cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C to tow 7000 lbs.

mountainsurf
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy my first motorhome. I need to be able to tow a 7000 lb. boat/trailer. I've read a lot about towing with a MH but I'm still somewhat confused; is it the hitch and frame that are the main limitations and can that be upgraded?

I hear of lots of people towing similar loads with class c's but from what I've read you need to step up to a Super C. We don't need anything large or luxurious, just something that will tow the boat and give us a place to sleep.

Great forum. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsurf wrote:
Thanks! It's good to know it can be done. I started looking at specs and I have a headache, already. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm usually a Chevy guy but it looks like Ford has the advantage at 22,000 vs Chevy's 20,000 GCWR.

Not only that, but the same powertrain in every other Chevy is only rated for 16,000 pounds, so something to think about. I know I wouldn't be happy with performance at heavier weights with the 6.0. Also Ford allows wheelbases up to 223" and Chevys top out at 209".

Most of the Forest River Class Cs have an excellent length-to-wheelbase ratio. Watch out for shorter rigs with fore-aft rear beds. That requires a short wheelbase to keep the wheel-wells out of the bedroom. The longer rigs seem to have better CCC than they used to (more aluminum use) and they longer wheelbases keeps the weight spread better.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a good shop that installs hitches,tell them what you want to do and then go from there With the right hitch you should be fine

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you go a diesel with a class c I don't think you will find any C that can tow 7500#. Most have a limit at 5000#. You may find some A's that are gas that may tow that but I'm not sure.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

mountainsurf
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! It's good to know it can be done. I started looking at specs and I have a headache, already. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm usually a Chevy guy but it looks like Ford has the advantage at 22,000 vs Chevy's 20,000 GCWR.

Does anyone make a short Class C with a long wheelbase? It would sure help those of us looking to tow heavier loads; maybe a "Towing Special" model.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
An equalizing hitch with built in anti-sway will be a great help.

Dusty

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Check the GCWR. Most of the RV makers anymore do NOT downrate the factory GCWR of 22,000 pounds (Ford chassis). This means you can pull 7500 pounds even with a loaded RV. Winebago has a tongue weight limit, but others don't.

But.... you will need to replace the hitch receiver. E350 van receiver will fit, but an extra set of holes will be needed, and the shim-order will be different than on the vans (the shims accommodate the bumper brackets).

Also, double check the frame extensions were done to Ford spec. Ford says all ratings remain intact if the specs are followed:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q18.pdf

Finally, you will need to make sure the trailer's tongue weight does not overload the rear axle. With most RV wheelbases, the tongue weight on the ball will result in 2x that weight being added to the rear axle. Look for the longest wheelbase possible for a given length coach. This may be affected by floorplan. Some 31' Cs have a 223" wheelbase but some only have a 208" wheelbase.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST