cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing saga 454 L29 update

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
The 1997 454 L29 Vortec with the engine noise and other issues has been back from its head gasket repair with brake peddle sticking down and knock present, and idle problem. Knock is upper end valve lifter, and can be heard just behind the water pump and timing chain. Brakes have be analyzed to be bad brake fluid due to overheating brakes as internal spring loaded pedal plunger is sticking. Idle is only fast until engine warms up and is the adjustment on the accelerator cable which was probably spun from proper setting, when intake was removed. Draining out some brake fluid to have it checked. Then fuel and oil will have additives to run it clean before taking off valve cover or replacing the brake master cylinder. It's not the lower end main bearings, says the GM Service advisor after his personal inspection by hearing the noise. That's good now to price parts and run it a while before taking it apart, as if it's carbon in the lifters and just bad brake fluid, it may return to normal function by use not storage, where it will just remain getting worse.
3 REPLIES 3

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
I did use a GM service advisor who is a personal friend, retired. I agree dealers selling parts, (probably on commission), and when not wanting to do work, they send us elsewhere to a kickback friend, who attempts to steal engine by saying it's shot. I found out the place I was sent has been in court over doing work not needed to end up with an engine to sell with and easy fix. Thanks for good friends and this forum, we will help each other. Thanks!

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I had what thought was a valve lifter, but ended up to be a vacuum solenoid on the right bank under the alternator.
I would flush the complete brake fluid system and put in all new high temperature brake fluid.
Sounds like you went o a dealer. I do not care for dealers as they like to throw parts at a problem without fully diagnosing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker