cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A roofs

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I currently have a TT with a rubber roof. Do Class A motor homes also use rubber roofs?
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
7 REPLIES 7

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both rubber on a gasoline coach and fiberglass on the diesel pusher. I prefer the fiberglass. When you walk on the roof, it is solid. But like anything it does require maintenance. You have to wax it to prevent UV rays from eating it up. Just like a paint job on a car. If you wax it with a good UV protection type wax, it will last you a long time.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1993 HR Navigator with a rubber roof, and it has never leaked or had a problem. The Navigator is the top of the line coach from a very large RV manufacturer who also uses aluminum on some of its products. Our 1989 HR Imperial had an aluminum roof that also never leaked or had a problem.

So, having a rubber roof doesn't mean the rig is cheap or the roof will leak. Having said that, I did have it coated with a non-petroleum based paint in 2003 to help preserve the roof. RV manufacturers do not recommend coating the roof with anything but just keeping it clean using a soft brush and mild soap.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Just like everything man made there is cheap fiberglass and good. That applies to rubber roofs as well. Some maker using fiberglass had a problem with them lifting at the edges a couple years ago.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some do, Some don't You can get Rubber (Several types) Fiberglass and aluminum depending on the make and model. Mine is Bright Tec, One of the Rubber roofs. I like it. I can walk on it, I'm 300 pounds shower weight.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
And some use molded fiberglass and aluminum. All are different depending on the manufacturer.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the coach. Some have TPO, some have fiberglass, some aluminum. I think you'll find most of your entry level coaches have TPO, spend more money and get fiberglass. There are a few exceptions, I think Winnie and Tiffin spec fiberglass even on entry level units. That said TPO is a good material and with the right care will last a LONG time. TPO is the cheapest to repair but also the easiest to damage. Fiberglass obviously lasts much longer with less care as well as aluminum.
2013 ACE 29.2

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. Some use EPDM rubber,some TPO thermoplastic material, and some use fiber glass cloth impregnated with polyester resin.