cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy P-30 w/454 owners?

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious to know from other (P-30 454 owners) of common issues that the Chevy 454 would have during a trip? I'm planning on driving from Seattle - Orlando, Fl (poss. Keys) and then back the southern route to southern Ca. then north to Seattle next year and am getting the RV ready ahead of time.

I purchased the RV in Sept. 2014 and it had 46,XXX (US) miles on it. It also had the roof completely redone. RV now has just over 51,XXX (US)miles. It runs great and will average 9-10 mpg (US).

1995 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P-30 chassis
Chevy 454 w/ 4L80E Trans
OD reading - 50,XXX currently

What I've done thus far:

Full tune up (Sept 2014) - Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter (also purchased some Hi-temp heat shield sleeves (2000F) for plugs)

Full trans service (Sept 2014)

Rear differential serviced (Sept 2014)

Cleaned throttle body & replaced fuel filter on chassis (Sept 2014).

Serviced radiator (Sept 2014)

Replaced all (3) belts and rebuilt drive axle (Jan 2016)

New Michelin tires (6) (Sept 2014)

Serviced Onan generator (oil filter, Synthetic oil, serviced spark arrestor (359hrs total) (Jan 2016_

Chassis lubed (Sept 2014)

Much appreciated
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
24 REPLIES 24

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
Sound like you have just about everything covered. The only other thing I would recommend is replacing the plug wires with good high-temp wires available from NAPA. The wires on the 454 run close to the manifolds and can become very hot.

Good luck, and happy travels!

AMEN Brother
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a cooling fan clutch, get one from GM - not an aftermarket - and store it in the as-installed orientation. If you start using oil (happens early on the 454) it's most likely valve guides. If you don't have an auxiliary trans cooler, get one - the largest plate-style cooler you can find.
Currently Between RVs

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Get a brake fluid flush.

That's the one I was thinking about, but forgot to list. :S

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Get a brake fluid flush.
Check front air bags. (Inside coil springs) I used to keep 70 psi in mine.
What year Chevy chassis ?
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like you have just about everything covered. The only other thing I would recommend is replacing the plug wires with good high-temp wires available from NAPA. The wires on the 454 run close to the manifolds and can become very hot.

Good luck, and happy travels!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Change the engine oil before the trip.

You said serviced radiator, did you flush the cooling system and replace the coolant?

New tires in 2014. Did you check the age of the tires when you put them on?
RV tires usually age out before they wear out. Make sure they were not a couple years old when you installed them in 2014.
Check the condition/age of your spare.

Change the FUEL filter on your generator or carry a spare if it was changed recently.

New windshield wipers and fill the washer tank.

Clean and lube the joints on your entry steps. Don't use WD-40 as a lube.

Inspect, or have it inspected, the roof. Make sure there are no potential problems. Your roof should be checked at least annually.
Carry a tube of Dicor, just in case.
Consider covering your roof seams with Eternabond. It's a great product.

Are you pulling a toad?
Consider installing a transmission temperature gauge. It's NOT necessary but, it is nice to know the temps, especially in the mountains.

Check all your batteries before the trip. make sure they are taking and holding a charge properly. Make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

The 12 Volt Side of Life will help you understand if you're not familiar with the system.

Get a roadside assistance policy. Good Sam and Coach-Net are the most popular.

Check your propane system for leaks, spray soapy water on the joints and look for bubbles.

Lube all your door locks and hinges.

Carry basic tools. Get a voltmeter and learn to use it if you don't know how.

Don't forget the duct tape, spare bulbs and fuses.

If I think of something else, I'll let you know. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy your trip, you're ready.

1996 Southwind, 37', Tag Axle, 454.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
booty51 wrote:
Hey sounds like you have been through it, go for it.I would suggest you get some spare switches for the auto park . Also Look at the relays on top of the steering column and get a spare. A good road service policy.Have you looked at the brake? Maybe change the fluid. Don't drive the ol gal like you stole it.Sounds like a great trip.I have a 96 P 32 .

No autopark brake on my setup.

Relays on top of column? In the cab or underneath? If related to autopark then disregard as I don't have he autopark.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if yours is fuel-injected or carbureted. Certainly a carburetor adds some issues. Insufficient heat shielding around the starter resulted in a failure that I had on a trip. The brakes should be carefully gone over. You might want to replace the brake fluid. X2 on the fan clutch. Does yours have the aux. electric fans? Make sure the ground is good. I am a strong advocate of carrying a spare tire. Have you replaced the hoses? God luck with your trip.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Hey sounds like you have been through it, go for it.I would suggest you get some spare switches for the auto park . Also Look at the relays on top of the steering column and get a spare. A good road service policy.Have you looked at the brake? Maybe change the fluid. Don't drive the ol gal like you stole it.Sounds like a great trip.I have a 96 P 32 .

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
What many refer to as "doughnuts" the gaskets where the down pipes join the muffler pipes. Climbing the Rockies, these get very hot to glowing. A ticking sound will be heard as exhaust gas escapes. And of course on the down hill they cool very quickly; the result is worn gaskets. Carry a spare for your convenience.

Make sure the fan clutch works on the engine fan. Know where to get one or carry a spare. The springs may be cleaned as dirt will accumulate between the metal and prevent the clutch from working.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210