cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

class c repair

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had good luck repairing the area over the cab. We were considering a 2007 Fourwinds 31 ft...but we've found moisture under mattress in the over hang...
43 REPLIES 43

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I had a similar problem with my Coachmen C. When it was all completed, the front roof had to be removed as well as some of the roof over the front above the dinette. Total cost - $10,000. Not worth it.

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Deltamaster, if they had been up front, wouldn't that mean they had done a full inspection and repaired the thing before they sold it! I'm glad they are doing the right thing now and fixing the problem but for me at least that doesn't negate the lack of a full inspection prior to the sale. That's my opinion, you are entitled to yours and I won't berate you for it.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to hear the dealer stepped up for you . That says a lot for the dealer. I think it would be a good idea to post the dealer's name. They deserve the recognition for the way they handled your situation. :C
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear it is looking good for you 10Grands.

Jose

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Travelcrafter wrote:
I wish dealers had the same attitude because now you have doubt about the camper you fell in love with and if it's fixed, is it right or can I trust it now.

Given the currently reported attitude of the dealer it seems they are being upfront and reasonable about the situation. I would say that since they are willing to make things right and do the inspections and fix or refund or find another unit to make the customer happy I would find them to be trustworthy and would be quite pleased with the results, whatever they may be.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
That's really good news 10grand when I picked up my old Travelcraft the people I bought it from set down and told me every little thing that they knew about the camper, the furnace didn't work how the dent in the finder got there how the uncle got to where he couldn't get on the roof the last few years so I might want to reseal it any thing they thought would be of interest to me we discussed. I was happy and giddy as all get out to drive that thing home. the one thing they thought that wouldn't cause me trouble was the tires and I blew out the drivers side inner tire 20 miles from there house. I never got the first bit upset about it because they had been up front about every thing else. I wish dealers had the same attitude because now you have doubt about the camper you fell in love with and if it's fixed, is it right or can I trust it now. I wish you good luck in the choice you make and be diligent in the inspections because water intrusion in the cab-over area is fairly common in class C M.H. especially ones with clearance lights and windows

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 10Grands,

The dealership is doing right by you.

Do not take back ownership of this unit. Find one that has NOT leaked.

10Grands wrote:
Well we left it at dealer...they suggested they take apart and see what damage is involved(on their dime)..after they've looked into it and fixed...we can continue ownership, say deal is off or they will help us find another one...I'm going to nap on that ...so we'll wait and see...keep you all posted..thanks again..
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
jmagic wrote:
We just had the same experience with the under side of the matress being wet. There was also
lots of moisture at the side windows and corners of the overhang. Turns out we had not been cracking the vents open at night when the furnace is on. We even had those vent pillows stuffed in there just to make sure the heat stayed in. Condensation was the gremlin. A friend of ours, who is a full timer, pointed this out to us. We removed those pillows, opened the the overhead vents a little, problem gone. Our Class C is 25 ft long and I was told thet even two people breathing can cause some condensation at night.

Believe it or not, in a small rig, just two people breathing produces a CONSIDERABLE amount of moisture which will condensate on the windows when it is cold outside.

We had a similar problem when we hosted in Morro Bay in the winter. It got down to the high 30's and occasionally below freezing at night and we would have to towel off the front overcab bunk window every morning to keep up with the condensation. It would pool in the window frame channel and even overflow on to the mattress. We even had to place towels under the window to catch the moisture overnight.

If the front window were insulated thermopanel it would likely not do this as the inner pane would not be cold and create condensation.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Well we left it at dealer...they suggested they take apart and see what damage is involved(on their dime)..after they've looked into it and fixed...we can continue ownership, say deal is off or they will help us find another one...I'm going to nap on that ...so we'll wait and see...keep you all posted..thanks again..

jmagic
Explorer
Explorer
We just had the same experience with the under side of the matress being wet. There was also
lots of moisture at the side windows and corners of the overhang. Turns out we had not been cracking the vents open at night when the furnace is on. We even had those vent pillows stuffed in there just to make sure the heat stayed in. Condensation was the gremlin. A friend of ours, who is a full timer, pointed this out to us. We removed those pillows, opened the the overhead vents a little, problem gone. Our Class C is 25 ft long and I was told thet even two people breathing can cause some condensation at night.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
10Grands - There have been cases where the clearance lights above where a window would be in the cab-over area are the source of water leaks. Often times removing the lights and sealing the round hole where the wire exits the coach will solve the problem.

I just did that two weeks ago. I put expanding caulk in the holes and then ran a bead of caulk around the light housing where it meets the cap. I also caked caulk over the screws inside the housings as well.

Yes, water had gotten in there as well and there was some damage but not bad enough to rip off the front cap

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
10Grands - There have been cases where the clearance lights above where a window would be in the cab-over area are the source of water leaks. Often times removing the lights and sealing the round hole where the wire exits the coach will solve the problem.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

10Grands
Explorer
Explorer
Well we thank everyone for the good advice. It seems we've learned not to trust anyone...it's advertised as excellent condition inside and outside. ..and not being a spring chicken I didn't completely climb up there and try to move the mattress while laying on it..I like to think positive about folks. Trusting has proven to be very costly this time. We are headed back to dealer and be there in the AM when they open. I'll post our results good or bad.

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your cabover has a front window, it may be the place where it is leaking in.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thread talking about my cab over rebuild.

Cabover rebuild thread

As you can see, severity of the damage determines course of action. A complete rebuild like mine could run you $8k or more to have a shop do it.

Jose