cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A DP Fumes in Coach While Driving

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
All, In 5K miles of operation this year, our DP has a strange issue that has only occurred three times in 10 months. We will get a strong diesel exhaust smell in our 2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E. It will last about 15mins then go away. I also find a small amount of black soot on one small portion of the rear engine hatch. I have read there is a DEF regen cycle on this ISL9 Diesel engine, so I am guessing that is the source of the fumes. All windows/vents are shut tight, and our front air was set for recirculate. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve. I read many people just put up with this? Thx!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad
21 REPLIES 21

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's the beauty of the DEF. Instead of polluting the OUTSIDE air, it pollutes INSIDE the vehicle. See how well our G'ment "saves" the environment!....Dennis

P.S. Instead of asking "WHY", check for a leaky exhaust system.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
You're most likely getting it when the engine goes into re-gen mode. Interesting that you're getting diesel fumes in the coach, when the engine is in the very back of the vehicle. Are you getting these fumes when you're stopped/idling or do you get it when you're driving down the road.

When my truck goes into re-gen, I switch the air from fresh to recirculate and that helps greatly.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
If it were an exhaust leak, I just don't understand why we would only have the issue for 15mins during a 3 hour trip?
Jeff and Kim

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
If it were an exaust header crack it would get worse at higher exhaust gas .temps not trying to be a mechanic here just helping point you to places to look.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I will look, but why wouldn't I have more fumes over 5K miles? Instead it has happened twice, 15mins each, then fine the other hundreds of travel miles?
Jeff and Kim

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
If it were mine, I would have it checked for leaks in the exhaust system.

Good Luck & Safe Travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone look and see if you have a cracked exhaust header. Also check the connections to the turbo. Do you notice any power loss. I had a cracked header on our previous DP and it created the soot and cab exhaust smell.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)