cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A or Class C?

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
I posted in Class C section already. We're thinking about a motorhome, either Class A or Class C. Not sure which one is the best? We want something used around $25-$30K. Any recommendations or buying advice? We've had a 23ft TT for the last 3 years(and prior to that a pop-up for 11 years). Thank you. Any advice, info, is appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
We looked exhaustively at RVs in general...from pull-behind travel trailers to toy haulers to 5th wheels to A and C class motorhomes. We had settled on a Class A for many of the reasons stated above. Honestly, many of the Class A units are designed for only 2 people even though they have additional sleeping capacity. After deciding on a Class A, we had a used one in great shape basically fall into our laps. We love it and I doubt very seriously that we will ever look back.

Ultimately, it's what you want to do with it. As suggested, go to shows and to RV sales lots and just look around. Take both for a test drive and see for yourself. I actually think the Class C drives better (more like a bigger pickup truck or van than a bus) than the A, but you may well think the opposite. It took me no time to get used to driving our Class A. Get comfortable with the floor plan and interior amenities on whatever you choose because you're going to spend more time enjoying that, than you will driving it. And, as also pointed out, you can rent first to try it on for size.....but that's not cheap either.

Good luck with your search!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful info, thanks Rick!
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Billinwoodland,

While I'm hesitant to say "all", I will say most 30'-ish E-450 C's with a slide or two will be pushing the weight limits. As you mentioned, it's usually the rear axle weight rating that is nearest it's limit. There should be a sticker somewhere in the rig which states all of the weight ratings and an unloaded weight as well. But it's still tricky. If you really need the space of a 31' foot rig, I'd look at the super-C's, or a class A on a 22,000 lb. GVWR chassis.

If manufacturer's give you an unloaded weight, it's usually for the entire vehicle, NOT the individual axle weights. On the long E-450 rigs, it's common for the front axle to be 700+ lbs. under it's limit. However, since you are really limited on loading the front axle, it's unusable capacity. Yet, the manufacturer will include that 700 lbs. as cargo carrying capacity. Buyer beware.

When I was doing our research, I estimated we'd need between 2,000-3,000 pounds of capacity for water, food, fuel, clothing, people, dogs, tools, supplies, etc. The only way I could get that and stay within the weight limits was with a 22,000 lbs. chassis. Our rig weighs about 18,800 lbs. unloaded, so it does work for us.

Granted, this increased the price of the rigs we were looking at, but in retrospect, it was well worth it. We bought a rig which was always operating within it's design limits and was large enough to accommodate our growing family. Ten years later, we're still very happy with the overall floorplan and amenities. Most folks keep trading up, losing money on each trade due to depreciation. We bought right the first time and have no regrets.

The majority of RV'ers don't even concern themselves with weight issues. They just figure if the manufacturer built those large storage bins in the back, it must be OK to load them up. As you said, the back end of these is usually heavy to begin with, yet that's where all of the storage is, so loading up those bins really stresses the rear suspension, rear axle and rear tires. Then you read all sorts of stories on here about poor handling, blowouts, etc. and they wonder why. I'm too analytical to accept that and I knew operating above the design parameters would both me.

My best advice to anyone looking at these rigs is to take your time, do your homework and make sure that you can find a floorplan that works for you and your family on a chassis that can safely carry the weight.

Oh, and if you'll be carrying passengers, make sure there are sufficient seatbelts installed. Ours had an almost unheard of 12 belts (3 on each couch, 4 at the dinette, driver & passenger) installed by the manufacturer. Not that we use them all, but it gives the kids options as to where they can sit on a long trip. You can always add additional belts yourself, if you want. Most dealers WON'T add them due to liability concerns.

This forum was a HUGE help for us 10+ years ago when we were doing our research. It really helped us zero in on the rig that was perfect for us. There is experience on these forums unlike any other. Yes, you sometimes have to put up with some strong opinions, but that's the internet for you. 🙂

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
surgtech56,

With 2 to 4 people, most Class A's would work for you, especially if it'll only be 2 of you most of the time. There are numerous floorplans that work for couples, just figure out what you want.

If you're camping at state parks which don't have freshwater or sewer connections at the sites, then class A's generally have larger fresh & waste-water storage tanks, which can be a bit more convenient. As you travel further, you will probably appreciate the added storage tank capacity.

Most E-450 based class C's are just as wide as most class A's. In my opinion, the A is easier to drive because it has a better view of the road. It is a bit more intimidating at first, but you generally adapt to it pretty quickly. The view while driving is much better in the class A as well.

There are bunk model class A's if that is something which might appeal to you. We don't have bunks, and wouldn't want them. We put the kids on the sofas & table up front and wifey and I get the back bedroom for a bit of privacy. Most of the bunk model A's have the bunks just a paper thin wall away from the bedroom. We kick the AC's or fans on and we can have our privacy in the back of the rig while they have the front of the rig. It works well for us.

For any motorhome you look at, be very cautious of weight ratings and actual weights of the rigs. Most 31' Class C's on an E-450 with a slide or two are going to be really pushing the manufacturer's weight limits, especially if you tend to pack "heavy". Know these numbers before you buy.

Feel free to ask additional questions.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick

My wife and I have the same dilemma, A or C. I have been to a ton of RV shows and we have narrowed down our floor plans and options we can live with in north models. Rick, you're comment regarding weight limits caught my eye. When looking at RVs, I don't see this information. Is it found in the owners manual? If we went C, it would have to be 31' which is the C limit before you get into super C. In these rigs (31), they look very tail heavy to me. I have not driven one yet, but need to. Is there an issue with these rigs fish tailing, especially with a toad?
Thanks
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
surgtech56,

With 2 to 4 people, most Class A's would work for you, especially if it'll only be 2 of you most of the time. There are numerous floorplans that work for couples, just figure out what you want.

If you're camping at state parks which don't have freshwater or sewer connections at the sites, then class A's generally have larger fresh & waste-water storage tanks, which can be a bit more convenient. As you travel further, you will probably appreciate the added storage tank capacity.

Most E-450 based class C's are just as wide as most class A's. In my opinion, the A is easier to drive because it has a better view of the road. It is a bit more intimidating at first, but you generally adapt to it pretty quickly. The view while driving is much better in the class A as well.

There are bunk model class A's if that is something which might appeal to you. We don't have bunks, and wouldn't want them. We put the kids on the sofas & table up front and wifey and I get the back bedroom for a bit of privacy. Most of the bunk model A's have the bunks just a paper thin wall away from the bedroom. We kick the AC's or fans on and we can have our privacy in the back of the rig while they have the front of the rig. It works well for us.

For any motorhome you look at, be very cautious of weight ratings and actual weights of the rigs. Most 31' Class C's on an E-450 with a slide or two are going to be really pushing the manufacturer's weight limits, especially if you tend to pack "heavy". Know these numbers before you buy.

Feel free to ask additional questions.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
surgtech56 wrote:
I posted in Class C section already. We're thinking about a motorhome, either Class A or Class C. Not sure which one is the best? We want something used around $25-$30K. Any recommendations or buying advice? We've had a 23ft TT for the last 3 years(and prior to that a pop-up for 11 years). Thank you. Any advice, info, is appreciated.

The class A is usually the winner, but some with small children, might like the convenience of putting them to bed in the overhead rack, leaving the rest of the coach intact. There are bunk models available with an A as well, that might suit some even better.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
It will probably just 2 of us traveling or no more than 4. We have not camped out of our state and camp at state parks. We would like to venture out more especially when we retire in about 4 years. My SO likes the Class C, thinks the A's are too big and to hard to drive, and thinks the C with slide outs is the way to go.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both and because of the height of my DH, we needed a residential sized queen bed (80 inches long). We had a trailer with a short queen and even though I am not tall, I did not like the short mattress. Many of the Class C motorhomes have a short queen.

We also decided we wanted a diesel engine and they are easier to find in a Class A.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
From our POV, it's no contest. Class A gives you a cab area that can be included in the house by turning the seats around. It has a much more expansive view from the front seats and there isn't that useless aluminum box obscuring your upward view through the windshield.

We started out with a 26' C and gave up after 1.5 seasons. Three years later we bought out present rig, which gets better mileage than the 460 with a carb, has a lot more room and is easier to drive.

Unfortunately, since we had the "C", gas has gone from $1.75 to near $4.00 and CG fees from $15 a night to over $30. A 10-day, 1200 mile trip now costs near $1000. Can't do that on a limited retiree budget, so the rig will be up for sale next month.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
We might be able to offer more assistance if you could tell us a little about your planned usage. For example, how many people will be travelling (adults/children), do you plan to do a lot of dry camping or mostly with hook-ups, long extended trips or short trips. Stuff like that.

I can tell you that for our family of 6, the dual sofa, dual slide Class A motorhome we purchased 10 years ago is a near-perfect match for the way we use it. Of course, it took us about 2 years of research to find the perfect floorplan for us, but we ultimately did. (This is our first RV of any type.) We went from looking at small pop-ups to tow behind our minivan, to travel trailers being towed by a full-size van, to class C's and ultimately Class A's.

Take your time and know what you want and need.

Good Luck,

~Rick

6845ct
Explorer
Explorer
we have rented a class C with our children. When we finally decided to buy we got a Class A more comfortable. Try renting each one with the floor plan you feel you are comfortable with then decide.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Go look at and drive several different makes and types. You will have to make the decision which is best for your situation.
Personally, I think the Class A is the best choice.
But, when I get a newer unit, I'll look at Class C also.
The floor plan is important, just like in a TT or other RV.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a bazillion Class A vs. Class C threads. Most recent one was started last week I believe.

This is in the Class A section, so you're going to get people that like Class As. You also posted in the Class C section. You're going to get people that like Class Cs.

"What's best" is up to you. Get out there and check out floor plans, driving position, handling etc. Let us know what you decide.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)