cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Fuel Mileage

RFYeager
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to find out the average fuel mileage for the new Tiffin Allegro Red 34 Diesel. It has the 340hp Cummins with the Allison 2500 transmission. However, it only has 660lb.ft. of torque (probably due to the gearing of the Allison 2500). I tow a Grand Cherokee, which is approximately 4200 lbs. Just trying to make general comparisons when I go to look at buying a new (or different) RV.

I thought that wouldn't it be great if there was a forum or some type of chart where members can post their fuel mileage experience? I understand that everyone's driving styles are different, at different elevations, at different temperatures, etc. I'm just talking about a general average.

For example, I have a 2007 Fleetwood 38V with a CAT 300hp diesel and a Allison 3000 transmission. I get on average (towing my GC) 7.2 mpg. without the Toad, 7.7mpg. These numbers are driving with my cruise control set at 62mph.
53 REPLIES 53

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the OP's original question Flyer had the best answer two vastly different DP's both in weight and power and mileage barely changed! Where this question has value is to someone looking at getting into an RV and not believing the salesman about 10-12 mpg!!! :S Reality is about 7-8 long term whether diesel or gas, big difference with diesel is the weight you are moving, generally 10-30K more than a gas.

I track mileage loosely so as someone above pointed out I know if something changes and I can't account for it. Like drop to 5mpg and I am not running up and down the Sierra's or Rocky's! Something may be wrong and I will be just happy if I hit 9 and hope it does it for another tank, downhill! :B
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
RFYeager wrote:
workhardplayharder wrote:
chili's trip wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, if you are worried about fuel economy you probably should not be thinking about a motorhome of any type or size!

Ad nauseam. There are great opinions out there! This is not one of them. Telling someone not to worry about their MPGs is like telling McDonalds not to worry about the cost of a 7 cent cup. Why worry about cents when you make billions? It all most certainly matters in the end, but then again we already covered this quote; ad nauseam. Obviously the OP doesn't "IMO" your attitude on MPG, or they would not have asked....

There is a big difference in the fuel topic that is common here and the cost per cup for McD's. Yes for the Millions of cups that go into and out of the doors of any fast food chain the price of a cup counts.
However we are talking of a single motor home that is operated by a private owner. What is the average miles a private owner racks up every year? The difference of 1-2 MPG is not going to have that drastic of a impact on the cost of owning, maintaining and operating a RV. If after purchasing the RV the cost of operating an RV that gets 10 MPG vs the cost of operating one that gets 7 MPG is going to impact your usage perhaps RVing is not for them.
Fuel cost and usage is discussed here so much that it almost has become a source of entertainment. To read post of the efforts people will go through to attempt to cut their fuel cost when in reality it is a small part of the cost of owning an RV.

Fuel cost/mile is something the driver has some control. Saving 1 MPG over 10,000 miles approx $550. To dismiss this effort is both condescending and insulting. Good luck.
Jack H

You will have to get up pretty early in the morning to insult me. Unlike many I am not easily offended. I am just trying to show that MPG should be low on the priority when selecting and RV. Floor plan, standard features and/or interest rate if the unit is financed would be much more important.
I would bet that the average RV is driven less than 10,000 miles per year. I on average get 7 MPG on my gas Class A. If I were to get 8 MPG I would have used 178 less gallons to travel the 10k miles and based on $3.50 per gallon spent $623 less dollars during that year. $623 divided by 12 months impacts my annual RV budget by less than $52 per month. I will say it again if $52 per month is going to have an impact on owning an RV perhaps RVing is not for you.

Dude...really? Well good for you, I'm happy that you don't consider fuel mileage when you RV...but I am not retired and I've had to earn everything that I have. Not only that, I am an anal engineer that wasn't looking to find the most economical RV. I was trying to compare horsepower with transmission versus performance versus cost (which mpg plays into). Whatever...

Moderator, PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

I am not retired either and have been paying my way in life since I was 12 years old. I do consider fuel mileage when I travel and I budget my finances. I budget 5 MPG knowing I get 7 MPG. This gives me plenty of buffer. As you can see when reading post it doesn't really matter the HP, transmission, fuel type- they are all going to get similar fuel mileage and it is poor.
What I am not is a "dude", and from what I can tell we are both adults participating in a online conversation, conduct yourself accordingly and refrain from disrespectful "whatever". I am sorry if your feathers are getting ruffled over this touchy subject. Many people get tunnel vision in the ownership of an RV. I enjoy reading the online forums for RVs and other interest that I have. On this forum I see lots of people who are almost paralyzed by fuel cost, extended warranties, insurance. Spending way too much over insuring the RV and not enjoying it.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Don't mean to hijack the thread but....... Fuel cost is the least of my concerns. Campground costs is where the major expense is unless you boondock a lot, which I don't. When I pay as much for a site as a roach motel price costs I hurt a little.
However I want to stay in the MH if at all possible.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

RFYeager
Explorer
Explorer
chili's trip wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, if you are worried about fuel economy you probably should not be thinking about a motorhome of any type or size!

Ad nauseam. There are great opinions out there! This is not one of them. Telling someone not to worry about their MPGs is like telling McDonalds not to worry about the cost of a 7 cent cup. Why worry about cents when you make billions? It all most certainly matters in the end, but then again we already covered this quote; ad nauseam. Obviously the OP doesn't "IMO" your attitude on MPG, or they would not have asked....

There is a big difference in the fuel topic that is common here and the cost per cup for McD's. Yes for the Millions of cups that go into and out of the doors of any fast food chain the price of a cup counts.
However we are talking of a single motor home that is operated by a private owner. What is the average miles a private owner racks up every year? The difference of 1-2 MPG is not going to have that drastic of a impact on the cost of owning, maintaining and operating a RV. If after purchasing the RV the cost of operating an RV that gets 10 MPG vs the cost of operating one that gets 7 MPG is going to impact your usage perhaps RVing is not for them.
Fuel cost and usage is discussed here so much that it almost has become a source of entertainment. To read post of the efforts people will go through to attempt to cut their fuel cost when in reality it is a small part of the cost of owning an RV.

Fuel cost/mile is something the driver has some control. Saving 1 MPG over 10,000 miles approx $550. To dismiss this effort is both condescending and insulting. Good luck.
Jack H

You will have to get up pretty early in the morning to insult me. Unlike many I am not easily offended. I am just trying to show that MPG should be low on the priority when selecting and RV. Floor plan, standard features and/or interest rate if the unit is financed would be much more important.
I would bet that the average RV is driven less than 10,000 miles per year. I on average get 7 MPG on my gas Class A. If I were to get 8 MPG I would have used 178 less gallons to travel the 10k miles and based on $3.50 per gallon spent $623 less dollars during that year. $623 divided by 12 months impacts my annual RV budget by less than $52 per month. I will say it again if $52 per month is going to have an impact on owning an RV perhaps RVing is not for you.

Dude...really? Well good for you, I'm happy that you don't consider fuel mileage when you RV...but I am not retired and I've had to earn everything that I have. Not only that, I am an anal engineer that wasn't looking to find the most economical RV. I was trying to compare horsepower with transmission versus performance versus cost (which mpg plays into). Whatever...

Moderator, PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
chili's trip wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

Jack H

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
My 38ft DP towing my race car gets around 7mpg. I just drove a 45ft DP from LA to Orlando towing a race car trailer and got around 7--7.5mpg averaging 65mph. The 45 had a 500hp motor and mine has a 330hp motor----does this mean anything?????

Thank you. I found that tidbit to be very interesting.

Personally, since I'm not yet retired, I think I'm going to stick with getting a gas MH to use until I do retire.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 38ft DP towing my race car gets around 7mpg. I just drove a 45ft DP from LA to Orlando towing a race car trailer and got around 7--7.5mpg averaging 65mph. The 45 had a 500hp motor and mine has a 330hp motor----does this mean anything?????

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I love these mpg posts (not)

Fact is, a full size class a motorhome, gas or diesel, will get 7-8 mpg.

Second fact is, the variable with the largest input is road speed. No matter what you drive, the slower you go, the better mpg you will get.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

Analogy given was not for scope but attention to detailed cost reporting. From that perspective, the analogy is adequate.

Bill

I say it is apples to oranges but you can keep counting pennies while spending dollars if you would like.
Me I fill it up drive it and fill up again before I get to 1/4 tank so the generator won't shut down.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

Analogy given was not for scope but attention to detailed cost reporting. From that perspective, the analogy is adequate.

Bill
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

11B
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

X2

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
LennyH wrote:
Let me just say this, If your concerns are about Fuel mileage, You should have consisted that before starting Rv’ing, With that said Lets just say 65% of the cost of your RV Travels Will be Fuel. 😞

Happy Camping

LennyH

Changes in expected MPG is a good warning sign of engine or other issues. Only the most foolish amongst us do not keep track of such information.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley