cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C wall bowed out repair

Norskluvr
Explorer
Explorer
The kitchen sink/stove wall of my C is bowed out. I can slip a finger between the wall and the joist. The gap is about 1 inch at the bottom/floor level and tapers to about 1/2 inch at the sink/backsplash level. It's been this way for a while, not sure how long, but was wondering if anyone knows of a cure that doesn't require removing all the siding. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, if this belongs somewhere else, please feel free to move it.
4 REPLIES 4

Norskluvr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks JRandall. I was thinking along those lines. The MH is a 75 Diamond on a Ford chassis. The wall in question is flimsy wall paneling on the inside; I assume there's some type of insulation between the paneling and the siding. The sink/countertop butts up against a wall that has the bathroom on the other side. The bath has a complete fiberglass/plastic surround and the tub/shower is on the other side of the sink/counter in the kitchen. I was thinking of maybe taking that wall's paneling off and then using JRandall's 2.4 trick, maybe driving 2-3 inch decking screws in from the outside and then covering the holes with Bondo and paint. Again, thanks for any additional help.

JRandall
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I had the same circumstance. I was able to straighten the wall by using a 2x4 to bring the wall back to its original shape. I located the curved stud in the motorhome wall and placed the straight 2x4 along the wall inside and perfectly in line horizontally with the curved stud. From the outside I then drilled through all three at the top, middle and bottom. It is important to span from top to bottom in order to be true to your wall. Using non-rusting bolts I sandwiched the siding, curved stud and the new straight 2x4 together. The top and bottom of the new stud touched, but the middle was about an inch and a half or so separated. Over the next few days I tightened the middle screw a turn or two at a time so as to not break the curved stud. The wall eventually became straight again. You can then hide the new 2x4 in a number of ways to suit your interior. You could use angle iron in the same way and not have it intrude as much into your space. The curved stud in your wall is probably a 2x2 and will straighten easily with this kind of "fix". There is probably a better way that someone will describe to you, but this one worked very cheaply and easily and left little evidence.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd let us know the make and model of the C, maybe we could guess what's it's made out of. Without that info, it's a stab in the dark!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
What's the wall made of?
๐Ÿ™‚