cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Classic RV cover

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a cover for our RV. CW has one on sale with a 2yr warranty for same price as one from Carcover universe called Platinum Gurard cover with a 6 yr warranty. Seems like a no brainer but has any one used the Carcover universe cover?
13 REPLIES 13

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
The poles give me an idea. Maybe a pair of poles and I could pull a cover from one side over the top.

No blue tarps though. Someone somewhere said Tyvek makes a good cheap breathable cover, although I couldn't find anything less than 9x100 at the home stores (at $100+) so if anyone knows of a common (everywhere-available) source for smaller pieces please let me know. I just need about 30 feet x 9.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

Raymond1943
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Have you used a cover before? They are very difficult to get off and on. I tried one once, and found I wouldn't use my motorhome because it would be too hard to get the cover off and then back on just for a weekend trip. That and the cover made rub marks on the siding. Just wasn't worth it.

I agree fully.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
And if somebody wants to steal my idea and make a three piece cover, feel free to and I'll buy one from you!

Gave me an idea.....based on a pool cover roller. Thanks
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if somebody wants to steal my idea and make a three piece cover, feel free to and I'll buy one from you!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually thought about inventing a three piece cover. Basically the center would just be a flat tarp with straps attached so you could use the straps to roll it up or roll it down while standing on the roof. Then the end pieces would be shaped like the end of the motorhome and would cover no more than about 10' of the end of the motorhome. They would come with long poles so two people could lift the end of the cover from the ground and use the poles to slide the covers over the front and rear. Then there would have to be some type of straps or a zipper to attach the end pieces to the center tarp. It probably would be hard to make it water tight, but it would keep the sun off and that's what does the most damage anyway.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yah in Florida we'd use ours often even/especially in winter. I saw a good deal on a gently-used cover which is why I searched out this forum post. Decided to pass on it.
God bless!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
SlowBro wrote:
I just had knee surgery, do not like heights, and our RV does not have a ladder. (Hybrid. Nowhere to put one.)

Do you agree that a cover is not for us, or is there a way to put it on without climbing up?

I thought about maybe 6' scaffolding but if I won't be able to reach where it needs to go nevermind.

It's not just the height. They are also very heavy and very awkward. I know some people get them for winter storage and put them on at the start of winter and take them off at the end so it's only a twice a year thing. That wouldn't be so bad, but here in California we use our RV all winter. So if you're going to cover it it's off and on every time. After about three offs and ons I gave up and put the cover in the shed and never used it again.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
Considering a cover for our RV. CW has one on sale with a 2yr warranty for same price as one from Carcover universe called Platinum Gurard cover with a 6 yr warranty. Seems like a no brainer but has any one used the Carcover universe cover?

two travelers,
The use of a car-type-cover is admirable thought. It has at least two benefits. First, it keeps the sun and all the elements off. Second, it keeps most of the dirt/debris off.

But, the pitfalls of those type covers in most opinions, waaaaaay out weighs the bennies. First, it's one serious pain in the arce to install, based the immense size of it and the logistics of what kind of action is needed to apply it.
Second, while it does keep the dirt/debris off, where do you think that dirt/debris is now settling? It's now residing ON that cover.

And when that happens, about 99% of those who use those covers,( the very few that do) will ROLL and fold that cover up, when removing it, encapsulating all that dirt/debris.

But, when it comes time to re-apply it, guess what you're doing with all that couped up dirt/debris? Yep, you're un-folding/rolling it right onto the surface of your possibly just cleaned RV. So, now you've trapped dirt/dust/debris in between the cover and the RV.

So, not only is it a serious pain to install those, unless some pain in the a$$ procedures are used when removing it, you'll quite possibly be doing more damage to your RVs surface when re-installing it. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just had knee surgery, do not like heights, and our RV does not have a ladder. (Hybrid. Nowhere to put one.)

Do you agree that a cover is not for us, or is there a way to put it on without climbing up?

I thought about maybe 6' scaffolding but if I won't be able to reach where it needs to go nevermind.
God bless!

fenwickfam
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on using tarps for covering just the top rather than a cover that goes over the whole thing?
The Fenwick Family
4 Children, 5 Grandchildren
Our 3 Bears (Captain Little Bear, Lady Little Bear and Yogi Bear) and 2 very spoiled kitties

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you used a cover before? They are very difficult to get off and on. I tried one once, and found I wouldn't use my motorhome because it would be too hard to get the cover off and then back on just for a weekend trip. That and the cover made rub marks on the siding. Just wasn't worth it.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a Carcover brand but I did have a Classic cover, it was OK but I like my ACDO cover better.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a Carcover brand but I did have a Classic cover, it was OK but I like my ACDO cover better.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee