cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up our old RV

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been working on the old RV the last several days. I knew I wanted to replace some eternabond on the rear corners and across the back trim. I replaced some missing vinyl trim on the front seams and re-caulked. I’m terrible with caulk. Messy and uneven but better to have new caulk than not. Also caulked between the old and new vinyl trim.

Underneath is especially hard to caulk. I did a little better above.

I have a day night shade to restring and I have general clean up to do. I de-winterized it and I stain treated the carpet and I’m going to shampoo it. I’m debating whether to wax it. The decals are in bad shape and it’s clean. Seems like wax would be putting lipstick on a pig.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
15 REPLIES 15

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
Oh sorry about the aside. Camping spots are very difficult to get in Colorado. Yes I used a cheap caulk gun that we have had forever. I have not heard of Big Stretch but I like soap and water cleanup. Dicor is over $12 a tube. I actually bought a battery powered caulk gun a few years ago. It seems to have stopped working but it was for caulking vinyl to our crawlspace walls a pretty big job I did not think my hand was strong enough. It was hard to control but the call did not have to be neat!

Dicor, ProFlexrv are expensive but they are excellent long lasting products. Well worth the money. ProFlexrv comes in litre cans and can be applied with a small paint brush on flat areas.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I also read a recommendation for Eterna caulk from the folks who make eternabond. I like eternabond it lasts a long time and does not have to be reapplied. My roof pieces are 10 years old. Still look good. The caulk is a thermoplastic elastomer and required solvent cleanup.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Also I got the propane tank filled and it is definitely leaking. That was enough bad news for one day. Tomorrow I’ll try to find the leak. Darn.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Bad day for my poor old RV. I had the steps out for a few weeks while working inside and when I left to fill up the steps did not pull in with ignition as they were supposed to. So I got a warning from a fellow driver on the road but there was no room to pull over so I just stopped and restarted the ignition. Should have worked right? No it didn’t. I waited to stop again at the destination but of course finally hit the drive pulling in. That bent the side arm. When I got out to investigate the step motor was working. But then the steps could not retract all the way due to the bent arm. Looks like it could be bent back. But still disappointing.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Oh sorry about the aside. Camping spots are very difficult to get in Colorado. Yes I used a cheap caulk gun that we have had forever. I have not heard of Big Stretch but I like soap and water cleanup. Dicor is over $12 a tube. I actually bought a battery powered caulk gun a few years ago. It seems to have stopped working but it was for caulking vinyl to our crawlspace walls a pretty big job I did not think my hand was strong enough. It was hard to control but the call did not have to be neat!

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
If you use caulking, use a product called Big Stretch. It stays flexible and won't crack. It is pricey at 8-9 bucks a tube but well worth it. It is water based so it is easy to work with and with the above mentioned painters tape does a nice, clean job. Comes in white, almond, grey, and brown.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
A decent caulk gun makes a big difference. Most go to Home Depot or such and spend $4 on a ratcheting caulk gun. Unless you are incredibly gifted it is **** near impossible to do a decent job as they cannot provide a steady flow. A $20 smooth rod caulk gun makes a BIG difference. Google caulking tips before you try again.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Looks as though we have two topics going on?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
We tried to get Grand Lake for July 4th weekend and struck out just 12 hours into the reservation slot, so we're boon-docking at a friend's cabin near Leadville.

We normally camp every other weekend all summer from May through October but this year we definitely missed the boat for reservations.

We did get Sylvan Lake for end of September.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy fellow RV’er! Any luck getting camping sites? Ha ha. Do it early. Just got one for a weekend in late Sept. Moraine and Aspen Glen are full!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, neighbor! Good work! 🙂
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the kitchen sink sprayer was cracked for the third time when dewinterizibg. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I run the fluid through it. I have to pick up a new one. At least it appears to only be the spray part and not the hose. Although I’m confused that when I took off the sprayer the entire faucet stopped working. I don’t see it leaking anywhere. Another quirky problem.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I’m using non-sag dicor. That is what I usually use. I tried Sikaflex but found it even harder to work with. I should use painters tape since I’m such a slob. Good idea.
It is not soap and water cleanup which is the easiest caulk but I’ve not seen one recommended for RV’s.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The secret to a good caulk job is blue painter's tape on both sides of what you are caulking.

Run a bead, smooth with your finger or tool. Immediately pull tape and again smooth.

Some caulk products are much easier to work with than others. Though silicone products are not my favorite, the smooth very well with a wet finger.

Practice on a piece of scrap or even cardboard.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/