cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C Diesel MPG Question

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
What would an approximate MPG be on a 27ft Class C with a Ford 450 diesel? I realize there are many variables. Thanks in advance.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
14 REPLIES 14

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
hsteveberry wrote:
We have a 2015 Jayco Seneca 37HJ and our milage so far is:

Flatlands of FL, LA, AND TX = 9.5 to 10.5
Hill country of AL, GA and MS = 8.5 to 9.5

The unit is still fairly new so the milage might change with more miles.
*How fast do you run?
*Fuel economy doesn't improve with age or miles.
*Is this a diesel?

hsteveberry
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Jayco Seneca 37HJ and our milage so far is:

Flatlands of FL, LA, AND TX = 9.5 to 10.5
Hill country of AL, GA and MS = 8.5 to 9.5

The unit is still fairly new so the milage might change with more miles.
Henry Berry
2015 Seneca 37HJ
2005 Jeep Towed

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
You ask for diesel mileage numbers, try 8.5mpg. On an โ€™06 Seneca 34SS DMax Super C towing at 62/65 in CA and faster in the rest of the west, uphill and down the numbers all average 8.5 at 23,900lbs including the car on a dolly. The low was 6.8 over 500 miles west across Kansas into a wind and 10.4 for 600 miles east on I-40 with the wind. Your mileage may differ at lower speeds but the tank holds 80 gal. and I spend them frivolously.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Explorer1016 wrote:
The major problems with the 6.0 were from head bolts and those caused head gasket issues and that caused coolant issues and EGR cooler leaks and so on.
The 6.7 is still not a match for the DuraMax. GM has bought out Isuzu's stake in the Dmax and it has been the same engine since 2000 with the Allison 1000 trany. Ford has gone through 4 diesels to try to match the DMax and the Cummins. I only have a Ford because of the type of RV'ing we do and needed 4x4, otherwise I would have stayed with a GM product.

I owned 3 DMax pickups (2000, 2006, 2011) I drove a cumulative mileage of almost 400,000 miles towing and working those trucks. The biggest problem I had was with the 2006. Had to replace injectors but it was a warranty issue. Really didn't have to spend money for any other repair issues.

If Ford can keep the 6.7 on the road for 15 years without any issues then it can be said it is a great engine. Right now GM and Cummins are way ahead of Ford in the reliability department.

Also, the 6.7L PSD is rumored to be the most expensive engine build in the market trying to meet emmisions.

x 2 The basic design flaw/limiting factor of the 6.0 and 6.4 Navistar sourced engines is that they are built with only 4 head bolts around each hole as opposed to the 6 bolts found in most medium duty diesels such as the B Series Cummins or the Duramax.

The aftermarket has come out with stud kits and improved head gaskets which will allow the 6.0 and 6.4L Navistars to live much longer, and EGR delete kits (which may adversly affect vehicle emissions) to improve reliability.

There are several Fords around here which have had a B Series Cummins transplanted, in fact the aftermarket is selling kits to simplify the install and interface.

A King Ranch with Cummins power driving the reliable Ford 5 speed Torqshift would be a sweet machine.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I agree with all of the above about "Ford" diesel engines. IIRC, if you check specs, you'll find he Van/Class C iteration of the Diesel does NOT produce the HP and Torque everybody brags about in pickups. There are space and cooling issues in the E-Series so the diesel is de-tuned. The V10 performs about like the PSD in a pickup. The V10 will outperform the PSD in a Class C.

I want a Ford Chassis, Cummins Engine, Allison Transmission...

The Ford 7.3 PSD outperforms the Ford gasser V10 in every category that I can think of - IN a Class C.

Which ones are you thinking it performs better in?

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
J-D good point! I forgot about the detuned PSD engine in the E series vans.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with all of the above about "Ford" diesel engines. IIRC, if you check specs, you'll find he Van/Class C iteration of the Diesel does NOT produce the HP and Torque everybody brags about in pickups. There are space and cooling issues in the E-Series so the diesel is de-tuned. The V10 performs about like the PSD in a pickup. The V10 will outperform the PSD in a Class C.

I want a Ford Chassis, Cummins Engine, Allison Transmission...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
The major problems with the 6.0 were from head bolts and those caused head gasket issues and that caused coolant issues and EGR cooler leaks and so on.
The 6.7 is still not a match for the DuraMax. GM has bought out Isuzu's stake in the Dmax and it has been the same engine since 2000 with the Allison 1000 trany. Ford has gone through 4 diesels to try to match the DMax and the Cummins. I only have a Ford because of the type of RV'ing we do and needed 4x4, otherwise I would have stayed with a GM product.

I owned 3 DMax pickups (2000, 2006, 2011) I drove a cumulative mileage of almost 400,000 miles towing and working those trucks. The biggest problem I had was with the 2006. Had to replace injectors but it was a warranty issue. Really didn't have to spend money for any other repair issues.

If Ford can keep the 6.7 on the road for 15 years without any issues then it can be said it is a great engine. Right now GM and Cummins are way ahead of Ford in the reliability department.

Also, the 6.7L PSD is rumored to be the most expensive engine build in the market trying to meet emmisions.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
The 2004 Ford had a 6.0 engine that was not a very good engine. The engine is made by Navistar and causes a lot of trouble. When the EPA made Ford and other manufactures down size the cubic inches of the engines Ford worked with Navistar and came up with the 6.0. Needles to say it did not turn out very well. Ford only keep the 6.0 for 4 years while Navistar worked on a new engine, the 6.4. This engine has worked very well but again ford was looking for a new engine for their F-250 and up trucks, which has developed into the 6.7 which is a Ford built engine that they have had for several years in Europe. This is the new engine that Ford is putting in all their new trucks. This is a GREAT engine and will end up being the best on the market.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like pretty good results. Yes, I need to investigate the details on the engine year and size. It is a 2004 Class C.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Coachmen Concord 27.5 ft on the E-450 with the 6.4 and we get around 11.5 to 12 at 55 to 65 MPH pulling a HHR. Our unit has also got the propane system but we have never used it. Have owned this unit for over 3 years now with O problems and lot of fun. Leaving in 2 weeks for our second around the USA in 2 years. Love my class c diesel.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 F 550 with the 6.4 PSD comes in at 8.0 to 8.5 without towing. My situation may be different than yours though. I have the 4x4 version, 4:88 gear ratio and the 19,500 GVWR.

The lighter E series van chassis without 4 wheel drive and the higher axle ratio should come in about 10 mpg
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
What would an approximate MPG be on a 27ft Class C with a Ford 450 diesel? I realize there are many variables. Thanks in advance.
Depends on what year E450 Ford diesel engine. From all the reading and reports from those particular Ford diesel owners - the consensus is as follows: The 7.3 PSD yields a solid 10 to 10.5 mpg, and the 6.0 PSD yields a solid 11 to 12 mpg on the highway mostly driving of them. I'm not up on the 6.4 PSD or even if the 6.7 PSD is even installed in the E450s nowadays.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My old 1987 6.9 liter Ford did about 12 mpg driving at 55 mph. It was 27 feet and an E-350 chassis.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.