon. Wow!! 4Glte coverage, fast internet, great coverage, and Lower price. Originally picked Sprint because of unlimited data. But if you get speeds resembling dial-up like I was getting, unlimited data does not really matter. We have the 8GB Verizon plan and it suits our usage. (NO movies or high level streaming) and we saver $50 bucks a month.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a ATT iphone and a Verizon enabled Ipad that I use to tether to my laptop if I need the laptop.which I dont because the iPad works fine for what I do. If my att phone wont work and I can get Verizon internet I use skype to make calls on my iPad. so for me, the best of both worlds.
Bill

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
For fringe reception areas, I don't think you can beat a Motorola VA76r Tundra unless you want to lug along a bag phone.

Here in WV, AT&T has far more coverage area than any other company. Other areas no doubt get better coverage from other companies.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540