cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

class c repair

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had good luck repairing the area over the cab. We were considering a 2007 Fourwinds 31 ft...but we've found moisture under mattress in the over hang...
43 REPLIES 43

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
10Grands wrote:
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Hope and pray that the dealer will help you out.:E
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
I found this:
Ohio used car lemon laws.

This applies to cars and trucks but since a class C RV is sort of a truck then it might apply as well.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
10grands, I took the time to Google your predicament. Ohio's buyers remorse laws cover almost every thing except automotive but a lot of dealers do have a grace period and are required by law to post them on the window sticker. Also mentions (as-is) purchases and short term warranty's. Here is one of the sites I visited http://www.ehow.com/info_8722793_ohio-car-buying-remorse-law.html hope this is of some use to you. There's always the off chance the dealer never knew the problem was there and may be willing to repair or at least help repair it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Return it if you can.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
I think there's a three day period in Ohio but not 100% sure about that.Try a Google search on grace period after the sale.

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to admit it..but yes it was the trip home(2hours) and we of course were excited and I got up in the capover to adjust blinds. When we were looking at it, I had asked for a ladder and was told a ladder was not necessary in this model ๐Ÿ˜ž Hubby had leaned up and pushed on the walls...but what we found was under the mattress. I called immediately to both dealer and salesman..they had closed...texted salesman, he was polite and said for us to follow up on Monday am. I have no idea what to expect on Monday. We have had TT but not class c before. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that if you do buy that rig and there is no delamination and you found moisture you really need to do some work to the seams. I suggest you spend the time and take off all the trim, remove all the butyl tape seals and replace them either with new tape or with a better option such as a good quality caulk.

I had to make extensive repairs to the siding on my rig because those seam seals under the trim failed. When I pulled off the trim I found out how utterly inadequate they were. I even pulled the compartment doors and found the tape on those had also failed.

In many places the butyl tape had been stretched so thin it likely NEVER created an effective seal.

I ended up sealing everything back up (after I made extensive repairs to the fiberglass siding) with lap sealant in generous quantity. I ended up using about six tubes of the stuff including resealing the top of the front cap over the cab. I pulled the trim off the entire rig including areas that were not damaged and removed all the compartment doors and laid a bed of sealant on it ALL! I used the lap sealant because it never fully hardens and flexes with movement. I also used new screws.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you already purchased it? Have you taken delivery? If not just say goodbye to that dealer. Dick

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure now that we've found the moisture that its not just from condensation. I thank you all for responding...I just hope the dealer...will work with us...how long after you've dealt can you say i don't want it ๐Ÿ˜ž

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure now that we've found the moisture that its not just from condensation. I thank you all for responding...I just hope the dealer...will work with us...how long after you've dealt can you say i don't want it ๐Ÿ˜ž

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Water leaks are a deal killer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Are you certain there is a leak or could it be that it is just condensation from lack of air flow under that mattress? The bottom of my bunk mattress is vinyl and if I let it sit directly on the overhead platform, it will sweat.
I installed a mesh material used for underlayment under metal roofs that allows air to circulate under the mattress and now all is well.

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ed6713; if you have basic carpentry skills patients and some desire you can repair it. If not walk away from it. There is a lot of folks on here and other sites such as goodoldrvs that have info on this subject and offer advice and encouragement. If you don't go walking go surfing and good luck on what ever you decide.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have the necessary skills, equipment, money, time and facility, finding then repairing an unknown amount of water damage, possible delamination, etc. is doable.

Otherwise, I would keep searching rather than buying someone's problems.
๐Ÿ™‚