cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy 6.0 Motorhead question

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I have some ASE training, lots of GMs- all of them older.
Chassis is a 2005 Chev w/ 6.0 and 3 sp w/ OD.

Thing runs great, bought it at 80K miles.

Previous owner relied on dealer for all services ( have all records...basic oil and filters and grease chassis zerks every 5K)

all of my stuff uses K&N's so it looks that the K&N E-1008 cannister type is what I want- $66 amazon.
( oiled type filters are really worthwhile in the desert)

Is there a cold air intake available- and if so any clear advantage- the snorkel is right at the hood/grill

any added capacity oil filters?

any suggestions?

my other vortec is a 4.8 on my truck...at 160,000 flawless.

mike
8 REPLIES 8

booster
Explorer
Explorer
For the oil filters.

As Peteco said, Wix lists the 51042 for the 2006 and older.

51042 filter specs

You might want to consider using a 51522 which is about an inch longer with the same specs listed.

51522 filter specs

Click on the blue filter number to get a popup of the specs.

Of interest to me was that neither of the filters has a bypass in it, where the 2007 up filters do. The main other differences in the model years is the mounting thread, so probably a different mounting block, which may contain a bypass.

I listed Wix because they have good specs listings (I do use them, also), but any good brand crossreference should also be the same.

I got the larger filter part number off the pickup truck boards to start with.

All of this comes with the standard disclaimer of use at your own risk.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Wix air filter, and Purolator cabin filters in the Pathfinder, and a Rugged Ridge air filter in the Wrangler.
"Unlike other reusable air filters, our dry panel design never needs oiling, which keeps your mass airflow sensor from being damaged by excess oil! Rugged Ridge performance high flow filters are made from a synthetic fabric and not cotton. Cotton filters are made porous and must be oiled to trap dirt and debris. But that oil reduces air flow through the filter and it can become easily clogged. Our filters are woven from synthetic fabric to allow maximum air flow and particulate filtration. Because our filters never need oiling, they can be cleaned easily with water instead of degreaser, reducing the cost of maintaining the filter over the lifetime of your vehicle. No oil = No fuss, no mess and improved performance!"

booster
Explorer
Explorer
Re the Scangauge.

Biggest benefit is transmission temp. Chevies are known to overheat the transmission in the mountains and hills quite quickly. You get enough warning to slow down, stop, turn on auxiliary fans if you have them.

Accurate engine water temperature. Coupled with the transmission temperature gives you even more warning of heat issues. Once the water temp gets higher than the transmission temp, both are going to climb very quickly into the bad range.

Trip computer. Wonderful if you don't have a factory one. Very good for learning what works for improving mileage under various conditions.

Tachometer. It is actually useful for more than amusement sometimes. You can tell when the torque converter is locked, for instance, which is good for determining gear, improving mileage, and reducing heat. You don't want the converter locked when decelerating if you can help it. Also good for chosing gear as the 6.0 sound can be deceptive when trying to determine how hard it is working.

Code reader. Self explanatory.

Sensor readouts for lots of the functions. Help identify a sensor that is failing or erratic. For instance, if you see the idle speed trying to be corrected by the idle air motor instead of the timing, something is not working correctly.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

I am convinced K&N's are superior esp in the desert.

for example the Mass air flow sensors on my K&N equipped cars and trucks are very, very clean at well over 100k.

when the filter is washed the amount of light brown dust coming off is impressive- and I am glad that none of that is in my intake.

I also have some performance stuff which does well with the K&N oiled filters.

I also have some classics with oiled foam over paper.

I'll look into the wix number you gave. I have long used a Delco #35 ext filter on my old Cadillacs and Chevs
I have not used wix products up to now.

New Question: Scan Gauge or no- I am not really worried about a tach and I do use 2nd and 3rd when needed.
any other functions useful?
I don't really spend much time staring at instruments while driving

any of you Guys see a benefit?

mike

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about the K&N air filter. Allows too much dirt to pass, not worth the minimal trade offs. jmo, I know others will vary.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
PeteCo wrote:
booster wrote:
We use an oversized filter on our 07 6.0 in the Roadtrek. Wix number is 57045, but that might not be the right on for yours.

On the Wix site it shows 57060 for your 07 6.0.

It shows 51042 for my 06 6.0.

How did you figure out the 57045 works? Obviously it does since you are using it, but one would not know that from the Wix site. I like that it is bigger than the others and may give it a try myself.

Pete
2006 RT 210P

I scoured the pickup truck and Bob is the Oil Guy sites searching for the oversize information, as it seemed obvious that someone in the truck world would have had to been worried about the very small filter, and they were. I then crossreferenced all the suggestions on the Wix site and found the 57045 to be far and away the best choice for ours, by looking at the detailed specs for the filters.

I did go back to the Wix site to see when GM changed the thread on the oil filter for the 6.0, and it appears to have happened in 2007. Your 2006 probably has the English thread, so the filter would have to be different. If you Google the GM part number for your filter with "oversize" or "bigger", you should be able to find one with the English thead somewhere, and then you can check the specs on the Wix site.

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
booster wrote:
We use an oversized filter on our 07 6.0 in the Roadtrek. Wix number is 57045, but that might not be the right on for yours.

On the Wix site it shows 57060 for your 07 6.0.

It shows 51042 for my 06 6.0.

How did you figure out the 57045 works? Obviously it does since you are using it, but one would not know that from the Wix site. I like that it is bigger than the others and may give it a try myself.

Pete
2006 RT 210P
Gspeed

booster
Explorer
Explorer
We use an oversized filter on our 07 6.0 in the Roadtrek. Wix number is 57045, but that might not be the right on for yours. I think GM did a thread change sometime it the mid 2000s from English to metric, ours is metric. They do make the same filter in the English thread, I am almost certain. I am sure Wix would be able to tell you what the number would be.

GM used the smaller filter on one of the other engines, either a 4 or six, don't recall, but they had trouble with very cold weather and were damaging them before they got oil pressure. That is when they went to the bigger one. All the specs are the same for the 57045 compared to the original filter, but it is much longer.

I have looked for a cold air intake for the Express and have not found any, anywhere. For use it would have been really nice because I have just closed up the radiator area air bypasses, and that is where some of the air for the intake comes from.

The Chevy air filter is really large, so my guess is you won't see a bunch of increase in power with the K&N and mileage won't change because of the computer control. I have used a lot of K&N in hotrods and never liked the fact that they let more dirt through. You could see it in the aircleaners after the filters a lot more than with good paper filters. The K&N do considerably better after they get fairly dirty, and most folks clean them too often.

I like a setup like they use on our John Deere lawn tractor which is made to be in a very dirty atmosphere all the time. It has a normal, high quality paper filter, but then it has a thin foam one that goes over it and is very lightly oiled. There used to be automotive ones like this, but they weren't usually oiled. The foam one catches 95%+ of the dirt, and the paper one gets the rest without getting plugged. With the tractor, we just keep a half dozen of the cheap foam filters clean and ready to go, and change them when they get plugged with the big stuff. The paper element stays very clean and there is no dirt found getting past it. I think if I were doing the dirty desert, offroad, type driving I would do similar setup for the Chevy. It would be very easy to do. We are almost always on cleaner areas, so our normal filter lasts for 30K+.