cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A roof

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a 40 foot class A diesel pusher. I have read that taking care of the roof is something you have to do every other year or so. Winnebago has the fiberglass roof material, so does that mean it takes no maintenance? Also, are there any other manufacturers that have the one piece fiberglass roof?
10 REPLIES 10

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably more caulking maintenance on a Winnie fiberglass roof than other fiberglass roofs because of how the edges attach. I love our fiberglass and would never go back to a rubber roof type.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a very old MH who knows if they maintained it
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Winnabago roofs held togeather with caulk

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Also check the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum not many roof problems there
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bruce_Brown
All roofs need some.kind of maintenance. On the fiberglass issue, don't get too caught up in "it has to be fiberglass". Do a search, there are many posts with issues with a fiberglass roof, Winnies in particular.

Our roof is BriteTek. This is our 3rd one with a BriteTek roof, I'd buy another in a second. In the 10 years we've owned ours I've done probably 10 minutes of maintenance and it still looks new.

One of my other hobbies is older tractors. Just last week I shipped a metal cab roof to a guy in Louisiana. The sun had gotten to his fiberglass roof and it had deteriorated to the point of being unusable. "Fiberglass" doesn't always mean quality.

Bottom line, a quality unit will normally have a quality roof, regardless of the material.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Wash and wax once per year, like another portion of your coach.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
At the very least, the seams between the end caps and roof need to be maintained. Any roof penetration will have degraded caulk over time. An indication of proper maintenance is fresh looking sealant around the openings.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago recommends you check the caulking once a year - had ours 6 years now and they have never had to do any actual caulking
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wash my one piece fiberglass roof with soap and water about once a year and have never had to reseal it in 14 years. OK, I did overlay the calking around one roof vent.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Any roof needs to be cared for, including those on the Winnebago. There are tons of posts on WBGO roof Care and periodic roof caulking/resealing.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS