cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering purchase of high mileage x-rental Class A

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. As some of you have seen from my recent posts we are looking at switching from a big fifth wheel toy hauler to a Class A. One option that we are considering is purchasing a high mileage (100k+) class A gas rental unit that is about five years old.

I've read through some other posts from folks who have done this and it seems that most have had a favorable experience given the cost savings.

What do you think?
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
10 REPLIES 10

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what year is it? 09? a lot of miles piled on, longer than most rental companies keep them. it would have to be awfully cheap for me to think of buying it.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen some rental RV's being driven off-road in places that are hardly fit for an automobile, like the Moki Dugway and The Valley of the Gods unpaved road.
Not saying that all rental units are driven where they should not be but it might be a good idea to closely examine the undercarriage just to see if any damage was done. The rental unit I saw getting drug out of the dirt in Utah might not be a good deal.
As with any RV, an inspection by a qualified mechanic is always a good idea since you have no idea exactly how the coach was used.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
A motorhome that I had previously bought, a Class C, had few miles on it and not used much. It ended up needing all sorts fixes related to the coach not being used, drivetrain, tires, etc. So my thinking is that maybe a well used coach might have most of the bugs worked out of it.

My current trailer was also little used and resulted in me having to perform all sorts of maintenance.

The last pickup (dually in my sig) was bought with >200k miles. I got it really cheap and its a great truck.

So, I guess my question reworded a bit is what are the things that I should really be aware of? I am not so worried about cabinets that are wiggly, I can glue them back together. I am not so worried about the paint not being shiny, I can buff and wax it.
Wife, kids, dog and cat

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
MustangGT wrote:
Hi Redjeep. sorry, but I can't help you on your question. lol You've made me wonder though:
I have a '97 class-A gasser and I've never heard of rental "A's" being sold. Where did you find such a place? Online or local to you? THX

El Monte RV Sales
clicky

But, through Google I did find other Class A rental outfits across the US. I'm up in Portland so (if I decide to buy one of these) I would have to figure out how to get it back to Portland. Most likely I just fly there, pick it up and drive it home.
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I used to own an RV rental business. Units typically reach the 50k mile mark and then are liquidated. We used Class A's - Aces actually. Good rental units and meticulously cared for. What you want to find is a rental place that actually cared and maintained their units. Documentation would be key. Look at models in their current rental fleet and see how they look. You can find a gem but I have to echo some of the sentiments here, a rental with 100k miles on it driven by a lot of folks that frankly don't treat their own stuff well let alone rentals, is looking at a seriously worn out RV. We screened our clients and still ended up with the periodic clan who could care less about other people's stuff. Our units showed a good bit of wear at 50k I cannot imagine the shape it would be in at 100k. Mind you it has been 100% depreciated at that point too. (business' exercise a 5 year depreciation table). It would have to be well documented, well maintained, and almost free. With all the used units out there you might do better to look at something more personally owned and lower miles. There is a reason most rental companies liquidate at 50k miles. They are about used up. A rental with 100k would scare me unless you are handy, don't mind other's messes (a lot of other people) and they were giving it away.
2013 ACE 29.2

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck wrote:
100,000 isn't really that much for modern drivetrains. If you take care of todays motors and transmissions. 300,000 on a gas motor is no problem.

Amen. Use full synthetic oil. Costs twice as much but can stay slippy for more than twice as many miles with no build-up and superior protection when hot-New Mexico in August for instance :).
Per my research Mobil 1 and a few others can go 18k without a serious loss of viscosity, but you should change the filter at ~12k to get the dirt out. I change oil and filter at 10k in the cars. about 3k in RV since it sits and sits :(. JMHO
didn't mean to hijack the thread
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you found one as yet? The rental rigs are usually pretty basic, Might not have an awning, generator, jacks and such. Personally I might be a bit apprehensive but I've also come to find you need to look at used rigs individually.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
100,000 isn't really that much for modern drivetrains. If you take care of todays motors and transmissions. 300,000 on a gas motor is no problem. We get that much from our abused 3/4 ton work trucks all the time.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never bought or considered an ex-rental RV, but judging how people use/mistreat rental anything, I'd have some serious reservations. The price would have to be very, very competitive.

A gas rig with over 100K, would be well used. At one time, gas engines wouldn't last more than about 100K, but they are better built now. (The same is not true for diesels as they can go 300K plus before needing an overhaul.) The same holds true for transmissions. On the other hand, if the price is right, the cost of a new (to you) engine/transmission from a salvaged RV might be a logical option.

If the rig has over 100K, the interior furnishings and appliances would also be well used. Keep that in mind.

Good luck.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Redjeep. sorry, but I can't help you on your question. lol You've made me wonder though:
I have a '97 class-A gasser and I've never heard of rental "A's" being sold. Where did you find such a place? Online or local to you? THX
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari