cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confusion on weigth

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Winnebago Vista. The sticker on the wall near the driver shows a GVW of 16,000#. The GAWR shows 6,500# for front and 11,000# for the rear. These add up to more than 16,000#. Had the coach weighed and we have room to spare. Do I go by the GAWR in figuring my spare capacity??

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
My axle limits add up to the gross, but with the rear at max, I can't add any weight, unless it's totally on the front, where I'm still a ton to the good.
I'm guessing with the OP's question, they're just saying that you can't put the total GVWR on one axle....:S:h
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Suspension is also a factor

Just because one coach has gvw that matches the gaw does not mean the op Winnie is built the same way
Max gvw is figured is based on all factors involved
Braking ability suspension weight capacity etc..

Very true! It's not just about weight. It's about weight and balance. The front wheels do all the steering and most of the braking. In most RV's, the rear wheels carry most of the load and apply all the power. It's important to make sure the loads are balanced between front and rear and side to side. Myopia, although convenient, gets people killed all the time.

Chum lee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the actual weight of the fully loaded vehicle or trailer, including all cargo, fluids, passengers, and optional equipment, as measured by a scale. If you are in a motor home and not towing anything, the GVW is the total weight of the RV and everything in it.

GAWR: Gross Axle Weight Rating

Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum number that the GAW of a single axle should never exceed. You may see the more specific RGAWR, when referring to the rear axle, or FGAWR, when referring to the front axle

GCWR: Gross Combination Weight Rating

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the maximum number that the tow vehicle GVW plus towed vehicle GVW (or GTW) should never exceed.

GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum number that the GVW or GTW should never exceed. GVWR is applied to trailers as well as vehicles, but you may see this rating referred to as the Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again, "least strong" component dictates GAWR and GVWR.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
Suspension is also a factor

Just because one coach has gvw that matches the gaw does not mean the op Winnie is built the same way
Max gvw is figured is based on all factors involved
Braking ability suspension weight capacity etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:

The axles have their limits but, shouldn't the GAWR of the rear and GAWR of the front add up to the GVWR? If I'm not mistaken, they do on our coach. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. The rear axle is rated at 17,500 lbs. and the front is rated at 10,410 lbs. The GVWR on my coach is, 27,910 lbs. and says so on the drivers tag on the wall.
Scott

Not necessarily. The GVWR of a truck or motorhome should not be greater than the sum of the GAWR's, of course (otherwise there would be no way to reach it), but it may be less. If it's less, you have some flexibility in positioning a maximum load fore and aft without exceeding either of the axle weight limits.

(A trailer will sometimes have a GVWR that is greater than the sum of the axle weight ratings since a portion of the load is carried by the tow vehicle.)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A grossly simplified example, but consider that if a chassis manufacturer stuck a 10,000 lb rated axle under a 5,000 lb rated spring set, the maximum vehicle weight would still only be 5,000 lbs. Obviously manufacturers try to match everything up closer than that, but it doesn't always work out perfectly given the limited axle, suspension, and drive line choices available. As said, the GVWR is the governing total weight, with the GAWR determining the distribution of that weight.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
They are 2 different ratings reflecting 2 different parameters.
One does not supercede the other. You need to adhere to both.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The chassis builder will determine the GVWR and will be based on the whole coach and everything it brings. This will include brakes, differential gearing, transmission torque limits, engine cooling, wheels, tires, suspension and axle limits. There are multiple factors that determine the end rating.

What Ford used to determine the GVWR of 16K lbs I'm not sure. If you go thru the specs the 16K lbs chassis looks like a shorter version of the 18K lbs chassis.

2016 F53 Specifications
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Correct.

Axles have their weight limits.

But, the GVWR may be based on other factors such as brakes, transmission, etc.

Both numbers are important.

Yes,
The axles have their limits but, shouldn't the GAWR of the rear and GAWR of the front add up to the GVWR? If I'm not mistaken, they do on our coach. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. The rear axle is rated at 17,500 lbs. and the front is rated at 10,410 lbs. The GVWR on my coach is, 27,910 lbs. and says so on the drivers tag on the wall.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Correct.

Axles have their weight limits.

But, the GVWR may be based on other factors such as brakes, transmission, etc.

Both numbers are important.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One is the maximum you can put on that axle. If you reach maximum on one axle, you should cut the weight on the the axle so you do not go over your gross vehicle weight.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sum of the parts is always larger than the overall max.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad